PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Salmon & Halbut trip

Hill 60 Kid
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's something I've wanted to do since I was 5 yrs old. And this year, the cards fell right and we went for 4 days (my wife too, which was nice...she had a lot of fun being relatively new to fishing). We went with an outfit called Kain's out of Sitka Alaska. Nice operation, friendly and good equipment.

We did mooching for Salmon and set a few lines up for butt. Not a cheap endeavour but certainly enjoyed our time on the water. Up around 5am and back around 4pm. We limited in Kings (one each) and Halibut (one each) everyday but Cohos were harder to come by (limit 6 each), apparently hadn't really set up shop yet. Thankfully some decent kings were around (got a 39lb, fun!). And a friend got a 110lb Halibut (3 of us worked it) and I managed a 92lb. Actually the guy who caught the big one had a string of 3 Ling Cod (not in season) so this fish almost pulled him in! LOL. Not sure what was the funniest....people running to puke over the side of the boat or the captain looking for a bat to beat on the big Halibut's :lol:

Came back with about 180lbs of fish....not sure what we would've done if the Cohos were on:scared:

Lots of fun, might try BC for the next one. Will attach some pics if I can figure it out.
Cheers and here comes hunting season!

Hill 60 Kid

ryisnky
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Looks like a good haul; nice fish guys!

splitflame
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I am VERY jealous. Looks like an amazing trip

Geezle
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice pics, looks like it was a blast! :cool:

Jamie
09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
That pic of the coast line really brings me back to those 2 Brown Bear hunts I did.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a good trip.
If your interested in BC Salmon fishing, check out the Salmon fishing thread. Tons of info there.

Jamie