PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions...

Lawn Man
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I am fairly new to fishing. When you catch a keeper, should you kill it right away or keep it alive untill you go in to shore? Also, what is the best way to kill a fish before cleaning it. I feel so barbaric wacking it.

WayneChristie
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
whack away, we are all barbarians under the skin. Law says kill it right away if you intend on keeping it. may want to remove the gills to slow spoilage tho.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I don't like whackin' them either. Needs to be done, though. I dislike seeing fish flopping around and "gasping" even more than I dislike whackin' them.

I've got a little fish "bat" that I keep in my tackle box: very handy, and means I don't have to go hunting for a rock. The bat's a "panfish" size, so it might not be particularly effective on a bigger fish.

Fishfinder
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
True Wayne. Also, if u figure ur gonna catch bigger fish later on to fry, let ur catch go. Do not hang on to a fish unless u intend to eat it as I am sure u know. As far as eating goes, catch n bonk, jus be sure ur bonkers are ur keepers. I personally have always found, young - mid age fish are much better eats than old frys. IMO. Fish on :)

rustynailz
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Just tear through the little piece of cartilage on the bottom of the fish right under the gills. They bleed out really quickly.

The faster you get the entrails and blood out of the fish the better they taste IMO.

fishstix
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
dont even get me started on this one! I dont even swat mosquitoes!

Fishfinder
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
dont even get me started on this one! I dont even swat mosquitoes!I will get u started. Get the bug b4 thr bug gets u:lol:

Rick.
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I prefer a lethal injection but then I'm always scared to eat the fish after. LOL Truthfully, I only keep a few per year but if your going to keep it, kill it as quickly as you can. Rick.

Geezle
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Just thump 'em. I can't really think of a quicker and less painful way to do it.

slingshotz
09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
One of the best methods if you intend on eating your catch is the Iki Jime method that the Japanese use. Bleeding the fish is also good if you can.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/X2590E/x2590e10.htm#TopOfPage
http://www.nafc.ac.uk/Portals/0/fdn1ikijime.pdf

It does take a little practice but clubbing is a good second alternative. If you catch a fish at the start of the day and have no cooler, then keeping it alive on a stringer is probably the best way to keep the fish from spoiling.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:54 AM
One of the best methods if you intend on eating your catch is the Iki Jime method that the Japanese use. Bleeding the fish is also good if you can.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/X2590E/x2590e10.htm#TopOfPage
http://www.nafc.ac.uk/Portals/0/fdn1ikijime.pdf

It does take a little practise but clubbing is a good second alternative. If you catch a fish at the start of the day and have no cooler, then keeping it alive on a stringer is probably the best way to keep the fish from spoiling.

The first link didn't work for me. I'll play around with that one later. The second one worked.

That's interesting. Are they using a tool similar to hakapik, or do they just drive the spike in by hand? I like that the method allows one ample time to get the fish cleaned before rigour sets in.

Are we allowed to use stringers and/or live wells in Alberta? I was under the impression that we weren't. I'm hoping that we can, though.

jeprli
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Sharp object through the forehead and down between the gill plates, kvik and easy, and I see Japanese have a name for it too, from now on I'll call it Iki Jime.

Tredeb
09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
The first link didn't work for me. I'll play around with that one later. The second one worked.

That's interesting. Are they using a tool similar to hakapik, or do they just drive the spike in by hand? I like that the method allows one ample time to get the fish cleaned before rigour sets in.

Are we allowed to use stringers and/or live wells in Alberta? I was under the impression that we weren't. I'm hoping that we can, though.

You just can't posess live fish if you are more than 100m away from the body of water you caught them in.

slingshotz
09-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Yeah it's a tool like the hakapik but more pointy. But you can do it with other tools and methods. For those that love a good read and have a culinary/scientific type mind here's a really interesting write up on Ike Jime.

http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/japanese-fish-killing-ike-jime-smackdown-part-1/

Ray
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Additionally, I find that a good way to preserve the quality of any fish I intend for the table is to get them on ice immediately after cleaning them. I have a inexpensive ice chest with a carrying handle dedicated for this. Before going out I just throw 3 or 4 trays worth of ice in there. It's good for the whole day.

Okotokian
09-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Yet you yank hooks into the mouths of fish? ;):D

Albertadiver
09-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Yet you yank hooks into the mouths of fish? ;):D

You missed a good exchange last night which the mods deleted :evilgrin:... Some new guy came on the forum supporting the same ideologies as well....

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah it's a tool like the hakapik but more pointy. But you can do it with other tools and methods. For those that love a good read and have a culinary/scientific type mind here's a really interesting write up on Ike Jime.

http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/japanese-fish-killing-ike-jime-smackdown-part-1/

Thanks for sharing this. This was a great read (all three entries), and has given me lots to think about. Fish is such a huge part of the Japanese diet, it makes sense that they would have some interesting and effective ways of doing things. The results of stressed fish were also interesting, and I appreciated Chef Suzuki's Zen-like approach.

One thing that it didn't state (that I could find) was how long the fish were left in the ice water to bleed out. I have a cooler full of ice water that I take fishing with me (when not C&R). Could I quickly cut the spinal cord in the two places, and then drop the fish in the ice water for a few hours before I filleted it?

I wish I knew which of the 40 perch I brought back from Sundance last time had been cleaned after full rigor set in. I suspect at least 1/4 of them. I bet I'd notice a significant difference in the taste.

slingshotz
09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this. This was a great read (all three entries), and has given me lots to think about. Fish is such a huge part of the Japanese diet, it makes sense that they would have some interesting and effective ways of doing things. The results of stressed fish were also interesting, and I appreciated Chef Suzuki's Zen-like approach.

One thing that it didn't state (that I could find) was how long the fish were left in the ice water to bleed out. I have a cooler full of ice water that I take fishing with me (when not C&R). Could I quickly cut the spinal cord in the two places, and then drop the fish in the ice water for a few hours before I filleted it?

I wish I knew which of the 40 perch I brought back from Sundance last time had been cleaned after full rigor set in. I suspect at least 1/4 of them. I bet I'd notice a significant difference in the taste.

I'm quite a sushi fanatic (well any food as well :D) so I appreciate going to places that take good care of their fish. That being said, I think just doing the basics right will ensure good quality flesh by gutting it quickly, including the gills, making sure not to rupture any guts and getting the fish on ice as soon as possible (it also is the most hygienic).

It's hard to say how long you leave the fish in the ice slurpee as it really depends on things like size and type of fish. Some fish bleed out quicker than others and I'm not sure if smaller or bigger fish will bleed out faster, one has a bigger heart to pump the blood out and the other has less blood in the first place. From what I've noticed about bleeding out fish during hard water season is that it really doesn't take that long for most fish, maybe only 15 min or so, but you have to make sure the fish is bleeding out into water or the blood will clot in contact with air.

fishstix
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
i gently pull single barbless hooks out of fish mouths. Live release...you should try it!

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
i gently pull single barbless hooks out of fish mouths. Live release...you should try it!

While I too am a big fan of sushi like Slingshotz, I like my fish nice and dead when I eat them.

hockey1099
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM

I assume everyone here has released more fish alive than they have kept. I practice both C&R and Keep and Kill. When i practice C&R i am not under the impression that i am not harming the fish. Whether they feel pain or not is unimportant the mere fact im puncturing a hole in their mouth/throat means i am harming the fish. Second fighting the fish is bound to stress/fatigue/harm the fish as well. Dont delude yourself into thinking you are more ethical becuase you dont eat your catch. As long as you are within your limits and actually eat the fish there is nothing wrong with taking home dinner

Albertadiver
09-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I assume everyone here has released more fish alive than they have kept. I practice both C&R and Keep and Kill. When i practice C&R i am not under the impression that i am not harming the fish. Whether they feel pain or not is unimportant the mere fact im puncturing a hole in their mouth/throat means i am harming the fish. Second fighting the fish is bound to stress/fatigue/harm the fish as well. Dont delude yourself into thinking you are more ethical becuase you dont eat your catch. As long as you are within your limits and actually eat the fish there is nothing wrong with taking home dinner

X2 Well Said Hockey1099.

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 05:28 PM
You missed a good exchange last night which the mods deleted :evilgrin:... Some new guy came on the forum supporting the same ideologies as well....

I'll assume the "new guy" was me. Unfortunately I missed all of the exchange that followed. I must admit I really didn't intend to start anything but it's becoming pretty clear that the few of us on here that share my "ideologies" can't post anything without starting something.

fishstix
09-10-2009, 05:28 PM
fish caught on single barbless hooks are more likly to survive. Fish caught for dinner dont! End of story.

fishstix
09-10-2009, 05:39 PM
stress and fatigue dosent mean sure death. Stir the pot albertadiver, hockey1099 I enjoy the battle!!!

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll assume the "new guy" was me. Unfortunately I missed all of the exchange that followed. I must admit I really didn't intend to start anything but it's becoming pretty clear that the few of us on here that share my "ideologies" can't post anything without starting something.

I think it is all in how it reads. I didn't read any exchange yesterday, so I've no idea what was said.

There are many different ideologies. One is really no better than the next (except for extreme circumstances). The importance is in how they're presented most of the time.

There are some people who think they're more evolved (or something to that effect) as they don't ever take a fish to eat, or because they don't use treble hooks. The preaching gets to be a bit much at times, and as such I've personally given up trying to have a logical and intelligent discussion with those types (the preachy types, not the strictly c&r types).

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Releasing smaller fish in order to catch a bigger one to keep isn't really C&R , it's required by the government. And please don't delude yourself into thinking that a released fish is just going to die anyway from the stress of being caught. There have been many studies that put the mortality rate of fish caught on small barbless hooks at about 4% and that was for trout which are the most sensitive. Other studies have proved that mortality rates jump dramatically to 100% for those fish caught on bait and clubbed with a bat!

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Releasing smaller fish in order to catch a bigger one to keep isn't really C&R , it's required by the government. And please don't delude yourself into thinking that a released fish is just going to die anyway from the stress of being caught. There have been many studies that put the mortality rate of fish caught on small barbless hooks at about 4% and that was for trout which are the most sensitive. Other studies have proved that mortality rates jump dramatically to 100% for those fish caught on bait and clubbed with a bat!

Uh huh. I see what the problem is now.

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Uh huh. I see what the problem is now.

There is no problem , none once so ever. Yes I am strictly catch and release , if other people aren't , so be it , it's their choice and I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. Just PLEASE don't use the old "the fish is gonna die anyway" excuse to justify it , when it's been disproved time and time again in actual scientific studies. And the more this rumor gets around the more it's going to push young anglers and people new to the sport away from C&R instead of letting them make their own choice.

JBALL
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
There is no problem , none once so ever. Yes I am strictly catch and release , if other people aren't , so be it , it's their choice and I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. Just PLEASE don't use the old "the fish is gonna die anyway" excuse to justify it , when it's been disproved time and time again in actual scientific studies. And the more this rumor gets around the more it's going to push young anglers and people new to the sport away from C&R instead of letting them make their own choice.

Thanks for not going all high and mighty. respect your view. I just wish they didn't taste so good.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Your choice of wording and the way you have presented your ideas could be considered offensive by some, as they come across as a bit confrontational. It also seems a little presumptuous.

While you may not have intended it to come across that way, that's how I read it, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who could get her/his hackles up after reading it.

WayneChristie
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I think it is all in how it reads. I didn't read any exchange yesterday, so I've no idea what was said.

There are many different ideologies. One is really no better than the next (except for extreme circumstances). The importance is in how they're presented most of the time.

There are some people who think they're more evolved (or something to that effect) as they don't ever take a fish to eat, or because they don't use treble hooks. The preaching gets to be a bit much at times, and as such I've personally given up trying to have a logical and intelligent discussion with those types (the preachy types, not the strictly c&r types).

putting them on ignore works good too :D

hockey1099
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM

i have never said that fish caught and released are going to die. If handled correctly few do. Go to Pigeon i have seen 1000's of fish caught in the last two weeks and only two dead eye's. If C & R didnt work the beach would be littered with fish and the fishery would be gone.

My point had to do with the ethics of C&R vs. Keep and Kill. All of us go out and intentionally harm fish for our own enjoyment and recreation as such there is very little difference between the two camps. Further, a well managed fishery can support an apex predator, like us.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
putting them on ignore works good too :D

I do have one person on my ignore list. :evilgrin: That person just became way too hard to tolerate! It appears to work well.

WayneChristie
09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I do have one person on my ignore list. :evilgrin: That person just became way too hard to tolerate! It appears to work well.

LOL wanna bet its the same one on mine?????

fishstix
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
if you dont like what is being written or how its being worded, go do something else. Maybe write about something other than the politics of posts, try some fishing topics (if you even fish). Quit twisting other peoples words around.

Albertadiver
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry, Wayne. I'm sure you've left a very witty post. I can't see them any more, though. :p

Sorry about that. Having a silly moment. As an anal retentive A-type personality engineer those are few and far between.

Yup. Probably the same dude.

This thread has been quite thoroughly hijacked now. :o

EDIT: Unfortunately, the inane and petty ramblings of the person I've got blocked still show up when quoted by other people.

jinx
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
good way :evilgrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBAgo1johw

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 08:22 PM
i have never said that fish caught and released are going to die. If handled correctly few do. Go to Pigeon i have seen 1000's of fish caught in the last two weeks and only two dead eye's. If C & R didnt work the beach would be littered with fish and the fishery would be gone.

My point had to do with the ethics of C&R vs. Keep and Kill. All of us go out and intentionally harm fish for our own enjoyment and recreation as such there is very little difference between the two camps. Further, a well managed fishery can support an apex predator, like us.

I do see your point, and yes large lakes like pigeon can support catch and keep probably even more so than limits allow for , many small trout streams cannot and it is the people who don't see the difference that are the problem

However I can say that there IS a very big difference between the C&R camps and the catch and keepers , even though we both "harm" fish for sport , A released fished goes on to swim another day , be caught again and enjoyed by others , a kept fish is ..... well , dead.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:23 PM
good way :evilgrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBAgo1johw

:eek: That just about made me sick.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
A released fished goes on to swim another day , be caught again and enjoyed by others , a kept fish is ..... well , dead.

A kept fish is enjoyed by others too . . . just in a different way (on the dinner table).

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 08:29 PM
A kept fish is enjoyed by others too . . . just in a different way (on the dinner table).

A very valid point! However one that also proves there ARE 2 camps and probably always will be!

rustynailz
09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
There are two camps indeed: those that follow the regs, and those that don't. As long as the first camp is constantly infighting, the second will get away with way too much.

As far as I see it, your fishing license comes with a little book. Do what it says you're allowed to and you won't hear any complaints from me.

WayneChristie
09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
funny thing is, some knobs just wont see reason, actually I keep maybe one read (1) fish a year to eat, some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing. Sure you have your ideals and reasons, so do I, Im going to keep TWO fish this year just to make you crazy!!!!!!! and Aisling, what?????? I cant hear you !!!!! :evilgrin:

bruce44
09-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I dont carry a bat or anything to hit it over the head with. What i do if i cant find a rock i usually grab the fish by its tail and smash the head off the side of the boat. This usually works faster especially for bigger fish. it uses its own weight and instantly crushes the head. Its gruesome but it kills the fish quicker.

Beazer
09-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Iki Jime is the same method as you would kill a lobster.
Just a variance thereof, nice find slingshot.
I'm going on a sushi diet now.

deerassassin
09-11-2009, 01:19 PM

weiner!! :lol::lol::lol:

deerassassin
09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
stress and fatigue dosent mean sure death. Stir the pot albertadiver, hockey1099 I enjoy the battle!!!

first of all buddy most people on this forum are trying to help eachother on this forum. second of all the way I see it all you are trying to do is start a fight. now there are people on here trying to help eachother out so basically either put in some usefull information or **** off.:mad3:

tbosch
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I am fairly new to fishing. When you catch a keeper, should you kill it right away or keep it alive untill you go in to shore? Also, what is the best way to kill a fish before cleaning it. I feel so barbaric wacking it.

I stab the fish directly in the brain with my knife. Dead instantly. If you're going to be gutting and filleting whats the difference? Youre going to end up with blood on your hands either way...

PoorTurtle
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
wow this thread went to sh!t. I even forgot what it was about.
one good question about keeping fish and BANG the C&R guys are out for a fight. I love eating fish I catch but I live in AB so 95% are c&r and I am OK with that.

WayneChristie
09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
first of all buddy most people on this forum are trying to help eachother on this forum. second of all the way I see it all you are trying to do is start a fight. now there are people on here trying to help eachother out so basically either put in some usefull information or **** off.:mad3:

you cant win a battle of wits with an unarmed opponant!!!! put the goof on ignore like everyone else :lol: I think hes going for that record!

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
one good question about keeping fish and BANG the C&R guys are out for a fight.

I thought about posting a thread asking "How do I properly release a fish?" to see if any of the "keep and kill" crowd (which includes myself on occasion) would post a message telling me to kill it.

I decided that would be too obvious a social experiment right now.

sharrozap
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I was C&R trout 11-12" and nothing bigger, than I decide to keep them and I have 18" keeper, have my limit for the day, when I was home for supper they were dead and tasty. If you have to drive more than 1hr use ice in the hot days. Good lack.