PDA

View Full Version : kayak fishing around Calgary

CardiacCowboy
04-29-2022, 09:09 PM
Finally got out on my Kayak for the first time on Monday on Chain Lakes Res for a bit. Lots of fun. There are several bodies of water I want to try out this year but unsure best places to park and launch from. Not looking for you secret fishing spots just good places to park and put boat in. I live in deep south Calgary and work weekends so have days off during the week.

Here is my list of lakes I want to try out:
Glenmore Res.- Not familiar with it at all.
Dalmead- Is best spot just off 22 where it meets the lake?
Travers-?
Twin-Boat launch?
Clear Lake-Elks Park?
Pine Coulee-South ends looks like a nice protected spot to start
Eagle Lake-?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Seli
04-30-2022, 07:32 AM
I have a canoe

Glenmore res - Park by Heritage park, there is a launch there or worse case is a short walk down to the water. The Sailing club has a launch but not sure if it is public or not. The canoe club but it is a bit away from the parking lots so load all you r load and use your trolley to get to the water.

PCR - South end boat launch, if you do not want to tie up the launch and pull off to the side be careful how close you get as the earth can be quite soft and I have seen some deep tire tracks.

I have not been to any of the other lakes. I live in Airdrie so usually head to Central Alberta as those lake are closer.

I know there are a lot of apps out there but I like "Windy". Nothing worse than a day off and seeing whitecaps of the lake you want to canoe/kayak on after driving 90 mins to get to.

CardiacCowboy
05-02-2022, 07:09 AM
Thank you

Lastcast
05-02-2022, 01:06 PM
Glenmore - I have always launched at main South launch beside the speed boat launch. I have big heavy kayak and it is pain to be honest. It also get stupid busy there so backing my truck right down to water isnt always possible. The ramp is super steep as well so if you do walk to kayak down the ramp it can be tough. Parking is back in the main lot so I tie my kayak to the dock and hope no one steals anything.

PCR - I agree the south end boat launch is an easy launch with parking right there.

Eagle Lake - the main boat launch beside Eagle lake nurseries is the best spot. Parking is right here on the grass.

I use Windfinder app. Windy days can be literal killers this early in the season with ice cold water.

aulrich
05-02-2022, 03:18 PM
I have not kayak fished Travers or Clear Lake (basically across the road) but I have ice fished them and both have decent boat launches so it should be easy enough launch, both are pike only, Though I did read somewhere that fisheries stocked Twin last fall with whatever got caught in the canal by Travers or something like that so over time the pike only should change.

Bigheaddoug
05-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Good Kayak lakes are:

Winchell lake out near Water Valley
Ghost Lake go up the north arm towards the Ghost river
Slightly further out is Birch Lake near Caroline, my personal favorite, bit of a steep road to access the lake, you'll need some kind of cart for your kayak

Lastcast
05-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Good Kayak lakes are:

Winchell lake out near Water Valley
Ghost Lake go up the north arm towards the Ghost river
Slightly further out is Birch Lake near Caroline, my personal favorite, bit of a steep road to access the lake, you'll need some kind of cart for your kayak

I'm sure I can google this but does Ghost River technically start once you cross under the highway? Very different fishing rules for Ghost lake and Ghost River.

Do we have many no motorized boats allowed lakes? Only one i really know is Glenmore Reservoir - its nice to be away from the large wakes.

gasman
05-04-2022, 09:09 PM
Would a place like Spray or Upper/Lower K be good to Kayak fish? I believe they are no motors?

FortMac
05-04-2022, 10:14 PM
There used to be a Kayak group in Calgary, Western Canadian Kayak Anglers. Don't know if they are still around but they use to have tournaments in central Alberta. Can maybe look them up on Facebook.

thumper
05-04-2022, 10:35 PM
Would a place like Spray or Upper/Lower K be good to Kayak fish? I believe they are no motors?

Both Kananaskis Lakes are good with kayaks. Upper K is more sheltered from the wind and an easy launch and not as busy as the Lower K. More cuties in Upper, more Bullies in Lower.

Spray is tough in a yak - usually quite windy.

CardiacCowboy
05-06-2022, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Now all I need is spot for Dalmead. That lake is only 30min from my house might have to go explore for my self.

roper1
05-06-2022, 10:22 PM
Eagle Lake go east of Strathmore to the first southbound paved road. West side of lake. Drive south until the road hangs a hard right. There is a grassy parking area & you can launch there. It is shallow for a long ways, but early season pike & walleye are right there from the start. Can be really good fishing early in the season.

JUST A NOTE OF CAUTION.....Eagle can get really rough with quick spring storms, a life jacket & an eye on the clouds a very good idea. Have fun!

rena0040
05-07-2022, 08:44 AM
On the right day, spray can be perfect.

Simba001
05-07-2022, 11:01 PM
following

aulrich
05-09-2022, 11:31 AM
There is a pretty easy spot to launch at Dalmead on the southwest corner by 22x as long as you can get over the parking barriers I went there with my son last year I can't remember if we had to lift both boats over or just the bigger one. I have short fished from the dam face, at this time of year I would go to the canal inlet.

Dubious
05-09-2022, 05:09 PM
3 access points to Dalemead, south side via the parking lot next to 22x it’s a short drag in and shallow for the first bit. East side via the irrigation canal road, you can’t drive down the road but you can walk in it’s a bit of a slog and the worst option for access. finally the north end via hopewell pheasant release site it’s the shortest drag just up and over the berm to the water. All spots fish well most pike are fairly uniform perch ARE in the lake but the bios have not performed a study to confirm it. I’m not sure there is a spot on that lake that is any worse than any other spots it’s pretty shallow and I would be surprised if there was 20 feet of water anywhere on the lak but I haven’t explored it enough to say for certain. Expect a lot of tall weeds in all parts of the lake once summer kicks off. Most of the time you just have to cast in the breaks of weeds and hope for the best.