PDA

View Full Version : Bakers Narrows Lodge Manitoba

58thecat
04-08-2022, 08:47 AM
Just booked a week in July to chase trophy size fish. Anyone been there and would like to share their adventure, insights etc greatly appreciated.

https://www.bakersnarrowslodge.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIme6ksNmE9wIVYRB9Ch1vVwIuEAAYASA AEgJGGfD_BwE

1shotwade
04-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Been there lots. Get a guided day with mac mulligan. Find the sunken weedbeds for monster pike. Pm for any other questions.
Cheers wade

Teamprotz
04-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Fished June lots and august. Biggest trout were in June. The boat ride out is half the fun , it was a toss up this year to either do cold lake tournament again or take my son to Athapap for the first time. Doing tournament one more year. We had friends up there show us the ropes , it’s where my anchoring system came from.

58thecat
04-09-2022, 10:19 AM
Fished June lots and august. Biggest trout were in June. The boat ride out is half the fun , it was a toss up this year to either do cold lake tournament again or take my son to Athapap for the first time. Doing tournament one more year. We had friends up there show us the ropes , it’s where my anchoring system came from.

Where you jigging and or trolling?
Gonna bring all my go to cold lake trout stuff but like to narrow it down to a few go to lures.
Also gonna book a guide and sit on his lap!!!
[emoji23]

Well maybe not on his lap but I will pay attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teamprotz
04-09-2022, 02:56 PM
Always jigged. Lots of fish 43-45.5” , big pieces of sucker, always 85-105ft

58thecat
04-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Thanks folks for the intel/pm’s

Looking forward to the trip then back for ice fishing that area too!

58thecat
04-13-2022, 06:31 AM
Always jigged. Lots of fish 43-45.5” , big pieces of sucker, always 85-105ft

This got me thinking of a slow drift and mooching....just kicking back and watching the action....I have taken the west coast salmon tactics to cold lake with lots of success so will give it a whirl there and pull up a big mamma:sHa_shakeshout:

Talking moose
04-15-2022, 11:20 AM
Any time after ice out is a good time to catch suckers from the nsr if you want good bait. That white underbelly on a big jig has a nice rolling action when jigged.
Throw a Pickrel rig or sturgeon rig out with worms and you should get some suckers. Maybe even a sturgeon.

1973 Moose
04-15-2022, 06:17 PM
I was at Bakers Narrow a couple of years back, hired a guide. Very glad I did.
When we stopped to fish, the first thing the guide did was, scrape the scales off the suckers and throw them overboard.
The guide said it works like a feeding frenzy.
Big white jig heads and sucker slabs was the ticket! :)
We did not catch any over 25 lbs, but the guys in the cabin next to us caught 2 over 30 lbs. seen the pics from that day, wow!!

58thecat
04-17-2022, 11:04 AM
I was at Bakers Narrow a couple of years back, hired a guide. Very glad I did.
When we stopped to fish, the first thing the guide did was, scrape the scales off the suckers and throw them overboard.
The guide said it works like a feeding frenzy.
Big white jig heads and sucker slabs was the ticket! :)
We did not catch any over 25 lbs, but the guys in the cabin next to us caught 2 over 30 lbs. seen the pics from that day, wow!!

Thx for the information.

tangledangler
04-19-2022, 07:29 AM
I spent a week at Bakers Narrows last year, what a beautiful location and there are great people running the lodge. The lake is MASSIVE and can be intimidating, I made the mistake of not hiring a guide and we struggled to find the lake trout (actually were skunked on trout). I chatted with Mac on the dock and he was able to put us on the pike and we caught multiple 20+ lbers. HIRE MAC for a day!

EZM
04-28-2022, 10:28 AM
As with all Canadian Shield Lakes - get a proper map and know where the hazards are - this lake, in particular, has a few well travelled areas where "going down the middle" in open water will end in a short day for you. These are hard rock ledges (not soft sand or gravel) a few inches below the surface of the water. from 100ft of water to 6 inches deep in 2 boat lengths. Scary.

58thecat
04-28-2022, 10:31 AM
As with all Canadian Shield Lakes - get a proper map and know where the hazards are - this lake, in particular, has a few well travelled areas where "going down the middle" in open water will end in a short day for you. These are hard rock ledges (not soft sand or gravel) a few inches below the surface of the water. from 100ft of water to 6 inches deep in 2 boat lengths. Scary.

Will get the map and chat with the owners/guides etc
This lake sounds like Besnard which is not a nice lake but if you take your time and research you can enjoy it!

mlee
04-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Will get the map and chat with the owners/guides etc
This lake sounds like Besnard which is not a nice lake but if you take your time and research you can enjoy it!

If you're a garmin user there is some mapping available on the active captain app.

I've been saying I'm going to athapap for 5 years now lol....hopefully I get there sooner than later.