PDA

View Full Version : Cow Lake

Mark
05-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anybody has been out to Cow Lake yet this spring?
I'm wondering how it fared over the winter and if there was any winter killed?
Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DiabeticKripple
05-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Considering Cow Lake is closed for a few more days, I hope no one has any reports from open water season.

I was there in January and saw some fish on the cam. Didn’t see any dead ones.

biggyJ
05-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Tried fishig it on late ice. Didnt see a fish all day.

Met a local who fishes it every weekend and he had a good day on the south end.

He had talked with the bio the week before who did some measurements. North end had zero oxygen, so most fish moved to the south end where there are a few springs and more oxygen.

Hopefully ice came off soon enough for the pike and rainbows to have survived.

Mark
05-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info.
I realize that it doesn't open until May 15. Just thought someone might have been by to check it out.

Think I might try it on Monday.

tallieho
05-12-2022, 12:09 PM
Anybody recommend the campground Possibly if you have contact Say a link

nimrod
05-14-2022, 06:54 PM
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/central/cow-lake-na/

tallieho
05-14-2022, 08:47 PM
thanks

45-70GOV
05-23-2022, 11:41 AM
anyone been out yet?
Looks like the stocked this one 9 times already this year.

Catman1
05-25-2022, 10:28 AM
anyone been out yet?
Looks like the stocked this one 9 times already this year.

Was camping there this weekend, boat launch was closed due to it floating. Looked like small hand boats could still be launching but didn’t see any big boats going in. Might be why no one is responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallieho
05-25-2022, 10:50 AM
When you stayed at the campground.Did you also have to pay to lanuch a boat

littlered
05-25-2022, 07:58 PM
There was an article in the local paper saying there was " some" winter kill. Sounded like there was some survival though.

pikeman06
05-26-2022, 07:13 AM
If a few rainbows made it there will be some dandies in there by this fall. I remember fishing it back around 1987 or so and there were 8 to ten pound trout. They grew super fast. If there's one lake that should have been aerated and protected for a quality trout fishery it was cow lake.

MountainTi
05-26-2022, 07:38 AM
If a few rainbows made it there will be some dandies in there by this fall. I remember fishing it back around 1987 or so and there were 8 to ten pound trout. They grew super fast. If there's one lake that should have been aerated and protected for a quality trout fishery it was cow lake.

Were they brood trout? Used to get dumped in there. I remember being there once back in the day when it was an amazing perch fishery, down at the launch, and the truck rolled in with a load of broods. When they started pumping them off the fish were trying to swim back up on shore. Myself and buddy waded in and rolled them back out and pointed them in the right direction. Some pretty big fish

Catman1
05-26-2022, 07:52 AM
When you stayed at the campground.Did you also have to pay to lanuch a boat

It’s free to launch if your camping there. But if your just going for a day trip then it’s 10 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallieho
05-26-2022, 04:41 PM
Thanks you all.I to havenot trout fished there .Years ago,memory the place grew big fish.When the aeration,was there.

45-70GOV
05-27-2022, 07:47 AM
Thanks guys. I only have a little tinner. Might take the kids down tomorrow for a few hours. Will let you know how it goes

nimrod
05-27-2022, 12:58 PM
https://www.cowlake.ca

phone for reserving your camp spot, i just got off the phone with them, 25 for a night camping spot

pikeman06
05-27-2022, 09:22 PM
Were they brood trout? Used to get dumped in there. I remember being there once back in the day when it was an amazing perch fishery, down at the launch, and the truck rolled in with a load of broods. When they started pumping them off the fish were trying to swim back up on shore. Myself and buddy waded in and rolled them back out and pointed them in the right direction. Some pretty big fish

No this was before the perch came. It was a wicked trout fishery for a couple years. I'm pretty sure it was 1986 and 1987 when I was there. They grew really fast, kinda like crawling valley reservoir when it was first filled.

45-70GOV
05-29-2022, 08:38 AM
Never made it in. Called the campground and they preferred I wait unit the launch was ready. Hit jackfish for a bit, that place seems to be a graveyard. Not a single hint of anything on the sounder and nothing seen moving, took the kids to twin lakes for a bit. Lots of little rainbows for them to catch there atleast

fatboyz
05-29-2022, 09:48 AM
If you're just going for the day go to the North launch site. It's a public Land site and there's no charge.