PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used large rifle primers for pistol?

360hunt
03-31-2022, 05:21 PM
I'm running low on large pistol primers but have a surplus of large rifle.
Thinking of starting large pistol load development with the large rifle.
Any thoughts? Concerns?
Obviously start low powder charge and work up, but anything else?
Anyone try this ?
Cheers 360hunt

03-31-2022, 05:28 PM
I’ve never done it but used lots of small rifle primers in handgun loads. Never had any problems but you might find your hammer (firing pin) not hitting the primers hard enough to set them off. Maybe just try trading your rifle primers for large pistol primers.

360hunt
03-31-2022, 05:31 PM
I’ve never done it but used lots of small rifle primers in handgun loads. Never had any problems but you might find your hammer (firing pin) not hitting the primers hard enough to set them off.

Good advice, perhaps I try a handful during load development. See what happens

brewster29
03-31-2022, 07:50 PM
Not a good idea,

Large rifle primers and large pistol primers share diameters, but rifle primers are about.010” taller. They will sit proud and may jam a revolver or fire on closing a bolt. Lots of info on the web.

SRP and SPP are dimensionally identical.

Homesteader
04-01-2022, 06:11 AM
Where you at 360, I may have some we could do a straight trade. I can check tonight when o get home.

360hunt
04-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Where you at 360, I may have some we could do a straight trade. I can check tonight when o get home.

Appreciated but currently in bc

Homesteader
04-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Appreciated but currently in bc

Ok, that’s a bit far to drive. If you get close to Edmonton in the near future, keep me in mind.

Dean2
04-01-2022, 10:32 AM
I'm running low on large pistol primers but have a surplus of large rifle.
Thinking of starting large pistol load development with the large rifle.
Any thoughts? Concerns?
Obviously start low powder charge and work up, but anything else?
Anyone try this ?
Cheers 360hunt

Like others have said, not a great idea unless you have absolutely no other options. I would even suggest buying factory before doing that. Harder primer, taller, more brissiance. All round not what you want. If you were looking for SP I could help but no LP.

bat119
04-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Prophet river has Magnum LP in stock if you can figure a way to get them

https://store.prophetriver.com/federal-large-magnum-pistol-primers-no-155-100ct/