PDA

View Full Version : What flies to use in fall for rainbow

bruce44
09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
So i heard the chironomids or bloodworms wouldnt work in the fall because its too late in the season for them. So what do you guys suggest for rainbow trout here in grande prairie. I just got my first fly rod for my birthday and im kinda new to fall fishing. I only used to fish for spring or summer i have never tried fall. Any suggestions.

notagoodtroutfisher
09-11-2009, 06:03 AM
if it's still warm out, there is still geasshoppers. try a foam hopper with a dropper

notagoodtroutfisher
09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=41085

bruce44
09-11-2009, 07:07 AM
i dont know what i would put as the dropper though but the grasshopper is a good idea by itself. There have been hundreds of grasshoppers all over here. The hot weather really helps them multiply.

Rick.
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
One excellent fall pattern is a boatman. You never said if your fishing rivers or lakes and it does make a difference. Chironomids hatch year round so i don't know why they would not work. Streamers are a lot of fun if the fish will move to them. Rick.

bruce44
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
One excellent fall pattern is a boatman. You never said if your fishing rivers or lakes and it does make a difference. Chironomids hatch year round so i don't know why they would not work. Streamers are a lot of fun if the fish will move to them. Rick.

Im fishing in swan lake alberta. I was told chironomids only hatch in springand that using them now is to late. stupid tackle salesman. Anyways its a stock lake that only 15 feet deep at the most so im waiting for the algae bloom to go down.

Kingfisher
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Don't listen to the people who told you that Chronomids only are good in spring time. Read Brian Chan and Skip Morris's book Fly Fishing Trout Lakes. Brian Chan is a recognized BC biologist and Skip Morris is also a great fishermen. Actually Brian is now retired. But you won't go wrong reading this book. The information inside is just as relevant in Alberta as it is in BC. Chronomids are actually 80% of a fish's diet. Spring, summer and fall can be fantastic times for fishing them. I've had some fantastic fall fishing with chronomids.

As Rick said boatmans are another great pattern. Boatman are a fall fishing fly.

Leeches can also be great. If your fishing chronomids under an indicator then try a micro leech under an indicator. You may be surprised at what you get.

Another great book to get is Phil Rowley's Fly Patterns for Stillwaters.

Rob

johnk
09-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Swan specifically speaking, you'll want boatmen/backswimmer patterns for sure as well as big flashy leeches in maroon/purple, black/red, olive and brown. Though chironomid hatches are more isolated in the fall they still hatch and part of chironomid fishing is the larva stage, bloodworms and in October bloodworms migrate to the deepest parts of the lake for the winter. Considering the prolific chironomid hatches in the spring they don't have to be hatching for fish to take your offering. They become accustomed to attacking food items they recognize as familiar.

Kingfisher (Rob) has a pretty good idea of what he's talking about even if he lives in Calgary!:lol:

An afterthought: a large olive woolly bugger in size 6 will cover leeches as well as juvenile dragonfly and damsel nymphs and like Rob said fishing them under an indicator is a deadly technique.

dodger
09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I use the Red Ant on the Bow in the fall.
Dodger.

ULTRAlite
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM
An afterthought: a large olive woolly bugger in size 6 will cover leeches as well as juvenile dragonfly and damsel nymphs and like Rob said fishing them under an indicator is a deadly technique.

My absolute fave for fall stillwater