PDA

View Full Version : beauty day

WayneChristie
05-23-2022, 08:30 AM
On the Bow. decided to enjoy the sunshine and drown some worms, it was a slower fishing day but the walleye decided to do lots of bait stealing so I ended up catching 4 or 5 of them 2 types of suckers, and my first dino of the season a feisty 42 incher. The river is almost the lowest Ive seen it around here, watching pelicans waddle most of the way across isnt a pretty sight, I hope they are filling up on the prussians! found a whole tooth and a few more fossils, tooth was pretty much laying under the tip of my rod! Also got to see a ton of mulies and my first sighting of new antelope fawns this spring, they might not be big but boy can they burn up the prairie when they run! :sHa_shakeshout:

marlin1
05-23-2022, 12:43 PM
looks like a good day

300magman
05-23-2022, 04:27 PM
Awesome looking day! That tooth is too cool, man I’d be putting that in a glass display case on the mantle if I found it!

WayneChristie
05-26-2022, 05:48 PM
I hit my favourite dino hole today, had a 43 incher in the first 15 minutes then it slowed way down. I saw 4 or 5 more jump, but they werent interested in my offerings so I just suntanned and watched nature go by. still a great day:sHa_shakeshout:

Howard Hutchinson
05-26-2022, 05:53 PM
I hit my favourite dino hole today, had a 43 incher in the first 15 minutes then it slowed way down. I saw 4 or 5 more jump, but they werent interested in my offerings so I just suntanned and watched nature go by. still a great day:sHa_shakeshout:
>>
Look at that guy! Awesome to see...Good for you WC!

philybllt
05-28-2022, 05:46 PM
Good days are easy to know. Looks like one already

WayneChristie
06-01-2022, 08:03 AM
I may as well use this thread to keep track, hopefully I have a great season this year and manage to hit my goal of 700. Sad seeing a line of pelicans shore to shore most barely knee deep in the Bow!
I hit my favourite spot yesterday, clear blue skies, pretty much no more wind than a gophers fart. the fishing was slow. took an hour or more for my first bite but it was a good fish! I ended up catching a sucker and 3 sturgeon, 49.25, 47 and 42 inches. its even more of a pleasure catching them in clear water and seeing them fight, I hope runoff starts soon so they can start to do some travelling and make some babies for my grandkids to catch!
I even found another handfull of "fossils" including another piece of a big tooth. I love this country!:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
06-16-2022, 07:53 PM
Rivers big and dirty, 5 pounds of weeds a cast, long walk to my spot, and only 4 bites all day. Fortunately all dinosaurs! 45 , 33, 43, and 53 inches. Getting closer to my goal. :fighting0074::sHa_shakeshout:

sns2
06-17-2022, 06:56 AM
Wayne, don’t ever leave this forum. Your threads are top shelf. Thank you, sir.

SNAPFisher
06-17-2022, 07:48 AM
yeah, some amazing specimens. Good thread!

That shot back on 26-May is perfection. You sure handle them well, it shows.

Stinky Buffalo
06-17-2022, 08:23 AM
Wayne, don’t ever leave this forum. Your threads are top shelf. Thank you, sir.

X2! So great to have you share your experiences on this forum.

KGB
06-17-2022, 11:18 AM
That’s an awesome catch! Are you allowed to keep any of them? They are super tasty….

snakeman
06-17-2022, 10:24 PM
Your posts have kept me lurking here for many years, great stuff

WayneChristie
06-18-2022, 07:01 AM
Super slow day catching, took me 4 hours to catch 1 sucker, and another 4 hours later Id had enough sun on my skull. I had everything packed for my walk out, turned to grab my rod and reel in, and it started bouncing of course. Set the hook and got to play thread the needle through the flooded willows to land and release a 44 incher.
Id say well worth it. I got to see the weirdest beetle gathering Ive ever seen, found a beaver skull, watched a blackbird do some pretty fancy aerial maneuvers when it flew into my line full speed, as well as a lot of lake sturgeon breaking water. I knew there were big fish in Alberta, Ive been told of 1 giant caught on the Sask side in the river that sounded incredible, and is my personal individual fish goal. The fish I saw breaking water, as in plural) as well as a lot of huge heads peeking out of the chocolate milk told me there are more giants waiting to be met and I will say straight up, 30 pound test line on a persons sturgeon gear is going to leave you drinking your tears if you ever are lucky enough to stick your hook in one! :fighting0074:
damn I thought I was addicted before
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::s Ha_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:
as for eating one, if they ever bring back a season for them Id rather eat my own arm, these fish are the best and craziest thing swimming in the province and I couldnt bring myself to eat one. Besides theres plenty of rattlers to chew on down here :scared0018:
I was also reminded quite beautifully , of the dangers of sitting on the grass in southern Alberta, the pincushions can hide anywhere but this week when the sun comes up so do the gorgeous blooms :sHa_shakeshout:

livinthedream
06-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Very nice Wayne! Can you please show us a photo or drawing of your rig-up for Dino's. Thanks.

WayneChristie
06-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Very nice Wayne! Can you please show us a photo or drawing of your rig-up for Dino's. Thanks.

I can show you in video :) simple and easy. breakaway weights are very important especially during runoff when everything is flooded with my rigs, personally I dont use slider rigs although they do work. :thinking-006:
Certainly not "EPIC" but my system had caught a lot of fish :bad_boys_20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t42WNGjmI

livinthedream
06-25-2022, 08:15 AM
Thanks Wayne!

WayneChristie
06-25-2022, 08:21 AM
glad to help. I only have 1 good eye so the simpler the rig the better I like it. :thinking-006:
apologies for the link. I speek not for too good to self explain :bad_boys_20:

OL_JR
06-25-2022, 05:49 PM
Awesome stuff you are the sturgeon master.

roper1
06-25-2022, 09:57 PM
Heckuva thread Wayne. Appreciate it!!

CaveClown
06-26-2022, 05:59 AM
I can show you in video :) simple and easy. breakaway weights are very important especially during runoff when everything is flooded with my rigs, personally I dont use slider rigs although they do work. :thinking-006:
Certainly not "EPIC" but my system had caught a lot of fish :bad_boys_20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t42WNGjmI

Great post, I gotta get myself out away from work to have some fun at the river one of these days, hopefully soon.

Also thanks for that vid, I am going to use your set up instead since it is so much simpler then mine and a hell of a lot quicker setting up.

Hope you have at least another dozen or more of those beautiful days with your line in the water.

WayneChristie
06-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Awesome stuff you are the sturgeon master.

ha I wish, just have a lot of rod hours I doubt I catch more than anyone else. Just have more fun doing it!!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
06-26-2022, 09:54 PM
I planned on being a responsible adult and getting yardwork done today. Til I looked out the window and saw the sky. :snapoutofit:
It wasnt breakneck action, but it was a great day all the same. I got set up and first thing i saw was a 3 foot-ish sturgeon come straight up out of the river, there was a good foot or more of air under its tail. Almost made up for the big mug of coffee sitting on my kitchen counter at home. :angry3:
I caught a couple suckers, big Silver Redhorse, then fate washed up a chub minnow on the shore at my feet so I hooked it on and flung it out. Had a couple tugs but finally someone picked it up. Turned out to be another bait stealing river walleye, in its runoff colors. Its interesting to see the difference with the lake eyes, so much more striking camo when you dont have chocolate milk to hide in I guess
I got lucky and met a couple pretty teens, not gear busting giants but still amazing healthy fish probably getting around the 20 ish year old mark 1 was 26 inches the second 29 and both covered in razorblades just the way I like them :sHa_shakeshout:
The odd gust of wind and not a single cloud in the sky the whole day, what a beauty

Theplugman
06-27-2022, 05:22 AM
Looks like Fun day.

tirebob
06-27-2022, 08:53 AM
Looking like a great summer for you so far sir... Thanks for the thread!

WayneChristie
06-27-2022, 07:02 PM
I totally meant to get caught up on what I skipped out on yesterday :thinking-006: but since when does southern Alberta get 2 blue sky days in a row, I had to see for myself so I went fishing. :bad_boys_20:

I hit the river around 8, different one this time and it was slow as molasses. A couple suckers to wake me up, then finally after about 6 hours I hooked into a very scrappy 48 inch dino. not long after I released it, I was watching my rod tip twitching as the weight skipped along the bottom. This time it didnt stop, the line started peeling off the reel when I lifted the rod tip, and I remembered how much I love fishing:sHa_shakeshout: . A long battle that started when the sturgeon jumped and ended when I finally got it to shore and watched the fish swim back out into the current. There were several times I was trying to figure out how to run down the shoreline after it when I was ankle deep in the gumbo on the shore! My line was starting to get pretty close to the reel, I saw line today I hadnt seen since I spooled the reel. Fish was 57 inches, almost 5 feet but not quite, still, my biggest of the season so far :bad_boys_20:
Ended off with a 25 incher I originally thought was a walleye when it hit. not a bad day, Id have to call it a beauty.

WayneChristie
06-29-2022, 04:19 PM
I was a good boy yesterday, stayed home and did chores. It figures, today we have some wonderful weather coming through, my favourite!:sHa_shakeshout:
I thought Id hit the river even for a few hours, and it was definitely keep an eye on the sky kinda morning.
I started with a couple suckers, then the wind blew in from the big cell to the north of me and had a light bite I could barely pick out with the rod dancing in the wind. Give it the old heave ho and hooked up with a nice 35 inch dino, the whitecaps really stir up their food on the bottom and I usually have decent luck when its howling hard.
A second light bite, maybe a quarter the yank the suckers were hitting with. Reeled it in and had a nice little guy about 30 inches.
Couple more suckers, lots of goldeye bites, then the wind kicked up again and I dropped my bait just about where my chair usually resides after runoff on the gravel bar. This time it was a bit of a harder bite, still not very exciting, until I set the hook :bad_boys_20:
Had a few long heavy runs, got it to shore and in my hand, and when I went to unhook her she took exception and zipped back out into the current. Im glad I had left my reel bail open , I hate swimming in cold runoff rivers!
Finally got her(it) to shore again and got the hook out. 53 inches of muscle, damn I love fishing! caught my first clam of the season too, they dont give a lot of indication when they bite!:fighting0074:
The rain clouds were almost at me and I had a long walk to the truck so I packed up and headed home. another day, even the huge distant storm clouds were beauty today! third pic is a still of my rig, for those who dont watch vids.

DiabeticKripple
06-29-2022, 04:46 PM
Love it Wayne!

WayneChristie
07-01-2022, 06:28 AM
I managed to force myself to go fishing yesterday, difficult as that was. I did manage to get a few hours of gardening in so its all good.
The weather was great, the wind left with the storms from the day before, the sun was shining, and the dinos were hungry. I tried out my new shade, there are so few trees around the coyotes have to line up for hours to use the 1 pee tree so you have to bring your own. Really happy with it, I will have to see how the strong winds do but 1 good day anyways with it.

I set up and right off the bat a sturgeon rose of course on the far side of the river, and I got all shaky for a couple minutes. My personal best was a big fish, but this one was scary big. Didnt manage to get a hook into her, but I did get to meet a bunch more!. The rod was so still I could see when a sturgeon was whiskering my bait, the quick little wiggles as it found my worm with the barbells then a bit of a twitch and a few little tugs. they were biting like perch yesterday, the only time the rod tip moved more than a couple inches it was damn goldeye robbing my bait yet again.
It was very interesting, usually its a matter of all sorts of other species biting before you get lucky and the fish you are hoping for but yesterday it was the odd goldeye, and sturgeon. 1 sucker landed just before I packed up, the rest of the day it was pretty much all dinos :fighting0074::sHa_shakeshout:
I did lose 1, doesnt happen often with heavy gear, but this fish didnt feel like it was very big, I think it was just wrapped in the line , then it jumped and threw the hook. It was a lot bigger than Id thought, but maybe I will get another shot at it.
I ended up with 5 landed for the day, 1 lost, and 1 more to dream about :bad_boys_20: There are monsters in those rivers, I know my personal best is no where near the biggest and Im really hoping to get aquainted with more!

58thecat
07-01-2022, 07:52 AM
Dam never a dull moment when your out and about.....well done:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
07-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Dam never a dull moment when your out and about.....well done:sHa_shakeshout:

between trying not to step on a rattlesnake, or a big cactus, listening to the cattle bellowing at each other, almost getting stuck in a big mudhole on the trail, getting barked at by a damn coyote , bombed by birds, getting stuck in the shore mud, watching a frikkin coon again doing its Eiger Sanction impression across the cliff face to eat more swallows, its just another day at the office around here :sHa_shakeshout:
I forgot to mention, biggest dino was 54.5 inches yesterday, and I did set a new record for my fishing, first day Ive had FOUR damn birds fly into my line full speed, pretty sure 1 was a repeater. no splash downs but they did get pretty close :sHa_sarcasticlol: at least this time it wasnt pelicans thats a trip!!!:bad_boys_20:

Fish Jesus
07-06-2022, 11:49 PM
Awesome stuff bud

Keep the buzz alive

happyfisher
07-08-2022, 04:31 PM
Hi all...If I went to the forks ( SSR and Bow) in a week or so, Is it still possible to catch a Dino? Or have they migrated back?

I have no idea about their traveling patterns....

Tnx

Happy

Positrac
07-08-2022, 04:59 PM
Pretty cool stuff WC.

I'm going to have to give it a try one day. Probably be a lot of fun on my old 3106 Sage / Calcutta 400 TE combo.

Thanks for posting.