PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River Fishing Trip

Gunnar 17
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Thought I'd post a few pics from my Fraser River fishin trip last week. Salmon fishing was slow but had a blast catching sturgeon. Our group caught 7 over 6' long. Biggest being 7'2" (approx 200lbs).

Cheers.

dss44
09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
That is sweet! Sturgeon fishing is intense...thinking about getting into setting up a guiding business that during the off season for salmon.

WayneChristie
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
great pics!! too bad you couldnt bring those home and release them in the SSR!!:lol:

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Nice! I was under the impression that 4' was about average. Were you fishing in the valley or the canyon?

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 09:31 AM
You're sunrise pic is award winning....love that photo. Nice river sharks too :)

PoorTurtle
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice! I was under the impression that 4' was about average. Were you fishing in the valley or the canyon?

the sturgeon in AB are lake sturgeon and the record is just over 100 lbs i believe. in the Fraser they have white sturgeon and can reach over 800lbs

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
the sturgeon in AB are lake sturgeon and the record is just over 100 lbs i believe. in the Fraser they have white sturgeon and can reach over 800lbs

True. But, what CAN be caught isn't always the same as what IS caught. I was under the impression that 4' was about the average catch in the valley, with the occasional monster thrown in.

tbosch
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
True. But, what CAN be caught isn't always the same as what IS caught. I was under the impression that 4' was about the average catch in the valley, with the occasional monster thrown in.

Smallest i've ever caught in the fraser was around the 4' mark. Average has been closer to 5+' with many 6+ footers.

alwaysfishn
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Nice spring! I see you were fishing at my favorite bar..

Of course living in Chilliwack I get to fish there several times a week. :)

angler1
09-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Looks like Pegleg.

Walleyes
09-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Great stuff Gunnar,, some real nice fish there. Definetly on the to do list for this cat in the next couple years.

I love that last pic,, makes a guy want to pack up and leave...

Thx for sharing...

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Nice spring! I see you were fishing at my favorite bar..

Of course living in Chilliwack I get to fish there several times a week. :)

I lived in Chilliwack for 14 years, and for some reason we always went somewhere else to fish! Seems kind of silly.

I'm trying to plan a sturgeon trip next summer.

Gunnar 17
09-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I lived in Chilliwack for 14 years, and for some reason we always went somewhere else to fish! Seems kind of silly.

I'm trying to plan a sturgeon trip next summer.

Would highly recommend it. Catchin them 6+ footers is a blast. You are looking at close to a 1/2hr of fighting and a tired left arm when done! Could not imagine a 10'+ which our guide claimed could take close to 2hrs to land. I will definantly go back.

Would agree with tbosch, being that the average size our group caught was probably close to 5'. Although the smallest you would have had to stretch the tape to make 3'!

Thanks for the comments on the sunrise pic. Being there for that made up for having to get up at 5am!!!

Cheers

tchow
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
FYI
Taken off the Forum:

Sturgeon 105.000 caught by H. Muskovilch in the South Sask. River Ab (1981)

For bigger fish, the Fraser wins hands down.
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Would highly recommend it. Catchin them 6+ footers is a blast. You are looking at close to a 1/2hr of fighting and a tired left arm when done! Could not imagine a 10'+ which our guide claimed could take close to 2hrs to land. I will definantly go back.

Would agree with tbosch, being that the average size our group caught was probably close to 5'. Although the smallest you would have had to stretch the tape to make 3'!

Thanks for the comments on the sunrise pic. Being there for that made up for having to get up at 5am!!!

Cheers

:lol: I'm not that strong. I don't know if I have it in me to land a 6' sturgeon. I do have a big teenage son who would get a serious thrill out of it, though. I'd be thrilled just to see the look on his face :)

alwaysfishn
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Looks like Pegleg.

No, it's not Pegleg. I think it's called Middle Bar, just above Jesperson Road Launch. You can only get there by boat.

There is a real good sturgeon hole on the other side of the river. Is that where you caught your sturgeon Gunnar?

Gunnar 17
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
We caught all of our sturgeon upstream of the bridge that crosses the Fraser between Agassiz and Chilliwack. Can't remember what the guides called the bar we were salmon fishing on. It was about a one beer boat ride downstream of the bridge!!

Rigg dogg
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Great pics, looks like you guys had a good time.
We are going Oct 15-17th hope we do as well.

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 09:42 AM
We caught all of our sturgeon upstream of the bridge that crosses the Fraser between Agassiz and Chilliwack. Can't remember what the guides called the bar we were salmon fishing on. It was about a one beer boat ride downstream of the bridge!!

Was this close to where you were salmon fishing?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=gill+road+chilliwack&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=ca&ei=T3CqSvqhB4H2sgOh_q36BA&ll=49.215158,-121.819668&spn=0.016624,0.055575&t=h&z=15

I'm very familiar with that area.

I did see one sturgeon come out of the water there around 20 years ago, but not in the normal hook and line fashion. Gill Rd was where the bush parties used to be when I was in highschool. A drunk buddy went into the water and landed (or something) on a big ol' sturgeon. The two of them came up flailing, and buddy was completely spazzing out. My memory of the event could be a little hazy, for various reasons. I don't think anyone can say 100% what happened. Scared the heck out of me, and I never partied there again.

Big fish
09-11-2009, 10:13 AM
what did you caught
those springs on?

Gunnar 17
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Was this close to where you were salmon fishing?

Further downstream. Can't tell exactly where by looking at the map though.

As for how we were catching them, I don't want to start a big ethical debate about right and wrong ways to catch salmon, but we were flossing them. Same as the 50 other guys on the bar at the time.

BigIrv
09-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Who did you use for a guiding service? I fished there a few years ago with STS. Great guys and great fishing. Chasing a 20lb chinook down the river was pretty awesome. Need to get back there soon.

alwaysfishn
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
As for how we were catching them, I don't want to start a big ethical debate about right and wrong ways to catch salmon, but we were flossing them. Same as the 50 other guys on the bar at the time.

It's legal and it's as ethical as any other legal method including a net . :)
Discussing the ethics is as pointless as discussing the various hunting methods people use and the ethics of those.

Did you cook up some of your spring yet?