PDA

View Full Version : Touchwood Lake?

live2bout
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm looking to take my daughter camping at Touchwood this weekend. Does anyone know what it's like there in the fall? Any tips for the fishing, and ,lastly, are there any perch to be found there?

kreator
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
One of the most beautiful lakes in northern Alberta, and particularly nice during the fall. The walleye are likely still on the point directly across the campground at the narrows. Fish in 12-20 feet, and use jigs and/or leeches. I caught one two weeks ago that was just over 7 pounds, and several others around 5. If that doesn't work, try Bare A.s.s Point (get yourself an up-to-date Lakeland Back Country map).

As for perch, I've had success in front of the trapper's cabin on the north shore of the lake, and inside the bay to the right of the campsite along the reeds. They like maggots. I've caught some really, really nice ones in the winter.

AxeMan
09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
See this thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38238&highlight=touchwood
Lots of good info......

sco22
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree with Kreator - campground is beautiful and shouldn't be too packed this fall. If you have a biger boat, try going through the narrows all the way to the point on the South end of the narrows and then over to the West bank of the lake. I have had good success there for perch. Just be prepared to move a lot to find them. Maggots and meal worms have worked well for me. The place Kreator mentioned to the South of the campground is also good, particularly if you have a smaller boat and do not want to travel to the opposite end of the lake. Try throwing your biggest plug on and trolling through the narrows for some big pike too. Great action and hopefully you return the big ones to spawn.
Walleye are just where Kreator said and trust me you will nail them.

The water can be hit or miss there so don't be afraid to bring extra from home. Past that, enjoy one of the best campgrounds in Alberta and let us know your thoughts when you get back.

Cheers.

SCRUB
09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Great campground, I was there on the sept long with a bunch of friends, like kreator said from the boat launch look to the right point and let out the minnows, although they weren't hitting hard last weekend they can. We had some bad storms roll through that really slowed the fishing. Good luck.

Scrub

kreator
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
And to think...certain people (like the mayor of St. Paul, among other politicians in the area) want to put a highway right through Lakeland, right over top of the hill that separates Touchwood and Spencer. To me this is absolutely mindboggling, but what's even more mindboggling is how this got zero reaction from the outdoorsmen community. Can you imagine watching and listening to Fort Mac traffic while you camp and fish at this beautiful lake?

sco22
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I didn't know that Kreator. Is this still going on? Do you have a link or anything? 881 to 55 gets anyone from St. Paul to Lac La Biche fast enough. What the he!! would they need another highway for?

kreator
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I think (hope) it's sort of died down now, but it was big news up here (LLB area) last year. They guy who owns the 2 pieces of private land on Pinehurst Lake (owner of the Wilderness Cabins there) also pushed really hard for this road, writing several letters to the LLB Post, among other places. It went to the point where our MLA Ray Danyluk attended a meeting with the mayor of St. Paul and politicians from surrounding areas. Danyluk informed them that the money for the road simply wasn't there. The only person who attended this meeting who opposed the road was the then-mayor of LLB, Peter Kirylchuk. Danyluk didn't say, however, that the road wouldn't go through when the money was there.

The St. Paul area wanted to connect St. Paul to Fort Mac through an extention of 881. This would go between Pinehurst and Seibert, between Touchwood and Spencer, then along the Air Weapons Range boundary. I can't imagine that country spoiled like that, and I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Walleyes
09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Make no mistake about it there was plenty of opposition showed from the towns people on this subject.

To answer your question sco22 they wanted the road put through so they could get their junk of Fort Mac money.. They figure if they can divert some of the traffic they can cash in. And make no mistake that Lac La Biche apposed it because of money they could see being lossed. Many millions going down the drain if they were to loose that traffic and all that comes with it. Both sides used the wilderness to fight this St Paul saying they wanted access to the beautiful LakeLand Park and L.L.B saying they wanted to protect the wilderness but in reality it was all about that oil money.

Either way I think we can thank the economic times for a project such as this being thrown on the back burner for many years.. But one thing boys,, never say never,, especially when money is at stake and when one side holds more votes than the other.. I think we all know how that can go lololo..

sco22
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow! I simply cannot believe how ridiculously stupid that would be. I realize commerce is commerce and some of the smaller towns are trying to find ways so increase their ancillary cashflow, but it makes no sense. I suppose if St. Paul was some type of major supplier to Ft. Mac, but Lac La Biche is the first sizeable town coming South and then most of the traffic would continue to Edmonton. Add to that Lac La Biche just spent all that money on the 36 re-direction. Stupid.

Thanks for the info guys. I am in meetings with various MLA's from time to time. Next time I am chatting with Danyluk, I am going to bring this up.

Cheers.