PDA

View Full Version : The Reel Hookers Club (Calgary)

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Anyone have any experience with this club?
http://www.reelhookersclub.com/

Looks interesting, though the name caught me a little off guard.

Kingfisher
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I have talked to the ladies that run the club. They are a great bunch of gals. Their motive is to just find other ladies who have the same interest as they do. Fly fishing. The name they came up with is just a pun. They have a great sense of humor.

Rob

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I have talked to the ladies that run the club. They are a great bunch of gals. Their motive is to just find other ladies who have the same interest as they do. Fly fishing. The name they came up with is just a pun. They have a great sense of humor.

Rob

Their courses sure are nicely priced, as well as the other events/trips they do. Their annual membership is also really reasonable. They appear to have monthly workshops and meetings, so it might not only be informative, but a lot of fun. I'm just waiting to hear back from them about a couple of things. While the rod I've got coming isn't a traditional North American fly rod (it's a Tenkara rod), a lot of the principals will still apply.

jinx
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Their courses sure are nicely priced, as well as the other events/trips they do. Their annual membership is also really reasonable. They appear to have monthly workshops and meetings, so it might not only be informative, but a lot of fun.

x2 i have been thinking of joining in this group as well but havn't got off my butt yet

DarkAisling
09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
x2 i have been thinking of joining in this group as well but havn't got off my butt yet

I emailed them about the casting class they have this Tuesday (wanted to find out where it is before I signed up for it), and I haven't heard back yet. They may only read the email in the evenings.

I think you can only purchase a membership in January, but I'm not sure. $40 for the year (due in January) and it doesn't look like they prorate the fees. They've got some interesting things coming up in their schedule.

flygirrl
09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Seems to be intresting to bad its so far away from me

bsnyder
09-12-2009, 08:39 AM
:wave:they do HOOKING ??:huh:Im interested!!:o:o:o just kidding , couldnt hold that one in :lol:

DarkAisling
09-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Seems to be interesting to bad its so far away from me

They say they have some members in Montana. You're closer to them than that :)

:wave:they do HOOKING ??:huh:I'm interested!!:o:o:o just kidding , couldn't hold that one in :lol:

Certainly an eye-catcher, isn't it? :lol:

FishFearMe
09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm so getting my wife to join that club. God knows we can use the extra money and some fish would be nice too...

DarkAisling
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Turns out you can join them anytime, not just in January. Jinx did some sleuthing and turned that info up :)

So, I decided I'd bite the bullet and become a member now, instead of in January. Membership gets a discount off of the casting cl*****, so it makes sense to become a member and then take the class.

They don't use the PayPal payment system. Their system won't take a PO box, and a PO box is what I use for all of my mail. I can't use a credit card to pay for the membership or the casting class as my credit card company has my PO box and not my street address, hence the verification is screwed up. :rolleye2: A bit of an annoyance, but apparently I can mail them a cheque (and have done so). This will delay when I can take the casting class, but only by a few days so it isn't that big a deal.

EDIT: Forgot you can't say "cl*****" or wear "gl*****." Interesting that you can take a "class" . . . I guess you're allowed to be an "ass"

flygirrl
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=DarkAisling;387466]They say they have some members in Montana. You're closer to them than that :)

Yes I know but sometimes ya just get tired of driving. One of the main problems with living in Rocky. Great fishing, great hunting, still redneck country but out of the way of everything.:lol:
Of course I do have a girlfriend in Calgary whom I could stay with if I wanted to come down:wave:

baitfisher83
09-12-2009, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=DarkAisling;387466]They say they have some members in Montana. You're closer to them than that :)

Yes I know but sometimes ya just get tired of driving. One of the main problems with living in Rocky. Great fishing, great hunting, still redneck country but out of the way of everything.:lol:
Of course I do have a girlfriend in Calgary whom I could stay with if I wanted to come down:wave:

get yer ass down here, we didnt do any pike fishing by caroline..lol

flygirrl
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=flygirrl;387626]

get yer ass down here, we didnt do any pike fishing by caroline..lol

I think you must mean to get your ass up here to do some pike fishing? cant see how Im going to do pike fishing by Caroline if we are down there:lol::lol::lol:

baitfisher83
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
well ya kinda have to be here for me to go with you, i dont care where :P

DarkAisling
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM

I think their trips are open to non-members. I'm not sure though. I'll let you know if that's the case.

The lady who runs the club (Anita) did send me an email . . . apologizing for taking so long to reply! It amazes me how email and the Internet have made everybody so impatient . . . a 24 hour turn around seems like a pretty quick reply time to me.

flygirrl
09-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I think their trips are open to non-members. I'm not sure though. I'll let you know if that's the case.

The lady who runs the club (Anita) did send me an email . . . apologizing for taking so long to reply! It amazes me how email and the Internet have made everybody so impatient . . . a 24 hour turn around seems like a pretty quick reply time to me.

Yes please let me know, It might be worth the trip down. And yes we have become a " I want it now and instant gratification society " to bad as I can remember when it wasnt like that, snail mail and rotory dial phones, heck I can remember when there were two residences on one telephone line.:lol: Shut up Wayne:lol::lol::lol:

DarkAisling
09-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Finally had the chance to meet Anita, the founder of the Reel Hookers. Truly awesome lady: very outgoing, super friendly, and a wealth of information. :) I know I'm going to learn a lot from her, and I'm pretty excited.

Swansong
09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I just went to the site and found a great deal of fun filled information. Maybe I will join you guys (oops! I mean Gals! ) at a future event. Keep me posted on your progress okay? I'm pretty tied up with work etc...over the next few months, but there is always next year to prepare for!

DarkAisling
09-25-2009, 01:22 PM
I just went to the site and found a great deal of fun filled information. Maybe I will join you guys (oops! I mean Gals! ) at a future event. Keep me posted on your progress okay? I'm pretty tied up with work etc...over the next few months, but there is always next year to prepare for!

Will do :)

Jinx is now a member too.

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 05:20 PM
to bad as I can remember when it wasnt like that, snail mail and rotory dial phones, heck I can remember when there were two residences on one telephone line.:lol: Shut up Wayne:lol::lol::lol:

you mean a guy in a little wooden shack along the new railroad to send news by telegraph dont you? and didnt you get your mail delivered by some scruffy looking character on a pony? :D

flygirrl
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually it was a donky, And why are you reading this thread? Its for hookers oops I mean us girls LOL

Grizzly Adams
09-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Actually it was a donky, And why are you reading this thread? Its for hookers oops I mean us girls LOL

I'm gonna file a Human Rights complaint.:lol:

Grizz

DarkAisling
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, had my casting class with Anita tonight. Awesome lady, extremely knowledgeable, and a lot of fun :) She was also full of praise . . . only problem is I don't know if her praise is legitimate and I really am a "natural," or she was just telling me that to make me feel good :lol:

flygirrl
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm gonna file a Human Rights complaint.:lol:

Grizz
:innocent:Dam did I step on someones toes again....:lol:seems to be a habit of mine.
No Shelly, some people are naturals at casting a flyline. Woman are usually pretty good as they have good coordination and rythem. oops there I go again:lol: Really not to knock the guys down:tongue2: because I have seen some awesome fly fisherman but I have seen some awesome fly fisherwoman too.:lol:

michelle
10-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Very Interesting! I might have to check out this new "club" he, he.:lol: Life has been so busy I have not even gone out once with my new fly rod! :cry: