PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun area ice

rusbo09
03-22-2022, 07:09 PM
There was over 2 feet of ice on the 19th(about 18inches of clear) on the west side. with the walleye being super active and a couple good pike making an appearance. Wondering if anyone has any idea/reports on how quick she’s melting. Wondering if it’s worth it to head out Friday, with due diligence(picks/float)? Don’t often get a chance to get out so late in the season so not a ton of experience with speed of ice off in this kind of year.

Any insight would be appreciated

Cheers,

timsesink
03-22-2022, 08:52 PM
The ice will still be more than thick enough. The challenge will be how soft the first 2-3 inches are.

lakerman
03-23-2022, 05:30 AM
Boat launch in town had topwater mess happening last week, there was a path closer to the dock that cars were using, little nerve racking at the end of day coming off in the dark, the solitude was priceless though.

Stirlingville
03-23-2022, 07:31 AM
how thick is the ice now? is it safe

newscientist
03-23-2022, 05:15 PM
Man, It is 18°c. I am afraid no more driving on the lake this season. I still have some hope to bring the slid on it this Friday though https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220323/5f798a786d1323d8fe51b519e4ef8c02.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

rusbo09
03-24-2022, 12:18 PM
The ice will still be more than thick enough. The challenge will be how soft the first 2-3 inches are.

Thank you very much, going to get a decent freeze so hopefully flood water isn’t to messy. Guess I’ll head out and give one last kick at the can. Catch fish while I can.

newscientist
03-26-2022, 11:50 AM
Went yesterday and drove on the ice. We still have a chance for the hard water this weekend

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Sportsman
03-27-2022, 12:42 AM
Went out yesterday, drove all the way from town across the lake to Trans Alta on the ice no problem. 26” of ice still and no flood water.

ConnorNay
04-02-2022, 04:53 PM
On another note does anyone know when Wabamun melts? Have a new boat I'm excited to get on the water :)

Talking moose
04-02-2022, 05:52 PM
On another note does anyone know when Wabamun melts? Have a new boat I'm excited to get on the water :)

Depends what n the weather of course. Big lakes can be well into may. Some years mid April. Should be some of the smaller lakes opening up a week or two before wab if you can’t wait.

Penner
04-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Depends what n the weather of course. Big lakes can be well into may. Some years mid April. Should be some of the smaller lakes opening up a week or two before wab if you can’t wait.

Lol, they ain’t be any boat worthy lakes opening around the Edmonton area for weeks yet.

If its a seasonal April by the 1st week of May lakes like Wab should be ice free.

TroutBaus
04-04-2022, 05:05 PM
3rd week of april to the 1st week of may my calander says ice offf

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Talking moose
04-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Lol, they ain’t be any boat worthy lakes opening around the Edmonton area for weeks yet.

If its a seasonal April by the 1st week of May lakes like Wab should be ice free.

That’s what I said…….depends on the year.

SamSteele
04-05-2022, 07:34 AM

Lac Ste Anne would likely be open earlier than Wab. If you go there for a maiden voyage, be very aware of the areas with rocks just below the surface. I’ve seen a few new boaters take their outboard legs off hitting those on their first trip out.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmeinder
04-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Lac Ste Anne would likely be open earlier than Wab. If you go there for a maiden voyage, be very aware of the areas with rocks just below the surface. I’ve seen a few new boaters take their outboard legs off hitting those on their first trip out.

There is also a steel cable that I hit hard on the west side of the lake through the narrows, just slightly east off the north tip of the larger island. The water level was so low, the same route I was using maybe 3 weeks prior wasn't an issue.

Prop looked like it went through a meat grinder, and I have minimal skeg. Not sure if its enough for the JBWeld fix, lol. Likely going to need a skeg guard. Prop's being reconditioned as we speak. (yes I procrastinated sending it in very much!)

dmeinder
04-08-2022, 12:30 PM
Attached a markup of the location.