PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2 piece large jerk bait rod

Smoky buck
06-26-2022, 11:12 AM
Broke the a foot off my rod yesterday and have a trip to Saskatchewan coming on the 4th of July

Need a 2 piece bait caster med heavy or heavy under 8ft with a max lure rating of at least 3oz for tossing jerk baits

Edmonton fishing holes and cabelas no help does anyone know of anywhere that carries this style of rod here in Alberta?

TROLLER
06-26-2022, 03:13 PM
I have an Ugly Stik GS2 6.6 med. heavy 2 piece. Not sure on what weight but it shows line 10-25lb.

Used it once, not right for what I was hoping so it has been stored.

40 bucks Maybe you can find someone who is heading up your way. I am in the Airdrie area.

mlee
06-26-2022, 03:54 PM
Has to be under 8'?
I use a 8'6" fenwick elite tech predator casting rod for my big pike stuff. Is 2 piece....was under $200 and I've had it 6 or 7 years now....I'm hard on gear and no issues.

OL_JR
06-26-2022, 07:19 PM
Could maybe try giving one of the shops in the lakeland region a call, Source for Sports in Bonnyville. Warehouse Sports St. Paul etc. They might carry something.

I ordered a reel from tackledepot.ca a couple weeks back and got it in under a week. They seem to have a good assortment of stuff and the prices I've looked at have been good. On the particular reel I ordered they were actually the lowest.

Smoky buck
06-26-2022, 08:56 PM
Has to be under 8'?
I use a 8'6" fenwick elite tech predator casting rod for my big pike stuff. Is 2 piece....was under $200 and I've had it 6 or 7 years now....I'm hard on gear and no issues.

I like under 8 because of fishing out of a kayak

But do to time restraints I may consider longer if I can find one. Lots of great rods out there if time is not an issue. The real issue is everywhere I have contacted in Alberta has nothing even close to fitting my needs. Fishing holes Calgary and Edmonton nothing. Same for cabelas and basspro

My last rod came from out east because of the lack of options In Alberta

PS just looked at your suggestion and it’s been diss continued which is too bad as the did make them in the specs and size I want

Smoky buck
06-26-2022, 08:57 PM
Could maybe try giving one of the shops in the lakeland region a call, Source for Sports in Bonnyville. Warehouse Sports St. Paul etc. They might carry something.

I ordered a reel from tackledepot.ca a couple weeks back and got it in under a week. They seem to have a good assortment of stuff and the prices I've looked at have been good. On the particular reel I ordered they were actually the lowest.

I will check them out

Smoky buck
06-26-2022, 09:01 PM
I have an Ugly Stik GS2 6.6 med. heavy 2 piece. Not sure on what weight but it shows line 10-25lb.

Used it once, not right for what I was hoping so it has been stored.

40 bucks Maybe you can find someone who is heading up your way. I am in the Airdrie area.

Thanks but it falls short lure rating wise so I will have to pass

OL_JR
06-26-2022, 10:39 PM
I like under 8 because of fishing out of a kayak

But do to time restraints I may consider longer if I can find one. Lots of great rods out there if time is not an issue. The real issue is everywhere I have contacted in Alberta has nothing even close to fitting my needs. Fishing holes Calgary and Edmonton nothing. Same for cabelas and basspro

My last rod came from out east because of the lack of options In Alberta

PS just looked at your suggestion and it’s been diss continued which is too bad as the did make them in the specs and size I want

I hope you can find what you want locally but it's basically a musky rod you are after and local shops might not be as quick to have those on the shelf especially in this time of supply constraints. Might have to find something online and pounce. Sail is another site to look at I've ordered from them a couple times before and no issues.

Smoky buck
06-27-2022, 07:27 AM
I hope you can find what you want locally but it's basically a musky rod you are after and local shops might not be as quick to have those on the shelf especially in this time of supply constraints. Might have to find something online and pounce. Sail is another site to look at I've ordered from them a couple times before and no issues.

Small musky rod or swimbait rod is about right for what I need

Funny thing is everywhere I called in Alberta so far says the same thing “ we don’t get many and when we do they don’t last more than a week”. The demand is there but most places head office does their ordering and only gives them limited stock. Bass pro in Calgary got in 3 rods that would have fit my needs two days before I phoned and all sold.

they all carry long trolling rods but not casting rods

jungleboy
06-27-2022, 09:15 AM
I have a couple of Ugly stik Tiger rods that are just shy of 8 ft rated to 50lb line and I believe 1 to 6 oz lure I bought them several years ago and never used em . they get good reviews on line.

OL_JR
06-27-2022, 10:38 AM
I have a couple of Ugly stik Tiger rods that are just shy of 8 ft rated to 50lb line and I believe 1 to 6 oz lure I bought them several years ago and never used em . they get good reviews on line.

Looks like cabelas has those in stock online

Smoky buck
06-27-2022, 03:37 PM
The ugly stik tiger available in cabelas is a medium action and what I was looking for was medium/heavy to heavy fast action rod. The correct rod makes a big difference when working lipless jerk bait/gliders and swimbaits

I ended up getting a 7’6 heavy fast action 2-6oz rod shipped from Ontario and paid extra for express shipping after calling around Edmonton, Red deer, and Calgary with no luck. The funny thing is the guy in Ontario said he ships the smaller musky style rods to Alberta all the time because guys can’t find them properly locally

Sounds like Alberta stores need to start stocking the correct rod to go with the big live target, savage gear, and other heavy lures they are selling. Probably be wise to stock the rods to go with the gear they sell :thinking-006:

St criox will make good warranty wise on the 7 medium/heavy fast action 3/4-3oz rod that broke so in the end I will have a little variety in my larger pike rods. And an excuse to buy a new reel lol

schleprock
06-27-2022, 08:21 PM
If you don’t mind my asking, which store store did you order it from?

Smoky buck
06-27-2022, 09:45 PM
If you don’t mind my asking, which store store did you order it from?

Lake of the woods sports headquarters they are even sold out of lots of models but had what I needed and were willing to ship express

If your not in a rush like I was there is lots of place in Ontario carrying rods in this style but 2 piece makes in tougher as most musky rods are one piece or telescopic

schleprock
06-27-2022, 10:32 PM
Thank you

OL_JR
06-28-2022, 12:43 AM
Not surprised really it seems fishing selection has always lagged a bit here and it's just worse now especially looking for more specialty stuff. Not sure why stores don't stock more if the demand seems to be there though. I honestly assumed initially it would be more due to lack of demand out here as it seems to me most would be more likely to ask a middle of the road rod to punch above it's weight class here and there than get into the heavier casting rods.
Checked out that lotw store a bit and seems to be a decent place to look into when on the search for something.

Smoky buck
06-28-2022, 07:33 AM
Not surprised really it seems fishing selection has always lagged a bit here and it's just worse now especially looking for more specialty stuff. Not sure why stores don't stock more if the demand seems to be there though. I honestly assumed initially it would be more due to lack of demand out here as it seems to me most would be more likely to ask a middle of the road rod to punch above it's weight class here and there than get into the heavier casting rods.
Checked out that lotw store a bit and seems to be a decent place to look into when on the search for something.

I would say most do buy a mid range set up to try and fish everything with it. This is partly do to what is recommended by fishing store employees. There is also a large portion who don’t even realize there is a lure size rating or different actions on a rod. Then there are those who just exceed the rating and break rods/get poor performance out of them or buy ugly sticks that are very durable

And honestly theses recommendations will still catch fish and yes they will catch big pike at times too. I also use a more finesse approach at times but not the commonly recommended lures

But there is definitely an increasing number of pike anglers who are choosing to target pike with larger gear. Personally I believe there is a benefit to it. It is nice for C&R when I use this gear. I rarely get a deeply hooked fish and rarely( can’t remember last time)need jaw spreaders. Even though it is large barbless trebles pulling hooks is fast. Most hooks I pull without even touching the fish well they are still in the water. Larger pike are brought in without being fought too long so they recover faster

This is common style pike gear in Europe where pike are targeted more seriously

Either way my problem is solved sadly my $ once again left Alberta to accomplish it

WayneChristie
06-28-2022, 07:43 AM

I have a tiger spinning its my go to when I have a long distance to walk, its never had an issue. The baitcasting rod I have is also a Tiger, I and the dinosaurs wore the guides out, twice for the tip I need to get it rebuilt. I toss 9 ounce weights no issue with both. The tips are too soft for big lures though at least my models