PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen Ice Auger Blades

Mark
04-10-2022, 12:29 PM
This year it seemed like it was taking a real long time for my auger to cut through the ice. Then I realized these blades have not ever been sharpen and I've been fishing for about 6 years with this auger. So, I think its time for me to sharpen my ice auger blades. :sHa_shakeshout:

Can anybody recommend a good place to take the blades in for sharpening in the Calgary or Medicine Hat area?

Thanks in advance.

Dubious
04-10-2022, 12:36 PM
My dad uses a bench grinder with a fabric polishing wheel and some buffing paste it works really well on our ice augers even if the blades are toasted from sand rocks and grit. I wouldn’t pay to get them done vs just doing it that way if you have the tooling. https://youtu.be/ehItnNqI_7k

calgarygringo
04-10-2022, 12:37 PM
Northside Carbide Saw on Bowness Road and deep south go to Okotoks to Foothills Sharpening. Both do a bang up job on auger blades and wont take you to the cleaners.

calgarygringo
04-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Only do it this way if you know what you are doing. If you gwt the angle off they will not cut after unless you do Macgyver fixes like addig shims etc which tells you you did them wrong. If you are good at it knick your socks off. For the small cost most if the folks I know just drop them off and get them done knowing they are good to go.

My dad uses a bench grinder with a fabric polishing wheel and some buffing paste it works really well on our ice augers even if the blades are toasted from sand rocks and grit. There’s YouTube videos of the strategy, I wouldn’t pay to get them done vs just doing it that way if you have the tooling.

Dubious
04-10-2022, 12:56 PM
I remember those days when I too was afraid of sharpening them fearing that you needed some sort of correct angle precisely machined and CnC cut in order for the auger to ever work again. That fear was unfounded and even if it all went wrong cheap replacement blades are one Amazon click away.

Mark
04-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Northside Carbide Saw on Bowness Road and deep south go to Okotoks to Foothills Sharpening. Both do a bang up job on auger blades and wont take you to the cleaners.

Thanks Gringo

I'll give them a try.

calgarygringo
04-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Not rocket science but read how many times guys sharpen their blades, drive 2 hours, then the blades do nothing. Personally I like the idea of being done properly and the few dollars spent is money in the bank. Also remember if someone tells you to shim them it is because they are at the wrong angle.

I remember those days when I too was afraid of sharpening them fearing that you needed some sort of correct angle precisely machined and CnC cut in order for the auger to ever work again. That fear was unfounded and even if it all went wrong cheap replacement blades are one Amazon click away.

mlee
04-10-2022, 06:39 PM

"Cheap" blades for my auger are $120 if I can even get them. A professional sharpening that makes them sharper than new is $30. It's not even worth my time to open the tool box even though I'd consider myself more than capable of doing the job.

elkhunter11
04-10-2022, 06:41 PM
I don't hesitate to sharpen auger blades, any more than I would hesitate to sharpen drill bits.

pikergolf
04-10-2022, 06:45 PM
"Cheap" blades for my auger are $120 if I can even get them. A professional sharpening that makes them sharper than new is $30. It's not even worth my time to open the tool box even though I'd consider myself more than capable of doing the job.

Each to their own. I would never drive to drop off and then pickup and pay 30 bucks for something I can do in my garage in 15min. Makes no sense to me. :confused0024:

JohnB
04-10-2022, 08:21 PM
I did my Ion blades with my Work Sharp. Was easier than I thought and blades cut like new again.

Tigger72
04-12-2022, 07:34 PM
Brent at high tech services - has done two of mine and others on here as well- based in Airdie but will usually meet if he’s working in the area

OL_JR
04-12-2022, 10:15 PM
If your auger has a centering point like my strikemasters do that is the absolute first thing to look at. A bad point can make great blades perform like raging crap.

kevinhits
04-13-2022, 09:19 AM
If your auger has a centering point like my strikemasters do that is the absolute first thing to look at. A bad point can make great blades perform like raging crap.

Absolutely...I try to sharpen the centering point every 2 years or so.

slamilton
04-15-2022, 09:43 AM
I got mine done at All Blades near Blackfoot Tr (8" Stingray) and cost $15 I think. They were good at the start of the season but are already super dull. I dont think I hit anything like wood or sand so I would have thought they would last longer. Is it easy to replace the blades. I am just worried about when I screw them in the angle will be off or is it pretty foolproof?