PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake Whites - Summer Kayaking!

StringTheory
06-19-2022, 09:33 PM
I've been chasing whitefish for the last few winters on Pigeon Lake with no success. I'd like to get out and chase them this summer on open water with the fly rod before all the big whites disappear for good. Problem is, I'm on a kayak and it takes a long time to cover water!

For those that fish Pigeon often, where would you recommend a guy start looking for them in the summer? I've covered the PP pretty extensively, Mulhurst a bit but not much, Grandview as well. Im thinking I might either launch from Mameo beach and check out the rock island or head to the north end and find a beach to launch from there. From what I remember the south end is a little deeper than the north, so I might not have to travel as far to find schools of whites.

The weather has to be pretty ideal to venture out as far as the humps in the middle of the lake, as it takes almost an hour to get there.

Thanks for the info everyone!

pikeman06
06-20-2022, 01:49 AM
Don't waste your time. Nothing but an incidental catch at the best of times and after numerous major summerkills in a row with little to no recruitment I sure wouldn't paddle a kayak out in the middle of pigeon lake in the summer and expect to catch a big whitefish in open water. Go out west to talbot or one of those lakes out there for a big quality whitefish in your kayak. Sheez done.

SNAPFisher
06-20-2022, 08:08 PM
I wish you luck if you try!

There was a time, like 10-15 years ago, but you are more then likely to hook a walleye or just wash some hooks if you are looking for whites there.

Sylvan is always a better bet. Or, head up to NB1.

OL_JR
06-20-2022, 10:00 PM
I wish you luck if you try!

There was a time, like 10-15 years ago, but you are more then likely to hook a walleye or just wash some hooks if you are looking for whites there.

Sylvan is always a better bet. Or, head up to NB1.

Would agree on Sylvan for whites, lots of fun and good eating as well.

StringTheory
06-22-2022, 10:11 AM
I’m surprised to hear that! Whitefish always seemed pretty resilient. Think the walleye are out competing them in Pigeon? I think quite a few people do well there in the winter. I’ll definitely be trying it, just maybe not as much effort as I’ll put in elsewhere this summer.

The south end feels like the right place to start. I’ll report back what I find!

Another question, is there any parking for a truck (no trailer) around Golden days or mission beach?

Penner
06-22-2022, 12:31 PM
I’m surprised to hear that! Whitefish always seemed pretty resilient. Think the walleye are out competing them in Pigeon?

The predominate problem is with the water quality and the temperature thereof. Nutrient overload and hot weather are the issue not the Walleye. Fair to suggest Whitefish will likely become extinct in Pigeon Lake in the not to distant future.

Talking moose
06-22-2022, 12:55 PM
The predominate problem is with the water quality and the temperature thereof. Nutrient overload and hot weather are the issue not the Walleye. Fair to suggest Whitefish will likely become extinct in Pigeon Lake in the not to distant future.

On camera last couple years I didn’t see a lot of different age class whites. Almost all of them were big humpbacks. Sad.

vic1
06-22-2022, 07:07 PM
Perhaps we should all start making noise about it and get government to start stock whitefish instead walleye.

Curtsyneil
06-22-2022, 07:21 PM
There’s lots of whites in the lake and diffrent age classes. Caught 12-26 inch fish there this winter. 2021 was marking up to 60 fish a morning and sometimes more in the winter. Would be fun to land one in the summer time but best of luck with that!!

Speckle55
06-23-2022, 05:09 PM
One of the keys of Lake Whitefish is to find them

i like to watch the lake to see where they are feeding

you will see the schools moving around you by the rise's

i will/have moved in closer to where the school is moving

if you are patience they will come around again

I use a indicator n nymph (blood worm/SJW) u do not need indicator

when i feel they are close i will figure eight the line in slowly or fast

if they are hunting the attack will be instant

i have my tension set lighter as Whitefish have softer mouths

in some lake out west you can sight fish them

but in darker water you will have to try try try .. then boom

u can do it in shallow or deep (in BC they will go 100' down)

Still Water fishing for Lake Whitefish is fun

if the lake has wind just leave it longer but cast it around still searching

here are some of my Still Water Lake White fish pic's

ohh btw i have 2 anchors out

as always this is

Food for Thought

David:)
Lake whitefish video's ,,,,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArIODcGT9gs

i am open to answering any question's

slough shark
06-23-2022, 07:00 PM
Perhaps we should all start making noise about it and get government to start stock whitefish instead walleye.

You don’t need to stock whitefish what you need to do is not stock millions of walleye, have no retention and then wonder why they have eaten a lake out of house and home. Left to their own devices as long as they aren’t all eaten there will be plenty of whitefish within a few years. Now that they’re finally allowing some walleye to be kept at a couple lakes I’m expecting the whitefish populations to stabilize and start increasing over the next few years (sylvan and gull as examples)

SNAPFisher
06-23-2022, 08:06 PM
You don’t need to stock whitefish what you need to do is not stock millions of walleye, have no retention and then wonder why they have eaten a lake out of house and home. Left to their own devices as long as they aren’t all eaten there will be plenty of whitefish within a few years. Now that they’re finally allowing some walleye to be kept at a couple lakes I’m expecting the whitefish populations to stabilize and start increasing over the next few years (sylvan and gull as examples)

I doubt it. Gull needs a real boost. I really wouldn't mind if they boosted 100,000 whitefish in there either. I do not see the whites decline due to walleye in that lake.

Simba001
07-18-2022, 03:20 PM
One of the keys of Lake Whitefish is to find them

i like to watch the lake to see where they are feeding

you will see the schools moving around you by the rise's

i will/have moved in closer to where the school is moving

if you are patience they will come around again

I use a indicator n nymph (blood worm/SJW) u do not need indicator

when i feel they are close i will figure eight the line in slowly or fast

if they are hunting the attack will be instant

i have my tension set lighter as Whitefish have softer mouths

in some lake out west you can sight fish them

but in darker water you will have to try try try .. then boom

u can do it in shallow or deep (in BC they will go 100' down)

Still Water fishing for Lake Whitefish is fun

if the lake has wind just leave it longer but cast it around still searching

here are some of my Still Water Lake White fish pic's

ohh btw i have 2 anchors out

as always this is

Food for Thought

David:)
Lake whitefish video's ,,,,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArIODcGT9gs

i am open to answering any question's

Sweet Pics. Good size on those.