PDA

View Full Version : Paid boat launches in the County of Lacombe

antler1
03-18-2022, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't come up for discussion?

Lacombe County to launch paid parking program at beach and boat launches
Mar 6, 2022 | 2:25 PM

Visitors to Sandy Point Beach, Sandy Point Boat Launch, and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch in Lacombe County will soon be required to pay for parking.

Effective May 1, 2022, Lacombe County is launching what officials describe as a quick and easy payment system for parking through HotSpot Parking Inc.

“With an increasing amount of people accessing the lake via the beach and boat launches, Lacombe County felt it was the time to implement a payment system for users of these amenities. This will assist with the maintenance and upkeep of these facilities, as well as help provide for future needs,” said Tim Timmons, County Manager for Lacombe County. “HotSpot Parking will be convenient for users and will ensure safe, maintained lake access for all users to enjoy.”

Paid parking will be required for anyone to park at the following rates:

Sandy Point Beach parking lot ($3/hour or $15 for the day)
Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launches
$20/day to launch and park
$10 to launch only
$10 for additional vehicle parking only with no trailer

For 2022, Lacombe County Community Peace Officers and contracted Commissionaires will use a combination of education and parking violation tags to enforce these new requirements. Lacombe County will be setting up signage in all parking lots to direct users to use their mobile devices to pay for parking with HotSpot Parking Inc.

dodger
03-18-2022, 03:33 PM
The user fee thingy will be used by all levels of government to bleed us dry. I use the Southern reservoirs so I expect this to happen next year. Tons of maintenance goes into that concrete slap going into the water.

Dodger.

Vacation
03-18-2022, 03:37 PM
Brutal...not surprising either. Sigh.

dshot
03-18-2022, 03:44 PM
Does it apply to all users? Interested if Lacombe county residents/property owners who already get taxed out the wazoo have to pay.

Taxes are already going to maintain boat launches within the county, seems like another cash grab.

dodgeboy1979
03-18-2022, 03:56 PM
The Devon boat launch is pay access as well. I have no problem with it if the money does go towards upkeep of the site.

Smoky buck
03-18-2022, 04:28 PM
Sold my 16.5 kingfisher and going kayak only so I won’t need no stinking boat launch anymore :sHa_shakeshout:

nick0danger
03-18-2022, 04:53 PM
Well everyone will be using the other launches at Gull lake now.

dutchman
03-19-2022, 06:22 PM
This will assist with the maintenance and upkeep of these facilities, as well as help provide for future needs,” .

This must be an early April fools joke , right?
Example, Sunbreaker is a joke, there's never any maintenance there. The floating docks have been missing the tie downs the last few years. It needs to be dredged out. And heaven forbid if you need to use the outhouse, not sure if it was ever cleaned last season.
Gull lake, the provincial launch has been out of commission for several years.
For the amount of taxes we already pay, I don't see why they need more. I thought the lakes were for everyone's use, but access is getting difficult.
I use those frequently, so if going fishing 20 times during the summer, i can add $400 to the bill.....yippee

Puma
03-19-2022, 08:41 PM
For the amount of taxes we already pay, I don't see why they need more. I thought the lakes were for everyone's use, but access is getting difficult.
I use those frequently, so if going fishing 20 times during the summer, i can add $400 to the bill.....yippee

Something like visiting Kananaskis or random camping on public lands ?

Freedom55
03-20-2022, 05:41 AM
I never go fishing without a fiver and some ones. It is rare to come across a Free boat launch anywhere, anymore. The Free ones are generally unusable for any boat trailer you want to keep. On the other hand, try buying a whole trout or a couple of walleye filet in any super market for $7.00

Free (to avoid Lacombe County):)

nick0danger
03-20-2022, 09:17 AM
I never go fishing without a fiver and some ones. It is rare to come across a Free boat launch anywhere, anymore. The Free ones are generally unusable for any boat trailer you want to keep. On the other hand, try buying a whole trout or a couple of walleye filet in any super market for $7.00

Free (to avoid Lacombe County):)

Well if you buy from the store, you don't need a fishing rod, lures, fishing license, in your case a boat (which means fuel, and maintenance), so really the boat launch fee is quite cheap, but so would be buying fish at the market.

Freedom55
03-20-2022, 12:58 PM
Well if you buy from the store, you don't need a fishing rod, lures, fishing license, in your case a boat (which means fuel, and maintenance), so really the boat launch fee is quite cheap, but so would be buying fish at the market.

Not to put too fine a point on it :)

barbless
03-21-2022, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post

And another $400+ for fuel for boat and truck :sign0176:. Maybe they will have a seasons pass to cover a few lakes? :thinking-006:

Jayhad
03-21-2022, 11:26 AM
I know it is another expense but fishing is cheap, you ever pay for green fees?

:argue2:

barbless
03-21-2022, 11:51 AM
I know it is another expense but fishing is cheap, you ever pay for green fees?

:argue2:

Carbon Tax and electric cars. Compost Green Carts :sHa_sarcasticlol:

coyotezh
04-18-2022, 08:38 AM
didn't see this coming! specially at Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch. fishing also becoming rich people's game now? :thinking-006:

TROLLER
04-18-2022, 09:22 AM
This exact topic was posted last year as well.

Nothing came of it so to me it is a wait and see.

fish99
04-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Mulhurst now has $20. paid parking for truck and boat trailer

coyotezh
04-18-2022, 10:35 AM
$20/day
Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launches$20/day to launch and park, $10 to launch only, $10 for additional vehicle parking only with no trailer.

Mar 3, 2022

fordtruckin
04-22-2022, 08:15 PM
The Devon boat launch is pay access as well. I have no problem with it if the money does go towards upkeep of the site.

That is the key right there! Been years since I've been up there so I don't know the current condition of the launch but if they take money and don't put it back into that specific infrastructure I'd be PO'd! :sign0161:

barbless
04-24-2022, 08:12 AM
It mentions you can pay online in advance but come early cause you are not guaranteed a parking spot. Really? One would think a spot could be held for an hour or two if paid in advance. They had better start out real fresh at the beginning of the season and keep up with the cleaning of the washrooms. Put in decent docks (maybe put another one in).
For the ones who use the Sunbreaker at Sylvan as kinda a regular launch. There is an open spot about 1/4 mile up the road that looks like a parking lot (on the right side when leaving the lake) is that like an overflow lot or is it a private owned piece of property? Anyone Know :thinking-006:?