PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Kids - Beginner

Nousername
05-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Good Afternoon,

I used to be a relatively good Fisher when my dad would take me as a child. As I became a teen and into adulthood I've lost that, and my dad is no longer here to teach me and my kids.

I want to teach my kids how to fish. They can cast well with a washer on the end of their rods, but when it comes down to what lures and items I need to take them, I draw a blank.

I hope to take them to catch some rainbow trout this year and am looking for some guidance on what to use and how best to teach children. They are 9 and 13 now.

Thank you

AlbertanGP
05-04-2022, 02:38 PM
If you want to know how to catch stocker trout bank fishing or from a boat, these guys (https://www.youtube.com/c/AddictedFishing)will explain the A to Z's right from scratch.

-JR-
05-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Very slim chance that they will get more than one on there first trip .
I would recommend going walleye fishing in July in a boat if you want to get them to have a good memory of catching a lot of fish .

New2Elk
05-04-2022, 05:14 PM
Depending on where you live, the Fishin Hole is an option to check out for advice and then the gear as well. They had some great guys working there that can walk you through what you need and can probably even point you in the right direction for where to go. The one on the west end of Edmonton used to even provide training for kids where they brought all the gear out to a lake and taught everyone if you had a larger group (like a school class or youth group). Not sure what it’s like now as this was a few years ago.

ghostguy6
05-05-2022, 08:24 AM
For stocked trout its hard to beat a small hook under a bobber with the appropriate bait. Worms, powerbait, salmon eggs, even cheese all work. For casting you could try small spoons, spinners, jigs even the odd tiny crankbait. Some people even drag flies behind a bobber.

As for items, you will need a licence, pliers or forceps, net ( not required but sure helps) and a fillet knife if your planning on keeping your catch.

Just check the regs to be sure if you can use bait at the lake you want to fish.

goku88
05-08-2022, 06:57 PM
Good Afternoon,

I used to be a relatively good Fisher when my dad would take me as a child. As I became a teen and into adulthood I've lost that, and my dad is no longer here to teach me and my kids.

I want to teach my kids how to fish. They can cast well with a washer on the end of their rods, but when it comes down to what lures and items I need to take them, I draw a blank.

I hope to take them to catch some rainbow trout this year and am looking for some guidance on what to use and how best to teach children. They are 9 and 13 now.

Thank you
beginners you got one chance to to get them interested. look for stocked trout like chain lakes...recently stocked so thousands of hungry trout. small but fun on light gears. pickerel rigs is good better if self tie 6 or 8 pounds on a number 6 or 8 hooks.so 1/4 to 3/4 ounce bell sinker. 18 inch upside 6 hook with 1/3 of a worm another 12 inch up repeat and tie to main line cast out 30 to 50 feet wait for bites.

Simba001
05-11-2022, 08:10 AM
For stocked trout its hard to beat a small hook under a bobber with the appropriate bait. Worms, powerbait, salmon eggs, even cheese all work. For casting you could try small spoons, spinners, jigs even the odd tiny crankbait. Some people even drag flies behind a bobber.

As for items, you will need a licence, pliers or forceps, net ( not required but sure helps) and a fillet knife if your planning on keeping your catch.

Just check the regs to be sure if you can use bait at the lake you want to fish.

I second this works for a lot of different lakes and is cheap and easy to get into.