PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Craft Operator Card

dan54
05-02-2022, 10:48 AM
For anyone looking to take the get their Pleasure Craft Operator Card here is a link with a 40% off coupon (Reg price $39)

www.myboatcard.com (https://myboatcard.com)

Coupon code I used: 40OFFC37F

EZM
05-02-2022, 11:34 AM
Got my card when the new requirement came out, been stopped a dozen times for fishing licenses and stuff like that but NEVER been asked for an operators card.

Same goes for boat registration - never been asked.

Positrac
05-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Got my card when the new requirement came out, been stopped a dozen times for fishing licenses and stuff like that but NEVER been asked for an operators card.

You could do the test and get the card for free at the 1999 Vancouver International Boat Show when they first came out. I still have my original card and have never been asked to show it.

Not saying that a bit of training and having the qualification is a bad thing but I’ve spent a lot of time on the water and never been checked. Maybe I’ve just been lucky…?

Even did the self-guided thing last summer in Port Hardy and wasn’t asked if I had the card. But they didn’t have any safety gear in their boats either so that’s a whole other thing…

New2Elk
05-02-2022, 04:38 PM
I don’t know if the test has become any harder but I did mine years ago at the boatsman show in Edmonton and it was all basic common sense. There you could challenge for free and if you passed, you paid the $10 or whatever it was and they mailed you the card. My brother and I had read the info before hand and went to challenge the test. My wife (GF at the time) was there and we figured since she’s there anyway and it’s free she may as well challenge the test too. She had never even been in a boat at that time and passed the test without ever having read anything. My card has been with me since and I’ve never been asked for it either.

dfarms11
05-02-2022, 05:04 PM
I don’t know if the test has become any harder but I did mine years ago at the boatsman show in Edmonton and it was all basic common sense. There you could challenge for free and if you passed, you paid the $10 or whatever it was and they mailed you the card. My brother and I had read the info before hand and went to challenge the test. My wife (GF at the time) was there and we figured since she’s there anyway and it’s free she may as well challenge the test too. She had never even been in a boat at that time and passed the test without ever having read anything. My card has been with me since and I’ve never been asked for it either.

X2

the local angler
05-02-2022, 05:07 PM
i was wondering, not to hijack your thread but does the boat operators card expire or need renewal every so many years like the gun PAL ?

Positrac
05-02-2022, 06:11 PM
i was wondering, not to hijack your thread but does the boat operators card expire or need renewal every so many years like the gun PAL ?

Nope.

dan54
05-03-2022, 12:55 AM

The Pleasure Craft Operator Card never expires.

elkhunter11
05-03-2022, 06:17 AM

I got mine at a gun show, it wasn't at all challenging.

barbless
05-03-2022, 06:42 AM

Same here. Never once asked for my card. I even asked if they wanted to see it. Nope I believe you they said. Fishing license please (it is in the same pouch as my card). They did ask if I had personal floatation devices and they were under my front tonneau cover (presto right here). I wear my inflatable ones now. EZM do you carry your registration for your boat in the boat? Never been asked for that either.

Lornce
05-03-2022, 07:38 AM
I've been asked for my card twice, both times in BC. First time on Okanagan Lake, second on the Shuswap off of Scott creek. both times in a general check for lifejackets, etc.

fish99
05-04-2022, 09:57 AM
was only asked once for boat regustration that was at little bow park had a new campion 18 foot boat 150 hp . and was towing it with a old rusted out Pontiac , must of thought the boat was stolen .

borchy
05-04-2022, 11:15 AM

X2

EZM
05-05-2022, 12:39 PM
Same here. Never once asked for my card. I even asked if they wanted to see it. Nope I believe you they said. Fishing license please (it is in the same pouch as my card). They did ask if I had personal floatation devices and they were under my front tonneau cover (presto right here). I wear my inflatable ones now. EZM do you carry your registration for your boat in the boat? Never been asked for that either.

Yes, I keep a photocopy of the registration in a zip-lock in the glove box - and, also, never been asked to show it.

Reminds me, I should check this to make sure it's still in there .... :) ... probably buried under all sorts of stuff in that glove box .... My Lund has a cavernous glove box ....

Tools, spare snaps, spare plug, spare thumb screws for canopy, duct tape, sun screen, bug spray, lighters, set of tiny screwdrivers, one of those small kits with washers, rubber o rings, swivel snaps, lure o rings, o ring pliers, standard wire, and wire strippers, electrical tape, nuts, bolts, charging cords, downrigger stops, downrigger releases, planer board slide rings, sunglasses, flash lights, flares, whistle, toilet paper, soap, first aid kit, instructions for fish finders, trolling motor, a copy of the regs, GOD ONLY KNOWS what else is in there !!!!

Frank_NK28
05-07-2022, 03:52 AM
I got mine when they were introduced. Never been asked to show it. As far as I know it's still in my wallet? I haven't looked in years...lol

Smoky buck
05-07-2022, 04:54 AM
I have had mine a long time and unlike others I have been asked for mine many times but all were in BC. I have even been checked in the middle of nowhere northern BC. I have only been asked for my registration twice both times were in saltwater near Vancouver

I have never been asked for either in Alberta

gdbugs
05-12-2022, 11:27 AM
Changes to pleasure craft licencing in 2023 include:

Introducing a five-year validity period for pleasure craft licences (PCL).

Expanding the Small Vessel Regulations to include all pleasure crafts equipped with motors of 10 hp or more and all pleasure crafts (including all power-driven and sail-alone vessels) above six metres in length.

Owners must notify Transport Canada of a name or address change and of a sale or transfer of a vessel within 30 days.

Easier cancellation of a pleasure craft licence, if a lifetime PCL holder fails to apply, a PCL holder fails to renew a PCL, or a PCL holder wishes to remove their pleasure craft from service.

Introducing a $15 service fee to process an application to obtain, renew, or duplicate a PCL.

tool
05-13-2022, 08:36 AM
My card is in my wallet, never had to show it to anyone. after only a few years it is virtually illegible anyway, the writing has all pretty much rubbed off.