PDA

View Full Version : Boat operator lience,where to get one ?

-JR-
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
The dead line is around the corner ,and noticed there are many site on the net to get one. Which is the the best site ,or is it best to do it at a branch that sells lience plates etc.

baitfisher83
09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
i believe the government website does them...probably best to check that out..

DarkAisling
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I got mine through here:
http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

I've got no complaints about the process or the service.

flygirrl
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The dead line is around the corner ,and noticed there are many site on the net to get one. Which is the the best site ,or is it best to do it at a branch that sells lience plates etc.
Check with Bass Pro Shop, they had someone set up outside doing boater licenses last weekend.

-JR-
09-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Just went on the site ,starts off good,gives you a study site ,then you pay $53.00, and give them your email address , then you go to next page and it tells you ,you can not use your home computer and need someone to watch you so you do not cheet and they can not be a family member !

JessePat
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes...you must be honest...because everyone in the world is honest.... ha ha

thorne
09-13-2009, 12:05 PM
did mine on that site last tues. was no problem....just gotta find a friend!

moosemad
09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Just went on the site ,starts off good,gives you a study site ,then you pay $53.00, and give them your email address , then you go to next page and it tells you ,you can not use your home computer and need someone to watch you so you do not cheet and they can not be a family member !

I had the same problem, why do you need a person watching you. Kind of takes away of doing something online. Worse part was not telling you until you already had your credit card number registered. Be easier just to go to the license bureau and do it there.

stuartmcgrandle
09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
explain to me how that works, you have to convince the computer program that a friend is in your house watching the test?

stuartmcgrandle
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
u have no problem giving the government 53.00 for a licence that no body has had in alberta for over 40, 50 years of outdoor recreation yet somehow we need this service and we have to pay for it, i dont see where this satisfies you help me understand?

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 10:12 PM
u have no problem giving the government 53.00 for a license that no body has had in Alberta for over 40, 50 years of outdoor recreation yet somehow we need this service and we have to pay for it, i dont see where this satisfies you help me understand?

I don't think anyone is happy or satisfied about having to get one . . . I was pretty ****ed off that I need a operator's card to run my canoe with a trolling motor.

javlin101
09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Was watching the news yesterday & they stated that 75% of Alberta boat owners do not have the operators card. They also said after giving people 10 years to aquaire it the law is going to start clamping down & charging boaters without it.

floppychicken
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Personally, I think it's a GOOD thing.

I DO hate the idea of having to PAY $53.00 BUCKS for the damn thing but whatever....It may be worth it.

I think this will get a lot of the underage Kids out from behind the drivers seat of those WAKE BOARD boats and crap like that.... I've seen way too many irresponsible Kids out there doing foolish, if not Dangerous ****. Having said that, there are a LOT of good Kids who's parent's teach them right and just don't let take off with the boat keys.... Kudos to them...

Perhaps the license thing will help eliminate some of these accidents and WEED out some of the 'Hacks'... In particular, the Boaters with their $100,000 rigs that can't even back their boat down a launch !

JMO,

/FC...

K.J
09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I hear that if you are going to one of those places that rent jet skis you do not need to have this licence. All you need is the $55 per half hour of rental. This kinda irks me if it's true because I am pretty sure the reason they came out with this was because of the accidents and deaths that were happening on these jet skis in the first place.

pecker
09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I hear that if you are going to one of those places that rent jet skis you do not need to have this licence. All you need is the $55 per half hour of rental. This kinda irks me if it's true because I am pretty sure the reason they came out with this was because of the accidents and deaths that were happening on these jet skis in the first place.

WRONG- any one who allows use of or rents to anyone that does not have the operator card is also liable .:huh:

RedHeadedFisherman
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Personally, I think it's a GOOD thing.

I DO hate the idea of having to PAY $53.00 BUCKS for the damn thing but whatever....It may be worth it.

I think this will get a lot of the underage Kids out from behind the drivers seat of those WAKE BOARD boats and crap like that.... I've seen way too many irresponsible Kids out there doing foolish, if not Dangerous ****. Having said that, there are a LOT of good Kids who's parent's teach them right and just don't let take off with the boat keys.... Kudos to them...

Perhaps the license thing will help eliminate some of these accidents and WEED out some of the 'Hacks'... In particular, the Boaters with their $100,000 rigs that can't even back their boat down a launch !

JMO,

/FC...

was at PCR today 3 CO's there checking boats.. 2 boats ( while i was standing there) no lic. 8 walleye in live well CO was writing tickes like mad!! hahahahah:D:D
will be many LESS A**h**les on PCR L)))

goosefrabba
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM
there is usually a tent set up at BPS at Cross Iron Mills on the weekends. you dont have to pay unless you pass either

pecker
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
was at PCR today 3 CO's there checking boats.. 2 boats ( while i was standing there) no lic. 8 walleye in live well CO was writing tickes like mad!! hahahahah:D:D
will be many LESS A**h**les on PCR L)))

right on - got to love it - that'l learn them - we hope .:lol::love:

K.J
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
WRONG- any one who allows use of or rents to anyone that does not have the operator card is also liable .:huh:

ok right on. must be silly rumours I heard. Would seem pretty unfair if they didn't need it to rent.

I think in some respects it's a good idea to have licencing, i mean a person should be compentent to drive one. I wish however there were different cl***** of boat licences like we have with our motor vehicles. If I am going to drive a 12 ft aluminum boat with a 10 h.p. motor on a little lake like twin beside Rocky Mtn Hse why in gods name should i have to know the regulations applying to much larger boats on huge bodies of water that I will never be on.

o-well i guess they are trying to get a system going. Its been a long time since i have heard of any teens getting killed on seedoos.

moosemad
09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Better get it, the fine is going to be $250.00.

huntsfurfish
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Boaters have had about 10 years to get them. Im sure some will be screaming about the $250.00 fine. But cmon 10yrs. - ya deserve it if you get caught and dont have it!:)

DarkAisling
09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

True. I spoke to one place that rents jet skis a month ago, and they informed me that I didn't need an operator's card (I do have one). I knew this was incorrect, but they insisted that was the case. It was a houseboat company that we were renting a houseboat from.

I suspect that some companies are telling people they aren't required so their bottom line isn't affected. People will probably skip renting a jet ski (or similar), if they only rent once every couple of years while on vacation.

The Elkster
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Last I heard renters were exempt from needing the license. i think it was to passify rental businesses when this was first proposed. Maybe they have slowly changed that as the licensing is slowly and begrudgingly accepted.

MAC
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I think it is ridiculous also, but you do not need a license to rent any type of craft. The law states you must have proof of competency to operate motorized pleasure craft after September 15 2009.

Proof of competency can take one of three different forms:
a Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
proof, such as a course certificate, that you have successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999;
or a completed rental boat ••safety checklist.

Taken straight out of the boating guide from the office of boating safety.
The rental safety checklist has you answer 16 questions like you know how to turn off the craft, dont drink while operating craft, right of way to unpowered craft.

Some rental companys are asking for operators license but they dont need to.

MAC

Tredeb
09-16-2009, 03:26 PM
This whole pleasure craft operator license is the biggest waste of time I have seen. It does absolutely nothing to make someone a better operator. I think the whole impetus for it was the idiots on PWCs. I guess it may limit underage kids, (a simple age limit could have done that) and it may limit people letting all their buddies try out their PWC but I really doubt that.

Think about it, if you are just trying a PWC out, you are probably willing to risk getting stopped by the cops and checked for a license. If you are in the market to buy one, you will either take your chances or get your license.

Really, the only questions I remember from the test are the ones that made me laugh and they were the no-brainers. Now I know to throw people a life preserver if they fall overboard instead of just dangling my leg for them to grab or jumping in with them. I also know that if your life jacket has a bunch of rips and stitches in it or hangs to your knees or stops at your armpits, it is not approved for use.

Which side of that buoy am I supposed to go on? Who knows, I forgot that 10 minutes after the test and I will brush up on it if I ever go in waters where there is a buoy that marks something other than a swimming area.

I hope I didn't give away too much of the test, but if they were serious about this, they would have made everyone pass a practical competency test. Bring your boat to the lake, launch it, take an instructor for a ride through a specified area, load it and be on your way. At least then, the license may actually mean something.

Rant off.

DarkAisling
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Proof of competency can take one of three different forms:
a Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
proof, such as a course certificate, that you have successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999;
or a completed rental boat ••safety checklist.

Good catch, Mac. I guess my brain skipped over the "safety checklist" part.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Having just picked up a second-hand inflatable and an electric trolling motor I spent the past two weekends boating and fishing (trolling) with the wife and I had no idea that this license applied to my "vessel" as well. :rolleye2:

I will get my card immediately but it seems to be another example of bureaucracy at its finest. I've never owned a boat in my life, but I apply "common sense" to my "boating". I carry and wear life jackets, keep the oars on board, and have a "bailer" and signaling device. Yet I can still get a $250 fine for operating my dingy that can't go faster than a person can walk, ....Yet some 19 year old party'er can operate a $60,000, 350 HP inboard speed boat with nothing more than answering a few questions and tick them off on a piece of paper just because he is a renter????? What a joke.

WayneChristie
09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Having just picked up a second-hand inflatable and an electric trolling motor I spent the past two weekends boating and fishing (trolling) with the wife and I had no idea that this license applied to my "vessel" as well. :rolleye2:

I will get my card immediately but it seems to be another example of bureaucracy at its finest. I've never owned a boat in my life, but I apply "common sense" to my "boating". I carry and wear life jackets, keep the oars on board, and have a "bailer" and signaling device. Yet I can still get a $250 fine for operating my dingy that can't go faster than a person can walk, ....Yet some 19 year old party'er can operate a $60,000, 350 HP inboard speed boat with nothing more than answering a few questions and tick them off on a piece of paper just because he is a renter????? What a joke.

you got it. need a license to run an electric on my canoe, gotta love the government

huntsfurfish
09-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Long over due. More and more boating traffic. You need a licence to operate a car and you should need one for a boat. Times have changed - get over it.:)

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Long over due. More and more boating traffic. You need a licence to operate a car and you should need one for a boat. Times have changed - get over it.:) I couldn't agree more!! I'd actually like to see them INCREASE legislation where you have to pass an actual test...like a drivers license road-test, not just an online written 15 minute self-test.

What I have a problem with is the definition of "boat". Any powered boat..sure... But an inflatable? a canoe?? Shall we apply the boat operators rules to a belly boat? how about an air mattress with a "D" cell battery-powered plastic prop??

My whole complaint is not with having to have properly educated and trained boat operators...but with the gov't's application of the rule. Like I said...a kid with NO boat experience at all, can rent a high powered boat and go flying around a large lake at speeds that can kill...but he doesn't need a PCOC...yet a fisherman on Wedge pond with a 6 foot blow up dinghy and an electric motor faces a fine. Get it?

huntsfurfish
09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
"I couldn't agree more!! I'd actually like to see them INCREASE legislation where you have to pass an actual test...like a drivers license road-test, not just an online written 15 minute self-test."

Could you imagine the whinning then.:D

How bout just state watercraft. Doesnt matter what you drive. Plus then it doesnt matter what you are operating.

Seen some sailboats clipping along quite fast - we should all need one!

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
How about.....ahh..ferget it. You've obviously completely missed my point. You keep trying to argue the "why we should have it" debate, instead of my pointing out the dichotomy of the legislation.
meh....just another example of our governments lunacy. Im gonna buy myself a captains hat when I graduate from my PCOC course!! :lol:

WayneChristie
09-20-2009, 04:58 PM
come to think of it, Canadian tire sells pool loungers with an electric motor, Im sure that falls under the legislature as well, it is after all a powered watercraft as much as an inflatable dingy. :D