PDA

View Full Version : Charging 12v and 24v options

cgrif
04-04-2022, 04:29 PM
Hello all. I'm finishing up my 20' crestliner fishing boat resto. I'm looking for advise on charging options. I have three batteries. One is a 12 volt for the engines and power for all accessories. On the passenger (port side I have two 12v deep cells wired 24 volt for the Minn Kota terrova troller. Both my 175hp and 9.9 HP kicker have alternators. Both engines will be charging the single (12v) battery. Is there an easy way to have it so the engines can charge the 24v system? Thanks in advance for any info. Cory.

Coiloil37
04-04-2022, 07:22 PM
My boats have used minn kota alternator chargers as well as multi bank shore power chargers. With my current boat I only have the alternator charger and solar but the alternator and dc-dc multi bank charger keeps everything charged until I’m fishing the reefs and then I use the solar when I’m sitting at anchor all day.
For using the outboards to charge the house bank, get a two bank alternator charger and hook each output to each individual battery in your house bank. The charger will see them as a 12v battery and charge them independent of each other. The trolling motor sees them as a 24v system but that’s because you’ve got the trolling motor hooked up to them in series.
Some outboards (depends on what 175 you’ve got) also have an aux alternator charge lug but it would only supply 12v to one extra battery and leave the third uncharged so even if you had that lug I don’t think it’ll help you.

Moral of this story. You charge the house bank as individual 12v batteries. You have a plethora of available options.