PDA

View Full Version : Asap

gprime27
09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm in Calgary and from lethbridge. I want to stop by pcr today! I'm staying on macleoud trail.

Where do I get minnows / shinners?

Thanks in advance

Norman
09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I usually stop in nanton at the truck stop and get minnows there while im on my way out to PCR.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Any Canadian tire, there are a couple on mcleod trail south.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Yup, the places suggested are good ones. I'd go with the minnows rather than smelts. So if they don't have minnows at the first place you check, don't buy the smelts. They seemed a little more interested in the minnows this weekend. We didn't do very well with the smelts.

Mudslide
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Can you use minnows at PCR? I thought it was only smelts allowed?

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
You can, new regulation this year...you can use minnows.

Pine Coulee Reservoir
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait allowed.
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

And from changes in 2009:

Walleye

Bait restrictions have been removed on Pine Coulee Reservoir where the stocked walleye are showing positive signs of creating a self- sustaining walleye population.

A small harvest of walleye is possible from Kehiwin and Floatingstone lakes in the northeast. Special walleye licences will be issued to control the harvest while enabling the recovery of the stocks.

The Orloff Lake walleye limit has been reduced to one fish over 43 cm to protect stocks.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
PCR is in ES1. Minnows are allowed in ES1, with the exception of the Western Silvery Minnow. PCR is not listed under the "Lake and Stream Listings" as having a bait-ban.

Therefore, minnows are allowed in PCR.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
PCR is in ES1. Minnows are allowed in PP1, with the exception of the Western Silvery Minnow. PCR is not listed under the "Lake and Stream Listings" as having a bait-ban.

Therefore, minnows are allowed in PCR.

I know you haven't been fishing in a while, but until last year you couldn't use minnows in PCR...only smelt. That's why in your regs its in "important changes for 2009".

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I know you haven't been fishing in a while, but until last year you couldn't use minnows in PCR...only smelt. That's why in your regs its in "important changes for 2009".

You didn't catch my big goof! :lol: You've preserved it for posterity, though ;)

I fixed my post . . . PCR is in ES1 :o

True. Until this year I had never fished in Alberta, and it had been years since I had fished in BC. I make it a habit to check and double check the regulations though. I'll do the same next year.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Haha, NP. Not sure if the fishing zone really matters anyway...

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Haha, NP. Not sure if the fishing zone really matters anyway...

Sure it does . . . hard to find a lake listed under the Lake and Stream Listings if you're looking in the wrong place :o

I'm not sure how the regs differ between the watershed groups, as I haven't examined them in great detail. I just read them for the specific waterbodies.

But, you're probably correct. They likely don't matter that much.

blwlaw823
09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Fishing with Bait Fish (dead) is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters:
-Paine (Mami) Lake
-Lees Lake
-Ghost Reservoir

Bait not equal to Bait Fish

Bait allowed doesn't mean Bait fish allowed

therefore No Minnows in PCR??

Please correct me if I am wrong

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Fishing with Bait Fish (dead) is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters:
-Paine (Mami) Lake
-Lees Lake
-Ghost Reservoir

Bait not equal to Bait Fish

Bait allowed doesn't mean Bait fish allowed

therefore No Minnows in PCR??

Please correct me if I am wrong

Wow. I think you're correct. I've used frozen (dead) bait fish in there twice, and had my oldest son do it once :eek:

I checked the differences between ES1 and PP1. I made that mistake as I thought PCR was in PP1 when I looked at the map. Crap.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Ok, I'm confused too...scratching my head here. I haven't been to PCR since before they stocked the lake with walleye, so I'm not sure. But if you search PCR on here, everyone uses minnows. When reading the regs, I've skimmed over the "Fishing with Bait Fish (dead) is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters" this morning for some reason, just thought that it referred to streams.

Hmmm....can someone clarify? If you can't use minnows, lots of people have been told on this forum that it IS OK and that's what to use. Are we all wrong here?

blwlaw823
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Might be when people say "Minnows", they refer to "Smelts"?
:)

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I think we're all wrong. It was probably a mistake made by a couple of people, and then perpetuated by "everyone" else.

The regs are pretty clear when looking in the correct watershed area. PCR is really close to the watershed boundary, and that could be why the mistake is being made.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM

When I say "minnows" I mean just that. We used smelts last time, but I don't think those are allowed either. I've also used anchovies. I don't think any dead bait fish are allowed.

Like I said in a previous thread, I feel like I need a lawyer to go through the regs for me. :cry:

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Negative....search for PCR. There are a lot of people that say..."use minnows if you want or smelts in chunks, smelts are cheaper and because the bite is good why not use smelts". So they definitely are refering to minnows.

McDeth
09-09-2009, 10:35 AM
BAH. Gulp minnows (in the watermelon pearl pattern) work just as well as dead minnows at this kindergarden lake.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
True dat, I use a lot of plastics now a days...but that still doesn't solve the problem of everyone use minnows at PCR. Maybe someone should call F&W and then post results...I'll never go to PCR but a lot of my friends on here do and don't want anyone breaking the rules.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
My son loved PCR . . . it's great for kids or anglers who don't have a whole of experiance :) I've promised to take 5 of my nephews out there next summer.

I know what you mean . . . I don't want to see anyone going against the regs, either. This is a huge error that's been made. Looking at the map, PCR is maybe 5 kilometres inside ES1. The watershed boundary is on the west side of the #2.

There's no way I'm gonna call F&W on this one. Maybe the mods can be convinced to post a sticky for PCR indicating that no bait fish can be used . . . only "bait."

blwlaw823
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
To my understanding:
Smelts is not "bait fish" and may be used where "bait fish" is banned and bait is allowed. In this case, smelts can be used in PCR.
Again, correct me if I am wrong :)

If you are not 100% sure, just use worms? :D

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
To my understanding:
Smelts is not "bait fish" and may be used where "bait fish" is banned and bait is allowed. In this case, smelts can be used in PCR.
Again, correct me if I am wrong :)

If you are not 100% sure, just use worms? :D

I think you're right about the smelts:

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the sal****er families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, smelts are OK to use for sure. They are not bait fish, as long as they come from salt water.

AlbertaAngler
09-10-2009, 11:55 AM
From a friend with F&W

Hi xxxx,

Further to our discussion, here’s the relevant info from the appropriate 2009 Variation Order. You can use dead bait fish on Pine Coulee Reservoir. We simply neglected to add Pine Coulee Reservoir to the list on page 26 of the 2009 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations. I’ve made a note to add it to the 2010 Guide.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
From a friend with F&W

Hi xxxx,

Further to our discussion, here’s the relevant info from the appropriate 2009 Variation Order. You can use dead bait fish on Pine Coulee Reservoir. We simply neglected to add Pine Coulee Reservoir to the list on page 26 of the 2009 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations. I’ve made a note to add it to the 2010 Guide.

That's good to know. Thanks for checking. I won't use minnows there again until it is actually added though!

AlbertaAngler
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
It is in the variance order and therefore law (he sent a jpg of the order). It is an error in the guide, the regs win if they differ. So I'll be using minnows, but use your own discretion. He also cc'd the officers in the district so everyone should be on the same page

cheers

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Can you post the jpg, or would that reveal personal information? It would be great to be able to print up a copy to put in my tackle box.

AlbertaAngler
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
see if this works

nicemustang
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
OK, was going to call myself....but thanks. We should start a new thread informing all the members as they probably aren't reading this one....

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Cool :) Thanks so much. I'll keep a copy in each of our tackel boxes, just in case there is any trouble (which there shouldn't be).