PDA

View Full Version : Glennifer vs burnstick vs cow

Rifle
06-23-2022, 11:30 PM
I'm getting dragged to Schott's Lake RV Resort for July long to camp with my wife's extended family. I've never fished that area of the province. Usually Pigeon or Slave or the NE lakes for me. So I looked at the map, and the regs, and those 3 lakes (Glennifer,burnstick and Cow) are within an hour and have pike/perch for my little guys to catch (and yes, Glen has walleye listed).

So that's my question. If I get a day to take them (they are 6, 8, and 10) which lake is the most likely to produce reasonably steady action. Don't care at all about size, not planning on keeping anything, just want them to have a good time and catch some fish. Have a 14 foot deep-v tin boat, 20h merc. Can PM me if you've got suggestions. Thanks

calgarygringo
06-24-2022, 07:46 AM
Based on your needs Burnstick would be my choice. You can keep the kids busy catching small perch there all day long with the possibility of the odd slough shark or walleye may grab the line. Nothing big but lots of them. Lake is small and sheltered too and seldom crazy winds there.

TROLLER
06-24-2022, 08:10 AM
Based on your needs Burnstick would be my choice. You can keep the kids busy catching small perch there all day long with the possibility of the odd slough shark or walleye may grab the line. Nothing big but lots of them. Lake is small and sheltered too and seldom crazy winds there.

X2 best bet for the kids to have a fun day

tirebob
06-24-2022, 10:20 AM
Burnstick for volume of fish I think would keep the kids busiest. I have only ever ice fished it though so not sure what it is like right now.

Rifle
06-27-2022, 09:03 AM
Right on, sounds like I know what to try and gear up for. Thank you for pointing us in the right direction. Haven't done much perch fishing except through the ice but it can't be too different. Maggots and small worms or little hooks above a weight and/or under a bobber, or 1/16 jigeads? That sound about right?

calgarygringo
06-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Pretty much. Just park of the edge of the weed beds on either side and they will keep busy.

Right on, sounds like I know what to try and gear up for. Thank you for pointing us in the right direction. Haven't done much perch fishing except through the ice but it can't be too different. Maggots and small worms or little hooks above a weight and/or under a bobber, or 1/16 jigeads? That sound about right?

MrDave
06-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Glennifer is still quite low. I think you might be able to launch at the Provincial Recreation area on the north side. It's probably 15 feet below the high water mark, as of last night. Very dirty too, with the runoff starting to bring down debris.