PDA

View Full Version : spiderwire code red

AdAMxr
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
today when i was looking through the fishing store i noticed this new line, and it was red. Can somone tell me the advantages of using red line because it makes no sense to me. i personly have never seen red water and it seems like it would be a huge disadvantage?:huh:

craigmid
09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I heard that fish can't see red. This may be total BS but I think this is the reason why there are red hooks and stuff.

Walleyes
09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
They say ??? that in a water column red is the first or shallowest color to disappear to a fishes eye..

thorne
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
just another gimic to promote a new few sales on a new thing that you "Just Gotta Have" my reasoning is thus....does a fish really have the brain power to see a very tempting bait and say "wow that looks very yummy, but what about that line comming off of it......???" if that was the case it would probably pick up on the multiple sharp hooks also sticking out of it! As long as the bait is good the line color is absolutely a none issue..if anything if it is off the wall the fish would be even more interested trying to see if he can eat it!

Duramaximos
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Red is the first color to disappear in deeper water. This phenomena is observed after about 20' deep - I believe. Perhaps some divers out there could confirm.

I was on a submarine dive this winter and it was funny to see everyone's red shirts turn dark blue when we got down deep enough.

Cal
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
well then I guess we'd better quit using red lures?

Geezle
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I was curious about that stuff as well.

Actually about line colors in general. I think my line is moss green in color, but I'm not sure if that actually has any effect on anything besides sales.

DarkAisling
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I was having a conversation with someone about this on Monday.

The colour spectrum is ROYGBIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) . . . those are the colours of a rainbow in order. Red is the first to disappear and violet is the last to disappear underwater at depth.

Basically, if you were fishing at greater depths the red line would disappear. You wouldn't want to use an orange or yellow lure, as those will be the next colours to disappear. You'd probably want to use something blue.

As for red-devils or yellow/red five-of-diamonds ??? Maybe it is somewhat psychosomatic that they seem to work so well, or maybe it is the back of an unpainted lure that the fish are responding to at depths.

It could also be that this whole "colour spectrum" thing is BS.

I think she said that there had been a thread or two related to this. I'm not sure what search terms would pull it up.

EDIT: Found a relevant thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=10813

AdAMxr
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM
thanks for the replys, ill prolly pick some up and give it a try for the hell of it. When buying line im more concernd about what material it is made out of and what lb. test then color anyways.

TimC
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm using 20 lbs code red at the moment.

to me it's just another braided line. (i like the red because i can see my line better during casting and trolling.)

other than that, nothing too special.

mooseknuckle
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
well then I guess we'd better quit using red lures?

Good Point!!? I do however use this line. It's my first time using a braid so I guess I have nothing much to compair it too. I love the feel of it over mono as for the color we were at cold lake I caught a ton pike with the popular spoons ie red/white five o d'zzz/ and so on. Buddy was using a cammo braid and he was outfished by me however I don't think the color has anything to do with it. Just my two cents:wave:

Cal
09-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Good Point!!? I do however use this line. It's my first time using a braid so I guess I have nothing much to compair it too. I love the feel of it over mono as for the color we were at cold lake I caught a ton pike with the popular spoons ie red/white five o d'zzz/ and so on. Buddy was using a cammo braid and he was outfished by me however I don't think the color has anything to do with it. Just my two cents:wave:

I agree the feel is good but after a few trips examine your rod guides, then picture the long term efects that spider wire is probably going to have on the line roller of your reel. I pulled the spider wire off of all my rods within two weeks of buying it except for my baitcasting rig as there is no line roller to bugger up though it could possibly mess up the level winder thingy.

As far as red becoming invisible I think that it merely apears to be a different color further down rather than dissapearing entirely, apparently fish have no trouble seeing whatever color it apears to be since they dont seem to have any trouble hitting a red lure at any depth.

Paul C
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
What is up with fluorocarbon line. Does it really vanish ?

moosehunter3-0
09-14-2009, 03:30 PM
they say red is invisible in deep water. I dont think it matters, I used to use clear light line so the fish wouldnt spook but lately I have switched to using 8 or 10 pound for everything. I used blue ice line 8lb last year ice fishing, never noticed a thing different in terms of fish except my line never froze lol

Beazer
09-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Fluorocarbon is the ****. It does vanish but it's difficult to find a good one for your gear with spending some poe.

I used Fireline Tracer Braid and was super succesful with it. It was rad how you saw the tracers of where your line was, then a fish would smoke your topwater lure.

I used red powerpro and then switched to green...caught zero fish with red and tons with moss green however this was in 10-15 feet water.

bsnyder
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
:D:wave:I use a bright green on my bottom bouncer rod and lindy rod with a 8 ft florocarbon leader.Helps me see where the line is but the fish cant see it.:DWorks for me:wave: