PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning blood from outdoor carpet

Puddle
04-13-2022, 05:11 PM
Looking for suggestions for cleaning the blood from the outdoor carpet from my 1625 Lund. Anything from a 4" spot to 24" of dribbles. The action started in 2008.
Any home remedies or the latest and greatest of methods?
The boat is always "garaged" other than when its on the water and is mint other than the carpet.

:sign0176:

TROLLER
04-14-2022, 09:42 AM
A trick I learned from an old boy from Japan.

What the temp was that caused the stain is the temp you use to remove it. It works. I have removed blood stains from my boat with warm water and soap.

HL_transplant
04-14-2022, 09:54 AM
Always just pressure washed all my carpet, just have to monitor the distance to make sure not to trash the carpet

fish99
04-14-2022, 11:10 AM
after 2 weeks salmon fishing we would take the boat to the car wash , after soaping and pressure washing and rinsing , the carpet dried like new and no blood spots.

Coiloil37
04-14-2022, 03:20 PM
Is this because of the type of carpet your boat has or a lack of cleaning? You didn’t perhaps install a light colour shag carpet did you?
I pressure wash mine as well and it hasn’t stained. I don’t think I’ve ever put soap on it either although I do throw bleach water on it to kill bacteria. That said, bleach doesn’t clean much. I use a deck wash to clean up a bit at sea but I’ve had tons of blood smeared into the carpet and cooked in throughout the day.
My gut would say some combination of soap, oxy clean, baking soda, pressure washer. Probably not all of them but pick your poison and include the pressure washer.

Unless you want to end up on a gov watch list be careful how you google “getting blood stains out of carpet”.

57charlie
04-14-2022, 07:12 PM
Pre-soak with Spray Nine, then soap & water...followed by elbow grease & a good rinse. Repeat as required.

Puddle
04-14-2022, 08:55 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions. I was shying away from a full out pressure wash of the interior because of all the electronics. Looking for more of a spot clean, but might have to give her a good interior scrubbing before the ice drops.
Cheers

-JR-
04-15-2022, 09:21 AM
Vinegar and a brush.

DiabeticKripple
04-15-2022, 09:29 AM
supposedly cold water works better than warm or hot water for pulling blood out of carpet and fabrics

SamSteele
04-15-2022, 09:58 AM
I would shy away from using a full pressure washer on the carpet as it can cause the glue between the carpet and floor to come loose, potentially making your carpet loose or bunch in spots. If you do pressure wash, keep the pressure low.

My wife had a carpet cleaning machine called a “spot bot” that I used to use. You would just sit it on top of the area and it would wash and scrub the carpet for you. Worked well.

I now have vinyl flooring in my all my boats though.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scesfiremedic
04-15-2022, 10:33 AM
Hydrogen peroxide

barbless
04-15-2022, 11:30 AM
I agree with stay away from pressure wash if you have carpet. No carpet just hose and wipe out with good cleaner (spray Nine) I use my rug shampooer with a little more spray for lifting stains. After that I use my shop vac and get out excess water and then air dry. Some elbow grinding for scrubbing on certain spots. Never could figure out why someone would put carpet in a fishing boat anyways. :thinking-006: :snapoutofit:

Outbound
04-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Carpet doesn't belong on a boat imho. I'd strip it out myself.

57charlie
04-15-2022, 12:24 PM
I agree with stay away from pressure wash if you have carpet. No carpet just hose and wipe out with good cleaner (spray Nine) I use my rug shampooer with a little more spray for lifting stains. After that I use my shop vac and get out excess water and then air dry. Some elbow grinding for scrubbing on certain spots. Never could figure out why someone would put carpet in a fishing boat anyways. :thinking-006: :snapoutofit:

Carpet is put in some boats because fishermen & boaters are known to slip & fall on wet surfaces. It prevents injuries & keeps some of them from falling overboard.

SamSteele
04-15-2022, 01:28 PM
Carpet is put in some boats because fishermen & boaters are known to slip & fall on wet surfaces. It prevents injuries & keeps some of them from falling overboard.

Right. No one has ever slipped on wet carpet. [emoji849]

Carpet is put in boats because it hides a multitude of sins in floor piece fitment. It fills the big gaps between pieces and it feels nice on bare feet.

SS

ChillyPete
04-15-2022, 02:30 PM
Hydrogen peroxide^This! Works every time.
Maybe test a small portion of the carpet first to see if there's any discoloration.

-ChillyPete

barbless
04-16-2022, 08:15 AM

Carpet is put in boats because it hides a multitude of sins in floor piece fitment. It fills the big gaps between pieces and it feels nice on bare feet.

SS

Yup does feel good on the feet. I also use my boat at certain times for pulling a tube and to water ski. Feels good on the feet. Just use some lake water soak it down set towel or rag on top, press down, do not rub and repeat to soak up. Cold water is better. Baking soda and water? I've had my boat 15+ yrs with carpet and no issues with blood stains. With all the walking around and being wet it's definitely getting packed down.

elkhunter11
04-16-2022, 09:42 AM

SS

An all vinyl floor was an option that I chose when I ordered my boat. It's easier to clean, and it doesn't hold water like carpet.

stubblejumper01
04-16-2022, 02:55 PM
I used to use one of those little green machines. Sometimes a little carpet and upholstery cleaner and a brush to preclean stubborn spots. They have one that steam cleans too but we just had the old one.

Frank_NK28
04-16-2022, 04:44 PM
I'll be tearing the carpets out of mine this year and putting in vinyl. They make some real nice vinyl for boats these days in custom colours with underlay on them for a padded feel..I'm also tearing out the rear livewell to extend the floor area for more fishing room. Imo a rear deck on a deep v boat is as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

Coiloil37
04-16-2022, 05:15 PM
I agree that carpets awful and shouldn’t be in a boat. I’ve had vinyl and it’s easier to clean but not very classy. In spite of it's shortcomings I would put seadek in if I ever pull up my carpet.
Theres a difference in the amount of blood and slime I get in my carpet compared to a boat in Alberta. I get more mess here every trip then I used to in Alberta in a year. Wahoo are especially bad and their grey slime is gross but I see a lot of blood and slime every day on the water. If I couldn’t pressure wash I would have a biohazard and a stinky boat.
I’ve never seen a boat that the carpet started to lift. Could be a princecraft problem or possibly an internet tale passed around forums but I wouldn’t hesitate to pressure wash the boat. If it started to lift I would acknowledge I had poorly adhered carpet and either stop washing it or rip it out and install something properly.

One of my deckies boats has seadek and it’s nice underfoot. Soft, good traction and easy to clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220416/8c535d1b9166f8279b7bd2fc4f7a74be.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220416/24ae98977a7b15a79c2ee86f1b12fa99.png

SamSteele
04-16-2022, 05:29 PM
I’ve never seen a boat that the carpet started to lift. Could be a princecraft problem or possibly an internet tale passed around forums but I wouldn’t hesitate to pressure wash the boat. If it started to lift I would acknowledge I had poorly adhered carpet and either stop washing it or rip it out and install something properly.

It was actually an issue I experienced with my first boat, a Sylvan. I replaced that boat with a Lund that had vinyl in the main area and carpet in the bow. I replaced that rig with a Princecraft that only had vinyl. All of the Princecraft fishing models only have vinyl floors.

I have no issues with a snap in carpet that has vinyl underneath, which is an option on some makes and models. The snap in Sea Deck flooring is really nice as well.

Coiloil37
04-16-2022, 06:23 PM
It was actually an issue I experienced with my first boat, a Sylvan. I replaced that boat with a Lund that had vinyl in the main area and carpet in the bow. I replaced that rig with a Princecraft that only had vinyl. All of the Princecraft fishing models only have vinyl floors.

I have no issues with a snap in carpet that has vinyl underneath, which is an option on some makes and models. The snap in Sea Deck flooring is really nice as well.

I had a Lund like that as well. Carpet in the bow and over the rod lockers and vinyl on the main deck. I didn’t mind the vinyl but hated the carpet. It doesn’t help that it’s rarely hot enough in Alberta to dry wet carpet quickly.

Seadek is glued down, it’s not a snap in proposition. It is however prone to damage from things like excessive UV, oil, fuel, WD-40 etc. My buddy Rosie’s boat has a bit next to the side combing that’s curling where some WD-40 got on it. It’s probably the only thing keeping me from installing it in my boat cause I hate cleaning carpet. I also tend to wear socks because my carpet is hard on the feet after a full day.

SamSteele
04-16-2022, 08:52 PM
Seadek is glued down, it’s not a snap in proposition.

There are snap in versions. Perhaps they aren’t “SeaDek” but they are the same material. MarineMat is an example. Deckadence is another.

58thecat
04-19-2022, 06:41 AM
A little preventative maintenance goes a long way, don’t let it sit for too long as the cleaning Is harder to do, you would be surprised how a quick rinse with a hose when back at the dock or home and let it properly dry prevents staining etc.

We are always wiping up after a catch and then when home we rinse it down too.

Coiloil37
04-20-2022, 04:55 AM
There’s blood all over my carpet and boat right now. I gave it plenty of water through the day and a once over with the hose tonight but it’ll need a pressure washer in the morning. Looks like a crime scene in there.

58thecat
04-20-2022, 08:50 AM
There’s blood all over my carpet and boat right now. I gave it plenty of water through the day and a once over with the hose tonight but it’ll need a pressure washer in the morning. Looks like a crime scene in there.

Lucky bugger....my boat still has the cover on it:(

EZM
04-21-2022, 05:27 PM
I have carpet on the back deck and bow area on my Lund. Vinyl main floor. I have zero issues taking it to a car wash and washing the blood, dirt, etc... right out of the carpet areas. Takes a few minutes and I have not had any issues whatsoever with the carpet delaminating or getting damaged. Been doing this for 20 years. Fast, easy, effective.

HL_transplant
04-22-2022, 04:34 PM
I have carpet on the back deck and bow area on my Lund. Vinyl main floor. I have zero issues taking it to a car wash and washing the blood, dirt, etc... right out of the carpet areas. Takes a few minutes and I have not had any issues whatsoever with the carpet delaminating or getting damaged. Been doing this for 20 years. Fast, easy, effective.

Same, carpet comes out looking new and clean, 10 years doing it never had an issue.

ramonmark
04-22-2022, 06:31 PM
Save your money and use dollar store hydrogen
peroxide and a shop vac. Dump it on and suck it up. It cleans literally everything. And does NOT bleach the material. I've used it on expensive artisan carpets supposedly ruiend from red wine to mule deer blood in the carpet of the back of a new gmc yukon. Try it, you'll be happy you did.

barbless
04-24-2022, 09:57 AM
Awesome info here. The blood stains are easy to see. I try to keep em watered down with my carpet and sop up with rags. Works ok then end of trip, proper cleaning. The pike slime is not so noticeable. Boat gets wiped down and washed out but no pressure wash, just hose and good bristled brush scrub. Fish scales are rampant at times. My boat don't smell like fish. Maybe I don't catch many fish :thinking-006::sHa_sarcasticlol: