PDA

View Full Version : 0 retention for Chinook in Prince Rupert again...

CDNOutdoorsman
06-21-2022, 10:21 AM
I'm off to Prince Rupert to go Salmon releasing again...
Just found out that the decision makers have implemented a 0 retention on Chinook again this year for the time I will be out fishing.
This is a real p#ss off. 3 years ago we were allowed 1 daily and 2 pocession which was good enough for us but then the 0 retention came in. Meanwhile how many 1000's of pounds of Chinook will be slaughtered ... This will be another kick in the teeth to the fishing charters and people that rely on a short fishing season to make a majority of their living in a short time period.
The BC gov't is giving me even more reasons not to go to BC to spend my $$$.

Talking moose
06-21-2022, 11:58 AM
I was fishing at Rupert 3 weeks ago and retained chinook salmon.
Spring salmon are chinooks yes? Has this been implemented in the last couple weeks?

Lastcast
06-21-2022, 12:20 PM
I was fishing at Rupert 3 weeks ago and retained chinook salmon.
Spring salmon are chinooks yes? Has this been implemented in the last couple weeks?

The regs say non-retention until July 15th - dont think you were allowed to keep any. You were allowed coho and pinks - maybe you got a coho?

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s4-eng.html

koothunter
06-21-2022, 12:25 PM
If you're ocean fishing, you do realize these quotas have nothing to do with the province of BC? The quotas are set by DFO, which is a federal agency.

britman101
06-21-2022, 12:31 PM
The closure came into effect on June 15th and will stay in place until July 15th. At that time it looks like they will revisit it, to see if there will be any opening for Chinook for the tidal waters that are presently closed. Also, for those fisherman who need to brush up on the various species of pacific salmon the BC tidal waters regs., used to have pictures of the various species of salmon and how to identify them.

Talking moose
06-21-2022, 01:24 PM
The regs say non-retention until July 15th - dont think you were allowed to keep any. You were allowed coho and pinks - maybe you got a coho?

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s4-eng.html

Nope. Was catching springs on the ocean.

Lastcast
06-21-2022, 03:36 PM
Nope. Was catching springs on the ocean.
Yah i guess i was wrong - Britman101 mentioned they came into effect June 15th - I guess i get why OP is so ****ed. Surprising a retention closure into the busiest time for guides is brutal.

I would love to see the science these closures are based on - low spawning rates? High retention last year? Lower salmon numbers in general? etc

DiabeticKripple
06-21-2022, 04:30 PM
Yah i guess i was wrong - Britman101 mentioned they came into effect June 15th - I guess i get why OP is so ****ed. Surprising a retention closure into the busiest time for guides is brutal.

I would love to see the science these closures are based on - low spawning rates? High retention last year? Lower salmon numbers in general? etc

Political pressure from you know who

Esox
06-21-2022, 04:35 PM

This closure has happened for the past 3 or 4 years for the same time frame every year, so its really nothing new.

trigger7mm
06-21-2022, 07:06 PM
So, what can you keep at this time of the year. A buddy is heading there tomorrow.

CDNOutdoorsman
06-22-2022, 12:52 PM
This closure has happened for the past 3 or 4 years for the same time frame every year, so its really nothing new.

This closure was in place last year at the same time but not the year before (first summer of covid)

CDNOutdoorsman
06-22-2022, 12:53 PM
So, what can you keep at this time of the year. A buddy is heading there tomorrow.

coho, halibut, lingcod, bottom fish etc is what we will be targeting.

CDNOutdoorsman
06-22-2022, 12:54 PM
If you're ocean fishing, you do realize these quotas have nothing to do with the province of BC? The quotas are set by DFO, which is a federal agency.

The common denominator is "Gov't"
At every level they are pathetic. But yes you are correct it is Federal. Horgan is a disgrace as well.

Dona
06-22-2022, 04:44 PM
Zone One for Kings is now 1 per day 2 in Possession. Halibut remains the same. @ under 80 cm or one over 80 cm. I just got back from Langara Island stayed at the West Coast Fishing Club.

Positrac
06-22-2022, 05:18 PM
Zone One for Kings is now 1 per day 2 in Possession. Halibut remains the same. @ under 80 cm or one over 80 cm. I just got back from Langara Island stayed at the West Coast Fishing Club.

No Silvers…?

Dona
06-22-2022, 06:27 PM
Sadly I have no idea what a Silver is ...

Positrac
06-22-2022, 06:38 PM
Sadly I have no idea what a Silver is ...

US folks call Coho…Silvers. Just like they call Chinook or Springs…Kings.

Not sure why the difference but there is on each side of the border.

Another thing that’s different…. A Tyee in Canada is a Chinook over 30lbs. But from the pictures I see each year US folks call any King over about 23lbs a Tyee. In Canada the determining factor for a Tyee is solely based on weight alone. In the US it’s a combination of weight and how many inches away from your body you can hold the fish while taking a picture.

SNAPFisher
06-22-2022, 09:11 PM
In the US it’s a combination of weight and how many inches away from your body you can hold the fish while taking a picture.

:lol: :lol:

Mike_W
06-23-2022, 09:42 AM
I'm off to Prince Rupert to go Salmon releasing again...
Just found out that the decision makers have implemented a 0 retention on Chinook again this year for the time I will be out fishing.
This is a real p#ss off. 3 years ago we were allowed 1 daily and 2 pocession which was good enough for us but then the 0 retention came in. Meanwhile how many 1000's of pounds of Chinook will be slaughtered ... This will be another kick in the teeth to the fishing charters and people that rely on a short fishing season to make a majority of their living in a short time period.
The BC gov't is giving me even more reasons not to go to BC to spend my $$$.

When are you fishing? Coho should be showing up in good numbers anytime now and at least you can keep 8 of those and still catch a release Springs. Otherwise go north to Alaska.

GMX
06-24-2022, 12:26 PM
They have springs closed right now to let the Kalum river and a few of the other rivers get there breading stick get home. Some of the rivers on the Skeena are having low returns hopefully they open it on the 15th. On the bright side I’ve heard the returns are looking positive so far.

I’m heading to Rupert next week buying an Alaska fishing license going to spend a few days north of Dundas.

britman101
06-24-2022, 01:48 PM
From some of the news releases by DFO to the Terrace news outlets, it looks like only 22, 000 chinook salmon are projected to return. This is 1/5th of the fish they were hoping for . Looks like some folks want to blame the Alaskan fisheries for overfishing salmon stocks bound for Canadian waters.
At this point it does not look like there will be any Chinook salmon fishing on the Skeena River this season.

GMX
06-24-2022, 02:37 PM
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptDTFDTyeeParm.cfm?fsub_id=585

GMX
06-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Another good read

https://www.raincoast.org/2022/01/impacts-of-alaskan-interception-fisheries-on-canadian-and-southern-u-s-salmon-and-steelhead/

SNAPFisher
06-26-2022, 08:59 PM
They have springs closed right now to let the Kalum river and a few of the other rivers get there breading stick get home. Some of the rivers on the Skeena are having low returns hopefully they open it on the 15th. On the bright side I’ve heard the returns are looking positive so far.

I’m heading to Rupert next week buying an Alaska fishing license going to spend a few days north of Dundas.

Good luck up there! Thanks for the links as well.

Thefisherman
06-28-2022, 10:48 AM

When you go into Alaska do you have to phone ahead and let them know you are coming or do you just buy your license online and go fish as long as you don't go to shore?