PDA

View Full Version : 2nd set of TRITON batteries in 2.5 years???

bsnyder
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
:wave:cant bieleve they only last 2ish years,thats over$200 a year average for batteries:tongue2:Maybe Trojans are no good?Boat allways garaged and batteries topped off all winter, they should last better:huh: Are gell batteries any better ?Allways seem to fail in the middle of a tourny too:tongue2:

javlin101
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
do you run them below 50% charge. I have 2 T105's in my motorhome & are going on 4 years old. I even by stupidity ran them dry once but re filled & charged back to life. I have 2 Canadiantire deep cycle marine batts in my boat (2nd year now) but after the first year they are charging to only 90%.

bsnyder
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
do you run them below 50% charge. I have 2 T105's in my motorhome & are going on 4 years old. I even by stupidity ran them dry once but re filled & charged back to life. I have 2 Canadiantire deep cycle marine batts in my boat (2nd year now) but after the first year they are charging to only 90%.

:wave:Ya i tryed Canadian Tire ones and they never make it to the second year.:tongue2:The batteries are usually almost allways dead after pushing the big 2025 areound all day, shouldnt hurt them , thats what ( spacially the trojans) are made for:huh:

Albertadiver
09-09-2009, 11:54 AM
If you're ever in Red Deer, I'll put you in touch with my father. He own's a Battery Shop and will take the time to explain options and quality of batteries with you. I know a little, but didn't go into the family business so I'm not an expert.

javlin101
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
:wave:Ya i tryed Canadian Tire ones and they never make it to the second year.:tongue2:The batteries are usually almost allways dead after pushing the big 2025 areound all day, shouldnt hurt them , thats what ( spacially the trojans) are made for:huh:

I agree the only positve thing about the CDT ones is the cashier screwed up so I got 2 for 1 deal.:) Next year I will go back to the Trojans. I can buy them pretty cheap as one of our branches buys a ton of them for a customer from a battery shop in Edmonton.

I only asked about how far you discharge, as below 50% is hard on any battery including Trojans. Discharging below 50% will shorten the life of your battery, more so if your are doing it a lot. Trojans are designed to accept more recharge cycles than common marine battery so they will last longer.

bsnyder
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree the only positve thing about the CDT ones is the cashier screwed up so I got 2 for 1 deal.:) Next year I will go back to the Trojans. I can buy them pretty cheap as one of our branches buys a ton of them for a customer from a battery shop in Edmonton.

I only asked about how far you discharge, as below 50% is hard on any battery including Trojans. Discharging below 50% will shorten the life of your battery, more so if your are doing it a lot. Trojans are designed to accept more recharge cycles than common marine battery so they will last longer.

:wave:maybe i should have 4 batteries?, trouble is the cost again:tongue2:and wieght can be an isue too.Was told the bouncing in big water can damage them too:huh:
Gel packs supposed to be better for that?Hate spending hard earned money needlessly:tongue2:We have a couple off sponsers but infortunatly none own a battery shop( hehe ):D

javlin101
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
you are correct again in that shaking up an acid battery is also not healthy for them. Gel batteries will resolve the issue but then you lose amp hours compared to acid batt's. I only run my fishfinder/GPS & once in awhile my 55lb thrust bow troller for mucking in the weeds & such. For long trolling periods I use my Honda 8hp 4 stroke which by the way has a built in 6amp charger. So I can actully put some charge back in the batt's. I am getting 2 years out of the CNDT batteries & about 3 years out of the original Trojans. I bought the boat used so do not know how well the originals were taken care of. You know how it works, you want the toys you pays the price. Just seems to be no way of avoiding it. If you go Gel please post on the results.

Oh & I have a 16ft crestliner so not as much weight to push around :)