PDA

View Full Version : Docks installed in southern Alberta?

Jims83cj5
04-26-2022, 03:49 PM
Anyone know if there are any docks installed yet anywhere in southern Alberta, or if Newell will let you in to launch without a dock, gotta get the new boat out to break in the motor

ragweed
04-26-2022, 04:03 PM
I've launched at Newell without a dock many times. That doesn't necessarily mean it's encouraged though. I thought I read on another thread that they are expecting to put the dock out on May 5th.

npauls
04-26-2022, 05:26 PM
If there is open water you can launch at most lakes in the south. Very few are locked up.

pikergolf
04-26-2022, 07:07 PM
If there is open water you can launch at most lakes in the south. Very few are locked up.

The irrigation districts require a boat inspection prior to launching.

npauls
04-26-2022, 09:25 PM

So go to the irrigation district office and get the inspection and sticker. Or find out wherever else is doing the inspections and see if they have it set up. There is a few places that you could have an inspection done last year.
I was part of the group that organized the original inspection process to access sherburn. Its quick and easy to do and once you have your sticker for each irrigation district you are good to go unless you leave the province with your boat.

pikergolf
04-27-2022, 06:13 AM
So go to the irrigation district office and get the inspection and sticker. Or find out wherever else is doing the inspections and see if they have it set up. There is a few places that you could have an inspection done last year.
I was part of the group that organized the original inspection process to access sherburn. Its quick and easy to do and once you have your sticker for each irrigation district you are good to go unless you leave the province with your boat.

Yes I realize that, your post made it sound like people were just free to go and launch a boat, i pointed out it was not that simple. :)

kouleerunner
04-27-2022, 08:33 AM

So, technically, only SMRID and EID require a boat to be in thier respective boat programs to enter thier reservoirs.

BRID, LNID, and WID, and other smaller irrigation districts do not require a boat sticker program, thus, several reservoirs, such as Travers, McGregor, pine Coulee, keho, and St.Mary, as well as others do not require a sticker. There are more reservoirs that do not require a sticker than do.

You are correct, there may be a boat program form and sticker required, but it is not in every reservoir and every irrigation district. Be aware of where you are going, possible requirements, and you should be good to go.

barbless
04-27-2022, 04:56 PM
Crawling Valley part of the EID is easy enough. Takes just a couple minutes. Stop in at the office. If they fill it out you just give the info for your vehicle lic plate, trailer plate. number on boat and make also name if one on boat. Your info for residence. They ask if your watercraft has been in another lake or out of province in the last 2 months (may be more). Give you your sticker affix it where visible and then on your way. Not much inspection by them. I might have for got a thing or two. Not like going through one on the highway turn outs.

CardiacCowboy
04-27-2022, 07:22 PM
Crawling Valley part of the EID is easy enough. Takes just a couple minutes. Stop in at the office. If they fill it out you just give the info for your vehicle lic plate, trailer plate. number on boat and make also name if one on boat. Your info for residence. They ask if your watercraft has been in another lake or out of province in the last 2 months (may be more). Give you your sticker affix it where visible and then on your way. Not much inspection by them. I might have for got a thing or two. Not like going through one on the highway turn outs.

Never heard of this before. Does this apply to kayaks as well?

Couleestalker
04-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Never heard of this before. Does this apply to kayaks as well?

Yes

Sundancefisher
04-28-2022, 08:47 AM
Make sure all boats are properly maintained to prevent movement of invasive plants and animals. Just because we are in Alberta… doesn’t mean we are immune.

Lots of close calls on zebra mussels. They would be a disaster in Alberta lakes. They could effectively wipe out perch populations by consuming the plankton baby perch eat. In turn would impact pike and walleye populations, whitefish populations. They will clog spawning beds and rearing habitat.

Good time for all to think about what we can do to prevent spread given thr start of beating season.

npauls
04-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Make sure all boats are properly maintained to prevent movement of invasive plants and animals. Just because we are in Alberta… doesn’t mean we are immune.

Lots of close calls on zebra mussels. They would be a disaster in Alberta lakes. They could effectively wipe out perch populations by consuming the plankton baby perch eat. In turn would impact pike and walleye populations, whitefish populations. They will clog spawning beds and rearing habitat.

Good time for all to think about what we can do to prevent spread given thr start of beating season.

A delcine in fish populations is the least of our worries if zebra mussels get into Alberta waters. The main concern will be anything to do with the irrigation systems. It will cost millions or billions of dollars every year to clean or replace anything having to do with irrigation. They can clog a 6"-8" water line within a year.

The irrigation districts would basically put a ban on all of their waters for recreational use.

Jims83cj5
04-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Not sure what the relevance is to docks being installed lol

deschambault
04-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Docks are in Crawling Valley but not in Travers.

roper1
04-28-2022, 09:27 PM
Docks are in Crawling Valley but not in Travers.

Crawling Valley gates open May 1 ? Thanks!