PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Fly Combos

DarkAisling
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Most of my spinning gear is in the mid-low price range (never paid over seventy-five for a combo . . . and max I've paid for a reel is fifty), and most of it is really quite good.

I'm browsing (not buying . . . have a special date coming up and I'm thinking of leaving some really obvious hints) for 5/6 fly combos with 2-piece rods around 8.5', and I don't know what type of unfortunate circumstances can occur with the cheaper combos.

Is there anything I should watch out for?

tonyflyfish
09-12-2009, 09:24 PM
My first set up was the $100 special at TFH. When it comes right down to it a reel doesn't do much more than store the line. Even an inexpensive reel brake can be palmed easily. (use your hand to control the drag). I found the 6 wt rod to be just fine UNTIL I got into higher quality. I do not believe that distance is all that improtant so the starter rod was fine. I just bought 4 more rods on this forum so am anxious to try them out.

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks TFF :) That helps alot. It seems to make sense to me to get something on the inexpensive end, and then upgrade once all of my "wants" are clear.

I saw that FSOT ad too . . . looked like a smokin' deal, but as I'd just spent a whack of cash on a Tenkara rod I couldn't do it.

Sundancefisher
09-13-2009, 09:20 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=colton+fly+fishing&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I have seen these colton products...not bad. I would use the make an offer and see what you can get it for. Go for the http://cgi.ebay.com/Colton-CRG-I-I-5-7-Weight-Fly-Reel-NIB_W0QQitemZ190333115663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2c50bcdd0f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 reel
and the rod http://cgi.ebay.com/Colton-Slipstream-5-Weight-Fly-Rod-BLOWOUT-PRICE_W0QQitemZ200380132442QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7962c5a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sun

P.S. I have an offer in myself. Otherwise there are other potential ebay opportunities. Baring that get the TFO starter package.

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I do have a line on an interesting, and very inexpensive, rod. I was going to wait for the other-half to gift me with one, but then I stumbled across this deal. It sounds like it might fit the bill really well, but I won't see it until Tuesday or so. It's a test blank for a local custom rod company, and as such isn't very pretty.

I did make an offer on the 6wt Colton . . . it was pretty low though as the shipping would be $25.

honda450
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Buy cheap. Get cheap products. Buy quality it will last for years. :wave:

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 11:50 AM

True, but sometimes you save money buying something cheep, using it, and figuring out exactly what it is that you want. I can't tell you how many times I've spent a lot of money on a good quality product, only to decide it wasn't what I wanted. Then I have to try to sell it.

I'll use an inexpensive set up for a season or two, and if it survives it will go into the "loaner" pile to be abused by sons and nephews.

slingshotz
09-13-2009, 12:35 PM
One very underrated company is Amundson, they are Canadian out of Burnaby. They have a Rocky Mountain complete outfit for under $200 http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/rockymountain/rockymountain.html. I have one of their mid-level reels on a TFO and it is a sweet reel, comparable in feel to others costing three times as much. Nice thing about their reels is that they are all salt water friendly so you don't have to worry about any corrorison.

They only have two dealers here in Calgary, Wholesale Sports and Army and Navy.

Beazer
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I was totally looking at that to start.
Thanks for the great info about Amundsen.

Just need to try this fish fly thing and see how she goes.

TroutHunter
09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I've been Fly Fishing since I was old enough to wade a trout stream with my head above water. Having taught many many friends over the years I will say this.

Cheap Rod + Cheap Line, quickly = I hate Fly fishing

Quality Rod and Quality Line = Hey , this isn't so hard

Plus Higher end gear is alot easier to sell should you decide in the end that you don't want it anymore.

Spidey
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
x2 on the cheap = frustrating theory. When we were camped at Naksusp Hot Springs this summer, I met a guy from Edmonton and he and I decided to head down to the river togther for some pan fry trout. He was new to fly fishing but seemed to be doing ok, that is until his fly snagged on a rock and he tried to pull it out and snapped the end of his rod in half.... When this happened, he looked at me in disbelief and said, "Crap, I just bought this new at Canadian Tire".

So he got to watch me catch lunch while he was fuming at his bad luck.

Moral of the story: The money we spend on gas and vehicles to get to our fishing holes, it behooves us to buy quality gear so we are not disappointed when we get there. This guy had to drive all the way to Cranbrook to the nearest CDN Tire to hopefully get a refund and head straight to a store that carries better fly gear.

My advice would be the 4 piece St. Croix Triumph (about 100 bucks). This rod would be comparable to what a $300 rod would have gone for 6 to 8 years ago. Get a basic reel and some Cortland 444 line and you are good to go. I always rationalize a bigger purchase by limiting my "Molson brown trouts" for the next few weeks, after all a flat of beer is about the price of decent fly line or a reel! Yes, I can rationalize buying almost anything.... just ask my wife!

Sundancefisher
09-13-2009, 08:46 PM

When it comes to fly reels there are many, many reels made from bar stock aluminum. Some are better than others insofar as fit and design craftsman ship is concerned. For Alberta trout you can easily get by for 15-20 years on a relatively inexpensive reel.

As for rods I would say while I love a Sage XI2 rod...the TFO type rods (of which there are now many sellers and various trade names) are perfectly fine sticks for casting with.

The Chinese have so drastically undercut the cost of graphite rod blanks and technology has leaked into their design and manufacturing I would say why ever pay $800 for a rod when a $200 retail rod is great and on half price is a steal.

Overall generally I like to buy the best value for the money. A rod reel for under $300 Cdn should be more than enough for any average to great fly fisherman. IMHO

walleyeca
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey guys,The Reel Doctor here! Why not come down to my shop I have a bunch of fly rods and reels that i pick up from the big manufactures and some are new some are just demos that travel around to the fishing shows! But we go through it all and make sure it all works new and hey why not save a few bucks! I.E we have an awesome little mohawk river combo 5/6weight with line and the works for under $150 and thats about 250 worth of gear! stop by!Thanks guys Please call 780-431-0146 or stop by at 8732-51ave,edmonton

Ace
09-15-2009, 09:17 AM
I've enjoyed my Reddington Rod (I think it's the Red.Fly2 series) from Wholesale sports more than my TFO rod. It was less expensive, includes a rod case, and I find a better rod. Plus Reddington is made by Sage and includes a lifetime warranty.

I bought a Trion reel and a spare spool off of ebay. Put on a decent fly line, now I'm addicted.

Hope this helps.
Ace

Nomad
09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
For me, the most important thing is a good quality line, then the rod, and then reel is least important. Like tonyflyfish said, it's just for storing the line.

waterfowler
09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
x2 on the reddington they make some great packages.

Geezle
09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,The Reel Doctor here! Why not come down to my shop I have a bunch of fly rods and reels that i pick up from the big manufactures and some are new some are just demos that travel around to the fishing shows! But we go through it all and make sure it all works new and hey why not save a few bucks! I.E we have an awesome little mohawk river combo 5/6weight with line and the works for under $150 and thats about 250 worth of gear! stop by!Thanks guys Please call 780-431-0146 or stop by at 8732-51ave,edmonton
Looks like I might be visiting you next spring :cool:

BowhuntAB
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Check out Southbow anglers. They are the new shop in town.
They carry a GUIDELINE EXP WITH LINE REEL AND LEADER...tube...blah,blah,blah for like 219.99. These are new and not bottom of line rods and they are great to cast.

You really get what you pay for with fly rods. To some extent...once your a decent caster you can cast pretty much anything. When your starting out quality helps prevent frustration.

DarkAisling
09-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, I got a great rod for a killer price from a truly awesome local gentleman rod builder. The details are here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=41461

brandon
09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I also have an amudson trend I love the reel!!!!!
$139.00