PDA

View Full Version : Northern Alberta Fishing Recommendations

that dude
06-17-2022, 03:55 PM
My dad and I have been restoring an old starcraft aluminum and are going to go fishing for a few days next week. I'm wondering if anybody can point us somewhere that won't be too rough for a 16' boat and catch some fish.

Right now, I'm looking between Slave lake near Shaw's point, Cold lake or Calling Lake. If you were newer to boating and had a few days to catch some fish, which lake would you go to?

Also wondering how likely it would be to get on some Walleye at cold lake? My friend lives there and says they are hard to find.

Appreciate any advice!

HuyFishin
06-17-2022, 04:55 PM
My dad and I have been restoring an old starcraft aluminum and are going to go fishing for a few days next week. I'm wondering if anybody can point us somewhere that won't be too rough for a 16' boat and catch some fish.

Right now, I'm looking between Slave lake near Shaw's point, Cold lake or Calling Lake. If you were newer to boating and had a few days to catch some fish, which lake would you go to?

Also wondering how likely it would be to get on some Walleye at cold lake? My friend lives there and says they are hard to find.

Appreciate any advice!

Damn all 3 of those places are great places. Hard to pick.

I was just at calling lake this past sunday and no lie we caught over 100 walleyes between 4 guys.

JohnB
06-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Shaw's has great fishing this time of year. Don't have to go far to get on the fish.

58thecat
06-17-2022, 05:28 PM
Cold lake has some great laker fishing,
Lakes like Ethel and Marie can keep you busy with pike and walleye and they are close by so you have a few more choices to make and not drive too far.
Sounds like a cool build to do together and better yet use together!
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guru fisher
06-18-2022, 12:26 AM
Those 3 choices are big water and might not even get on with the small iron

dustinjoels
06-18-2022, 08:42 AM
For someone new to boating/fishing I'd recommend shaws point on lesser slave. Grab some jig heads and some bait and pull up next to everybody else and it would be hard not to catch some walleye.

Calling would be my next recommendation.

Cold lake takes a bit of figuring out and you didn't mention what your you have for electronics which becomes much more of an advantage at cold lake than the other two in my opinion.

Brodhead
06-19-2022, 06:51 PM
I'd recommend lac la biche for a boat that size. Nice pike and tons of hungry walleye. And lots of islands, bays and boat launches so you can almost always find calm water regardless of wind direction and speed

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

that dude
06-20-2022, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! So far I am leaning towards Cold Lake as there are some smaller lakes nearby if it gets windy, but not set in stone yet.

I should also elaborate a little more, I have been fishing for years out of a 12 ft aluminum, but am new to operating a deep V with a steering wheel. Electronics-wise I have down/side imaging and the new livescope so I am hoping that gives us an unfair advantage :)

Do you need down riggers to be effective on Cold Lake, or would I do well jigging for lakers?

58thecat
06-20-2022, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! So far I am leaning towards Cold Lake as there are some smaller lakes nearby if it gets windy, but not set in stone yet.

I should also elaborate a little more, I have been fishing for years out of a 12 ft aluminum, but am new to operating a deep V with a steering wheel. Electronics-wise I have down/side imaging and the new livescope so I am hoping that gives us an unfair advantage :)

Do you need down riggers to be effective on Cold Lake, or would I do well jigging for lakers?

Jigging is effective but I also run pink lady’s which are divers that get your line down to 30-60 feet depending on amount of line your run out and which pink lady you have as they come in different sizes.
Attached to the pink lady I run a willow leaf and three feet behind that a apex 4” trolling lure watermelon, rainbow and brown trout colours seems to be the ticket most days.
Some just run spoons, herring plug etc.....the bite is slow right now but will pick up come end of June and into July.
I got eagle-claw rod holders so I am not arm stringing the rod and keep the boat speed in and around 2mph with you electronics you will pick up the bait balls of Cisco usually on drop off and then usually the marks in and around the bait balls are lakers just troll through the area and you should hook up or stop and drop a jig down we have success on white tub jigs most days but spoons work too:)

Good luck.

litwin
06-20-2022, 04:32 PM
I went to 8 different Northern lakes last year, you can check out the launching conditions at each location I visited.

https://youtu.be/51jEIN5qPnQ

GMX
06-20-2022, 06:59 PM
Check out Faust bay on slave lots of protection fir a 16’ boat and the fish are usually biting pretty good.