PDA

View Full Version : new to fishing!

therookie
09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey All!

I pretty much just started fishing and am looking for some good places to fish anywhere around Calgary, the drive is not really a concern as long as it produces, cause lets face it who likes to drive three hours just to get skunked right. I like fishing for pike and walleye but will fish for anything. I dont have a boat so I'll have to be fishing from shore or a dock.

Look forward to hearing from everyone, and thanks for your help!

Battery
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
look up some threads on pine coulee reservoir. :wave:

Geezle
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
X2 on PCR.

From what I've read as long as you're into C&R you're guaranteed some solid walleye action out there :)

Watch out for a few monster pike as well!

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
X2 on PCR.

From what I've read as long as you're into C&R you're guaranteed some solid walleye action out there :)

Watch out for a few monster pike as well!

The bite wasn't great when we were out there for four hours on Monday. I caught a couple and my son caught a few. I'm not sure why it was off . . . the wind was pretty bad so that could have been it. It's a little over an hour from Calgary.

Gillfisher
09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I went to Pine Coulee alone last Fri started fishing at 11:00 and fished until 4:00 when I ran out of bait. 95 fish landed missed some & lost some.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I went to Pine Coulee alone last Fri started fishing at 11:00 and fished until 4:00 when I ran out of bait. 95 fish landed missed some & lost some.

How was the wind while you were there? The wind was the only thing we could think of for the bite being poor. There was one family of four on the dock who didn't catch a single walleye in the three hours they were there.

Baitfisher and her daughter did a little better than my son and I did . . . still didn't catch anywhere near what she normally does, though.

Gillfisher
09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
It was pretty windy until 2:00 or 2:30 but the bite was on continuosly all day

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
You can never go wrong with the good old Bow River , short drive , lots of fish. And don't let anyone convince you that you need waders and a Fly fishing rig to catch fish in the Bow. I've caught tons on the fly rod over the years , but there are lot of places where you can spin fish from shore and do equally as well especially this time of year. Explore a little and keep your line wet and you'll catch fish , without the long drive into the country.

WayneChristie
09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
You can never go wrong with the good old Bow River , short drive , lots of fish. And don't let anyone convince you that you need waders and a Fly fishing rig to catch fish in the Bow. I've caught tons on the fly rod over the years , but there are lot of places where you can spin fish from shore and do equally as well especially this time of year. Explore a little and keep your line wet and you'll catch fish , without the long drive into the country.

I second that. mepps, Panther Martins, small rapalas, minnowspins, and even jig with rubber grubs. they all work.

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
TH and WC are correct . . . but if you're not a really skilled angler you might want to use inexpensive lures on the Bow.

I'm not a great angler, and I lost around $60 in lures in two days on the bow :o Okay, it wasn't entirely me (my other-half and eldest son helped . . . a lot), but the huge expense I incurred has really put a damper on my willingness to fish rivers with spinning gear.

I have yet to loose any gear in a lake (though I came close once).

TroutHunter
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
TH and WC are correct . . . but if you're not a really skilled angler you might want to use inexpensive lures on the Bow.

I'm not a great angler, and I lost around $60 in lures in two days on the bow :o Okay, it wasn't entirely me (my other-half and eldest son helped . . . a lot), but the huge expense I incurred has really put a damper on my willingness to fish rivers with spinning gear.

I have yet to loose any gear in a lake (though I came close once).

Really , I can't say that I ever recall losing anymore than the odd dry fly to a bush on the Bow. Never a lure of any kind.

I have however lost many an $8 pike fly or $10 Rapala to Southern Alberta lakes.

Anyway ROOKIE don't let that scare you off the Bow , if your new to fishing keep yours casts towards the center of the river and retrieve quickly to start Gain a little confidence in your abilities and accuracy then you can start working the banks trying to throw spinners under downed trees and brushy undercuts.

Duramaximos
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
How was the wind while you were there? The wind was the only thing we could think of for the bite being poor. There was one family of four on the dock who didn't catch a single walleye in the three hours they were there....

:lol: That would be me...and my wife and twins!
I plan on fixing that goose egg this weekend....hope to see you there.

gprime27
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I already told you where to head :)

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
:lol: That would be me...and my wife and twins!
I plan on fixing that goose egg this weekend....hope to see you there.

:lol: Not pointing fingers :) For a "kindergarten lake" she didn't deliver like she normally does, which is a real bummer when you've got kids out there trying to catch some fish. I was hoping that your boys had caught some fish after we left and headed to Chain. Fortunately my boy caught a few, but I think he caught almost all of them before you got there.

I know that I won't be out there this weekend. I've got some new gear on the way, and if it shows up before the weekend I'll be trying it out somewhere else (and pond or river).

therookie
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
thats awesome thanks guys. I was out at buffalo lake this weekend. we were fishing the NARROWS. Caught two pike and the second was massivebut he fought so much on shore he got all tangled up so i let him go instead of taking a pic. Mt buddy caught two burbet(dont know if i spelled that right) pretty big 5 & 6lbs. I tried river fishing but i dont know if im not doing it right but i lost a lot of lures so. How r the ponds at Carburn park? would it be a good place to take my 3 year old and start him?

Thanks again everyone :wave: