PDA

View Full Version : help with shore baitfishing?

nevercatchmuch
09-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I tried fishing at the trout pond and on glennifer lake......not a single bite. However, people all around me at the pond were pulling out rainbows. Everyone said they had powerbait on pickerel rigs. That's what I was doing until I got annoyed and tried everything in my tackel box - jigs, spinners, flies.... For the life of me I can't figure out the problem. Someone said I shouldn't use orange powerbait and try the mix (pink and white?)....but they should still smell the same. Any ideas to improve my bait fishing from shore? (I've caught fish at dickson before on panther martin spinners.)

RedHeadedFisherman
09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I tried fishing at the trout pond and on glennifer lake......not a single bite. However, people all around me at the pond were pulling out rainbows. Everyone said they had powerbait on pickerel rigs. That's what I was doing until I got annoyed and tried everything in my tackel box - jigs, spinners, flies.... For the life of me I can't figure out the problem. Someone said I shouldn't use orange powerbait and try the mix (pink and white?)....but they should still smell the same. Any ideas to improve my bait fishing from shore? (I've caught fish at dickson before on panther martin spinners.)

where are you from..
if close to calgary. go to PCR ( search on here for PCR) use minnows(frozen) worms or.. The Fav) smelts.. cut the smelts into 4-6 pieces. (1/2 in or smaller) use a # 4 BARBLESS hook cats of fthe dock ( or juts drop strraight down off side of dock) and get ready to toss em back lol
:D ANYONE CAN CATCH 'EYES THER lol

06Hemi
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a trout pond up here that I fish from and have found that using a pink marshmallow and slip bobber to work the best. I have used maggot powerbait also but was not as lucky as using the marshmallows. That's pretty much all I use for trout in other lakes as well, unless there is no surface activity then I use a trolling rig.

Wulfespirit
09-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Sometimes its not just about smell. Certain colours of powerbait can work better than others on any given day.

Make sure your hooks are covered with powerbait. Put a couple lumps on. Add a marshmellow into the mix. Just make sure they're covered.

Sometimes it also helps to add a little extra line to the rig underneath and then attach your sinker to the end as on many days suspending your bait a little higher off the bottom will get you more bites.

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't question it. Just do what they're doing.

Everywhere I've fished seems to have it's own route to success.

nevercatchmuch
09-14-2009, 08:08 PM
thanks wulfe - I'll put bigger lumps on and not be so cheap. lol. I thought it was best to leave the hook a bit exposed but come to think of it, the people chatching were really lumpin on the bait.

flygirrl
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
A method we use for rainbow and power bait is to slide a slip sinker onto your line attach a snap swivel so the slip sinker will not fall off, onto the snap swivel attach about 2 feet of line and a hook. I use small treble hooks as the power bait stays on better. Put power bait on ( large lump). The 2 foot leader allows the power bait to float off bottom and when the fish bite they cannot feel the weight of the sinker as the line pulls right through. Hooked fish. Its really a home made version of the lindy rig.:wave: And yes the color of power bait does make a difference as some days its white somedays its orange and somedays its any color at all. If you dont get a bite in 10 min switch baits. The biggest thing is getting it to float of bottom. GL:wave:

Wulfespirit
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks wulfe - I'll put bigger lumps on and not be so cheap. lol. I thought it was best to leave the hook a bit exposed but come to think of it, the people chatching were really lumpin on the bait.

You'd be surprised how much powerbait even a small stocked bow will snort up. :) It definately has grander attractant/scent capabilities too. Buy powerbait in white, red, orange, hot pink, and yellow. At least one of those colours (or a combo of more than one) will generally work at any given time.

nicemustang
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Orange or yellow work well, or velvetta cheese balls. X2 on a floating lindy rig (or variation). I use that a lot for stock bows. Floater and worm seem to work good as well as powerbait, always bring both. If fish are rising, throw on a bobber and a dry fly or a foam fly. Also try loading up a size 4 pickeral rig up with powerbait. Sometimes a slow retrieve works better than just leaving it there.

Hope so tips helps as it works for me usually. If it doesn't break out a smaller five of diamonds.

nevercatchmuch
09-15-2009, 07:16 PM
some really great suggestions! Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes.

RedHeadedFisherman
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Meadod to prevent Powerbait from falling off all the time;;

grag some old pantyhose,, cut a quarter/5o cent round piece.. put Powerbait on hook 9singel/treble),.. wrap nilon aront PBed hoot tie at top wit light line/heavy thead ect// throw in water catch fish all day long L)):D

( a variation on salmon roe bag )

fisherwoman
09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I had the same problem about a month ago, watching everyone else catch fish while I sat there and got skunked. Eventually the man beside me let me in on the secret. The drop off was about 10ft further than I had been casting. I casted further, and caught fish like crazy.

Also great for bait fishing is corn nibblets. Cheap, but work better than anything i've ever tried before.

WayneChristie
09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
another tip for catching more, go lighter with your line. I used to fish the stocked ponds in Kananaskis, especially Mount Lorette. I found using a very light rod and reel, and 2 to 4 pound test line I could catch trout all day long while the people beside me got skunked. works for other species too, in ponds rivers and lakes. I got hooked on ultralight, its my preferred method of fishing now, and it still outfishes most others.

pecker
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM

i've fished the dickson trout pond a few years now . tried different powerbaits , had some luck with them but any nibble and their gone-- if you didn't lose them on the cast . and ooo the yucky fingers . tried corn , worms etc. go to your favorite grocery store and get yourself a COOKED shrimp ring . UNCOOKED too soggy. cut them into small pieces - out fishes anything else 2-1 and stays on the hook. much cheaper also - freeze what you don't use. try it and let me know how it works out for YOU. TIGHT LINES. :wave:

nicemustang
09-15-2009, 10:05 PM
That's a good tip pecker...i forgot about that too. Although that is my perch bait of choice more than trout...

Wulfespirit
09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I often use shrimp as well - but sometimes they're just not interested in it. It's usually one or the other.. some days shrimp, worms, or maggots do the trick.. (outfish powerbait significantly).. other days the powerbait outdoes the meat. And it's usually a very noticable difference in strike frequency too.

By all means try the shrimp, but it won't always produce.

fisherwoman
09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I also have had good luck with cooked shrimp rings. The rainbows seem to like that. Especially in the winter months.

Paul C
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
:DHey You All
What about bait running. It works well.

AxeMan
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Kind of like last Saturday at Dolberg, eh Paul. I think I still had you beat by a few though.....:tongue2:

fisherwoman
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM

What is bait running?