PDA

View Full Version : PCR and Bait Fish

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Since no one else has posted this yet, I'll do it.

Had a bit of a banter in another thread about whether minnows can be used at PCR or not. According to the regulation book, and the website, they can't be.

As so many people (myself included) have used minnows at PCR, AlbertaAngler took it upon himself to phone F&W and get the scoop from the horse's mouth.

As it turns out, bait fish (including minnows) CAN be used at PCR. Unfortunately, this was missed in the 2009 regulation book. It should appear in the 2010 regulations.

In the mean time, if you're going to be using bait fish at PCR, it might be wise to print a copy of the portion of the variance that was sent to AlbertaAngler from F&W. The officer AlbertaAngler spoke to has apparently alerted the officers in the district to the problem with the regulation book. The variance is law, but who is to say whether or not an officer you encounter will understand this.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=14740&d=1252607836

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=14740&d=1252607836

BobLoblaw
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Just for the record, you can use "bait fish", which includes minnows.
They do have to be dead, though; wouldn't want anyone to be confused by your reference to "live bait"...;)

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Just for the record, you can use "bait fish", which includes minnows.
They do have to be dead, though; wouldn't want anyone to be confused by your reference to "live bait"...;)

Thanks. I think I fixed it :) Had my head in three places at once there (which is never good).

Duramaximos
09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for posting this Shelley.
I'm a little unclear. The Schedule you posted is regarding waters where Bait Fish are Prohibited. Where does it indicate that the waters listed are exempt from the rule?

I'd like to photo copy this for my tackle box.

Thanks

PS. are you the same Shelley that I met on the dock on Monday? I was the dad with the two twins sitting to your left. We were skunked on Gulp Alive but I plan on going back armed with MINNOWS! ...not catching fish for hyperactive twin boys is not an option :lol:

Thanks.

Battery
09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
there is a sign after you cross the bridge at the entrance of the parking lot that says as of 2009 you are allowed to use bait fish

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting this Shelley.
I'm a little unclear. The Schedule you posted is regarding waters where Bait Fish are Prohibited. Where does it indicate that the waters listed are exempt from the rule?

I'd like to photo copy this for my tackle box.

Thanks

PS. are you the same Shelley that I met on the dock on Monday? I was the dad with the two twins sitting to your left. We were skunked on Gulp Alive but I plan on going back armed with MINNOWS! ...not catching fish for hyperactive not an option for hyperactive twin boys :lol:

Thanks.

Yup. I'm the same Shelley :) The bite was poor when we were there. Baitfisher83 and her daughter (who were sitting to the right of my son and I) did a little better, but not as well as they usually do. I think the chair her daughter pulled in was the catch of the day :lol:

And, RedHairedFisherman was sitting to the right of Baitfisher.

I think the problem is that AlbertaAngler was only sent a portion of the document. It does indicate at the top that it is a variation order. It may not be as useful as at originally appeared.

I've never noticed the sign that Battery has mentioned, but if they've got the sign posted a copy of the variation order wouldn't be needed.

Duramaximos
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Cool. Nice to put a face to the name!

...ps don't you hate it when people quote your horrific grammatical errors right before you have a chance to re-read and edit.:lol: Some times I wonder what the hell my fingers were thinking...

RedHeadedFisherman
09-11-2009, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=DarkAisling;386602]Yup. I'm the same Shelley :)

And, RedHairedFisherman was sitting to the right of Baitfisher.

hahahaah yes i have red hair,. ( somewhat dulled with old age :)) .. buy my handle is RedHeadedFisherman lol :D:D:D

but its ok, Shelly i'll answer to anything.. if there is a good Hot dog atached lol!!

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Cool. Nice to put a face to the name!

...ps don't you hate it when people quote your horrific grammatical errors right before you have a chance to re-read and edit.:lol: Some times I wonder what the hell my fingers were thinking...

I can't remember your name for the life of me. I'm really bad with names. I'm much better with faces. I never forget a face, though I may forget the circumstances under which I met the person.

I don't mind that my error was quoted. I had proofed it already :o It was a pretty significant error, and it was important that the info was correct. It's no good going to all the effort (the reading and re-reading of the regs, the debating, and AlbertaAngler's efforts in talking to F&W directly) if the information relayed isn't correct.

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
hahahaah yes i have red hair,. ( somewhat dulled with old age :)) .. buy my handle is RedHeadedFisherman lol :D:D:D

Sorry sweetie! I was working from memory. Memory not to good. :lol:

Big fish
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
so there actualy places where you
guys used to get live minows in calgary?
or you guys always used frozen ones?

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
so there actualy places where you
guys used to get live minows in calgary?
or you guys always used frozen ones?

Frozen ones.

nicemustang
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
They've stopped selling live minnows in Alberta because it's illegal to use them...been that way for a while.

Duramaximos
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't mind that my error was quoted. I had proofed it already :o It was a pretty significant error, and it was important that the info was correct. It's no good going to all the effort (the reading and re-reading of the regs, the debating, and AlbertaAngler's efforts in talking to F&W directly) if the information relayed isn't correct.

:lol: I wasn't talking about your mistake, I was talking about mine!
Take a look at my text that you quoted ...
" ...not catching fish for hyperactive not an option for hyperactive twin boys " :lol:

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
:lol: I wasn't talking about your mistake, I was talking about mine!
Take a look at my text that you quoted ...
" ...not catching fish for hyperactive not an option for hyperactive twin boys " :lol:

Oops! Sorry about that. I can't go back and fix it as I no longer have the "edit" option on that post.