PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle

JBE
03-23-2022, 01:50 PM
Have there been any changes with Canada Post lately for shipping a rifle?
In a box with bolt removed and packaged separately in the box is still good I assume?

marky_mark
03-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Have there been any changes with Canada Post lately for shipping a rifle?
In a box with bolt removed and packaged separately in the box is still good I assume?

They want you to have a business account
Basically you do everything at home and just drop it off

I don’t think the bolt being removed is a big deal

JBE
03-23-2022, 02:11 PM
Well I went on Canada Post site and seems they want it in a locked case with bolt removed and a trigger lock.

I do have the business account

huntwat
03-23-2022, 02:12 PM
Well I went on Canada Post sight and seems they want it in a locked case with bolt removed and a trigger lock.

I do have the business account

What if it’s a win 94???

pikergolf
03-23-2022, 03:11 PM
I removed the bolt, but shipped it in the same box and put a lock on it. If they X-ray it, which I suspect this is all for, they will be able to tell that it cannot go off.

JBE
03-23-2022, 03:29 PM
I removed the bolt, but shipped it in the same box and put a lock on it. If they X-ray it, which I suspect this is all for, they will be able to tell that it cannot go off.

Key for lock in same box?

marky_mark
03-23-2022, 03:52 PM

As far as I have been told they don’t X-ray packages sent within canada. They don’t open them either since they are not going through customs

Bubs11
03-23-2022, 05:01 PM
I shipped a rifle this morning via Canada Post, the box was wrapped in brown paper. The clerk asked if it was a dangerous good, I said nope off it went without a second look.

brewster29
03-23-2022, 06:17 PM
If you sign up for a small business account and print your own labels you simply drop the box at your local PO desk. I shipped three in the last two weeks, no questions asked. It helps to separate the action from the stock so everything fits in a 34" box and thus doesn't look like a firearm...plus it saves the oversized charge.

pikergolf
03-23-2022, 06:21 PM

If I send a keyed lock, I send it in an envelope. A combination I send by email.

kw12
03-23-2022, 09:36 PM
I’ve got probably 10 guns shipped out to me from my father in Nova Scotia and not once has anyone asked what was in the box and he just shipped it as a normal package.

sns2
03-24-2022, 06:21 AM
I have had lots of nosy Canada post employees ask me what is in the box. Sporting goods.

58thecat
03-24-2022, 06:52 AM
If I send a keyed lock, I send it in an envelope. A combination I send by email.

Exactly, never had a problem shipping or receiving through Canada post, no questions asked but was too deep if the question does pop up say sporting goods.

Ackleyman
03-28-2022, 07:31 PM
JBE , i would strongly suggest a small business account. It's free and simple and the legal way to ship using Canada Post. Its not hard for them to figure out what's in a 50" x 6" x 6" box. Canada Post can open anything except letters for inspection. Your dealing with the Fed's and doing things illegal with firearms could cause you big grief , like a revoked pal. Not overly likely but why risk it ?
I shipped guns for years and the CP employees got increasingly nosy. Now i box them up , they send you a bar code , go to PO and they will print the label and your gonzo. Easy.

brewster29
03-28-2022, 07:44 PM
I have had lots of nosy Canada post employees ask me what is in the box. Sporting goods.

Precision paper punch, machine tools

JBE
03-28-2022, 07:51 PM
JBE , i would strongly suggest a small business account. It's free and simple and the legal way to ship using Canada Post. Its not hard for them to figure out what's in a 50" x 6" x 6" box. Canada Post can open anything except letters for inspection. Your dealing with the Fed's and doing things illegal with firearms could cause you big grief , like a revoked pal. Not overly likely but why risk it ?
I shipped guns for years and the CP employees got increasingly nosy. Now i box them up , they send you a bar code , go to PO and they will print the label and your gonzo. Easy.

I actually have the small business account. I hadn't shipped one for a while though. The last time I shipped the rifle was in the factory box wrapped in brown paper, easy no problem. The reason I asked is I had a rifle shipped to me a few weeks back and it was shipped in a hard plastic case, no wrapping but padlocks on the case and keys shipped separately. Obvious what it was but no problems. I have to ship one in the near future so I think I will break it down and ship in smaller box.

huntingfamily
03-28-2022, 07:55 PM
I always tell them it's a firearm if they ask. Haven't had a problem with the new system. Perfectly legal, so far, to ship through Canada Post.
Cheers

kujoseto
03-28-2022, 10:08 PM
The Sherwood Park post office is pretty on the ball with identifying and asking directly if it’s a firearm.
They directed me to the policies that came into effect May 2020 I believe. As mentioned, the business account and printing your own label is what they want most along with wrapping around the box so it isn’t easily identifiable what the contents are. They want signature required and confirmation the recipient is 18+. Well, you confirm age when you check the PAL and call the number to confirm validity of PAL. For non restricted, step 1 a in the link below:

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/buying-and-selling-transferring-firearms

I was told the policy change occurred after someone came home to see their kid had received the gun delivered by Canada Post and opened the box - story was the kid had the gun out when the parents walked in the door. No way for me to verify that though. My own experience with receiving a rifle with signature required was walking up to the front step in broad daylight with the box left in plain sight. Glad I forgot something when I headed out for work or it would’ve been there for many hours longer.

Canfor and UPS weren’t willing to ship when I called.

A friend has started a courier business that ships firearms though!
Not sure what pricing is like. I’m guessing it’s business to business like distributor to retail store but don’t know the details yet.