PDA

View Full Version : Bass, now I get it

slingshotz
09-13-2009, 01:43 AM
So many people from out east have told me how awesome fishing for bass is and now I somewhat understand from fishing for bass twice in BC now a few weeks ago. Been going down to the Koocanusa area but was wondering if that's the closest place to Calgary for them? Used an ultralight rod with 4 pound test and a fly rod with a black wooly bugger, awesome fight for their size. Best of all, they taste really....really, good

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/P1000131-small.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
09-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Great fish, and a great photo! How did you cook them?

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 06:38 AM
I don't know of anywhere closer. Wasa Lake and Jim Smith Lake, but those are both quite close to Cranbrook.

WayneChristie
09-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Surveyors Lake, you probably drive right by it. far side of Fernie. there are some giant rainbows in there too, dont let the lake size fool you. dont wade either , major duck itch in there!!!!

slingshotz
09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Yup that's where I camped the last two times. I heard about big rainbows in there but both times I never saw any rising in the morning or evening, they must have been feeding on nymphs. I was too addicted to the bass to give much effort to the rainbows. The photo was actually from Suzanne Lake where we caught the first set of bass.

The first set of bass we BBQ'd them in foil with herbs over the fire, absolutely delicious. Russian friend used two of the smaller ones to make a simple fish soup, we ate good :) Bass from Surveyors I pan fried with butter, salt and pepper, fish that fresh you don't need much else.

We all swam in there, it was fine no itching. Must be all the kids peeing in the water that neutralizes the duck crap :lol:

wake
09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Yep, they are darn good eating...

I was surprised to see they had fresh largemouth bass for sale at a local fishmarket about 3 months ago.Never realized they had a commercial harvest for them.

Geezle
09-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Nice pic :)

For as much as I've heard and seen about bass I'd really like to try fishing for them some time...it's just a pity I've got to go so far to get them.

Big fish
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
minnow slayer

WayneChristie
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
minnow slayer

most of the bass in there are small, but there are some big ones too. only problwm is the little ones get the hook first, everytime. Look for the big trout at first light, cruising the shoreline. they dont jump for foos, just open wide and swallow Bass LOL

McDeth
09-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Windermere Lake is super close and it has decent sized largemouth and the odd nice smallmouth. Right under the bridge and up into the shoals is bass heaven...3 hours away.

dryflyguy
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Had lots of good luck for bass and pumpkinseed at Tie Lake, just west of Jaffrey. They have a decent launch there too. Sun gets hot quick in the summer though and the fish tend to slow down, so do your fishing in the AM or at dusk. Small cranks or spinners work best, as well as jigs.