PDA

View Full Version : Savage

bezzola
03-26-2022, 08:55 AM
My son picked up a 1952 savage 99 caliber 300 savage its not mint but in good shape. It has a shell counter window on the side of it loads from the top when lever is open. The shells get loaded into a rotating cylinder. I have a few old guns but not seen one like this. Where could i find iut the more about it and value.

catnthehat
03-26-2022, 09:04 AM
I'm sure Facebook has a Savage 99 group, I know there is a Savage owners group as well.
If you join ghe 24 hour campfire forum , there is a Savage owners group thete that can tell you exactly the year , month and number made of your particular rifle .
Cat

Big Grey Wolf
03-26-2022, 09:11 AM
My first elk/moose gun was model 99 in 30-30. I really liked the rifle still used it for wolves on trapline.

270person
03-26-2022, 09:27 AM
Should be lots of info available via Google search. Pretty common rifle. My dad owned a circa 1957 99F (I believe the F signified featherweight), in .308 that's still in the family. Brass rotating cartridge counter on the side of the receiver and I think the mag held 6 or 7 cartridges. Pretty little guns and solidly built.

I only used it a time or two when i was in my teens and didnt find it to be particulary accurate but it was a stock rifle with zero done to it that might have improved that. I believe I've read that the forestock is one of the inaccuracy causes so that would be a pretty simple fix. The spring for the round counter/ rotating mag on this one was malfunctioning and had lost all tension, so it pretty much would function only as a single or at most 2 shot rifle. Probably a fairly common issue, and some hack for a gunsmith in Calgary told my brother they cannot be fixed or replaced. I've since found out that this is not the case and there's smith's in Edmonton that can do the job.

I'm not a lever action fan so never paid it a ton of attention but for a bush carry rifle in .308 they'd be a tough gun to beat for close in deer, bear, or moose hunting. Certainly not a long range sniper.

antlercarver
03-26-2022, 09:28 AM
I inherited a 250-3000 savage from Dad. Shot several moose, deer, bears, coyotes, beavers, used it to butcher beef, good all round tool. Have past it on
to a grandson.

JULIUS
03-26-2022, 01:53 PM
my son has the exact sounding savage 99 in 300 savage. He inherited from one of my brothers. the first 4 rounds he fired from it took four deer all on the same trip. Farthest was at about 200yds with the open sights. These guns have shot moose deer and black bear without any problem. Sounds like you have a keeper enjoy it.

Mavrick
03-26-2022, 05:16 PM
I have a 99F, my dad gave to me in 1980. He bought it new in 1958, both him and I have taken deer, moose, elk, bear and a coyote or two with it. The wood and blueing on it are still very good and I hunt with it every season.

No problems with the magazine spring or counter, and it shoots well enough to put meat in the freezer every year. In my opinion your son has found a gem of history, and hope he enjoys it.

PaintearthCounty
03-26-2022, 05:25 PM
If you need parts for your Savage , Western Gun Parts in Edmonton might be able to help , 1 780 489 5711

fps plus
03-26-2022, 06:29 PM
The Savage 99 was quite an innovative gun for it’s time (1899 ) . The caliber 250-3000 was able to hit 3000 fps when the 30-30 was the standard of the time . The rotary magazine instead of a tube could handle pointed bullets. They are still a cool firearm. They call them the model 99 because 99% of the stocks crack !
I was lucky enough to find an original 1899 in 250-3000 takedown that has not been altered nor is the stock cracked.
A good friend was fantastic and we worked out a deal where I got both a Lyman tang and receiver sight for a 99

There is lots of good info on the savage 99 out there .