PDA

View Full Version : Waders Question

pyke88
09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I am investing in a new pair of waders for fly fishing. Looking for a reasonable value : price item. Does anyone have any feedback on a quality product under $200. What features should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Scott N
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I am investing in a new pair of waders for fly fishing. Looking for a reasonable value : price item. Does anyone have any feedback on a quality product under $200. What features should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of fishing do you usually do? If you spend a lot of time in a belly boat, you might consider going with neoprene waders. If you spend a lot of time walking along the riverbanks, you might want to go with breathable waders.

Generally, neoprene waders are warmer than breathables. You can work up a good sweat in the summer with them though. Breathables are more comfortable in warmer weather, but you'll require layers of clothing if you fish during colder times of the year. Breathables are probably not the best choice of you do a lot of belly boating as there can be issues with premature wear.

You should be able to find a good pair of Bare brand waders for under $200. Breathables are more money and probably over your $200 budget for a pair of quality waders.

TroutHunter
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Redington "wayfarers" are a excellent product at a fair price. You can pick them up for about $220 , a little over your budget but well worth it. I've used mine very heavily for 2 years , and so far absolutely no complaints. Simms Blackfoots are usually about $180-200 a friend of mine owns a pair and quite likes them they don,t have a reinforced knee though or a wading belt. Redington also has the "Crosswaters" which are usually in the $150 range again , they are breathable but no reinforced knee or wading belt.