PDA

View Full Version : A few days kayak fishing with the wife in Saskatchewan

Smoky buck
07-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Just got back from the wife and I first trip fishing in Saskatchewan. We stayed at Anglers trail on lac la plonge but also fished little amyot lake, canoe river and Ile a la cross

Lots of fish caught but didn’t take many pics between forgetting phones in the truck, rough water, other person too far away or just too busy catching fish to care lol

Lots of pike caught from hammer handles to one the wife caught that broke the 40inch mark but unfortunately flipped off the kayak well setting up for a pic. A great morning of walleye fishing that was non stop. Unfortunately by the time we decided to try for Lakers the wife was too worn out to stick it out long enough to catch any

Here is a few pics of fish from our trip

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/2f149b5e64bf5caa989dc26a142a0b13.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/2b8dd3e46bedb9bfcc10d1d2fe32f323.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/ce4b87690ac9c0254f5e1a8032760b63.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/4ed69357403f145ccdae3a31eae095e9.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/519fa1a1ef318a2cc82e82ab4e1aa457.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/e6c5704023f10cc5e1d82e330fd7b6bf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220710/1beb534681a5b12497d71c51eee314f6.jpg

The smaller pike in the pics were common size and those are 2 of the 4 we bought home. The others are of nicer size pike we were catching. the two in the water are just a couple random shots of nicer pike

The top 3 producing pike lures for larger pike and we tossed a ton of stuff out there were in order

My new dive & rise jerk bait prototype (seen in pics above) was our top producer by a long shot because of the ability to work cabbage without get caught up

Number two was the rapala petos (paddle tail version if I have them mixed up)

Number 3 was the savage gear hybrid pike with the curly tail

Color was not important action and ability to fish the locations was

Best average size for pike was la plonge but Ile a la cross had numbers and some nice ones in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roper1
07-10-2022, 09:00 PM
Awesome pics SB! I was going along enjoying them wondering if I'd have to ask which lures used, end of thread.....Voila. Thanks for sharing. Well done!!

Ricki Bobby
07-10-2022, 09:11 PM
Looks like fun! I’ve never fished out of kayak.

Smoky buck
07-10-2022, 09:25 PM
Ripping cabbage beds with jerk baits was with heavy rod/braid was the ticket for sure. We were able to dig down 3-4ft into sparser beds and break through it with out fowling hooks or getting hung up. Love this tactic and why I was pushing so hard to replace my my broken jerk bait rod before this trip

The other baits we had to run high to entice them up out of the cabbage. Nothing of size came from working edges or other structure. Anything 30inch plus came from cabbage beds

Forgot to add all walleye were caught on flicker shad but I believe many other small deep diving crankbaits would have done it

Smoky buck
07-10-2022, 09:28 PM
Looks like fun! I’ve never fished out of kayak.

It can be interesting landing fish or covering ground at times but it’s stealthy and pike have no fear of it at all. We enjoy it enough that I sold my decked out kingfisher and only use kayaks now

58thecat
07-10-2022, 10:56 PM
Nothing like a great outing in the kayaks!
Well done.

HuyFishin
07-11-2022, 08:59 AM
looks like a fantastic trip!

Stinky Buffalo
07-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Thanks for sharing! Awesome pics. Looks like a ton of fun!

Smoky buck
07-11-2022, 10:38 AM
It was definitely a blast and the pics we took don’t even scratch the surface on what was caught. Our best few hours were in high winds where it was non stop action. We hit a bay with cabbage/reeds that the wind blew bait fish into and the pike went nuts. With only our phones for pics we didn’t want to risk dropping them

The locals were in shock to see us come in during 3-4ft waves lol

One tip when you are using 40lb fluorocarbon leaders(not line leader material) and catching lots of pike take time to check your leader. My leader failed on a pike that was a contender for my PB do to wear

Too bad I can’t post clips I have one off my wife fighting her 40incher and her reaction is priceless. She was happy as hell it was bigger then the ones I caught that trip lol

58thecat
07-11-2022, 03:25 PM
How do you like the Hobie yaks?

Smoky buck
07-11-2022, 04:29 PM
How do you like the Hobie yaks?

Awesome I am glade I went with Hobie over a propeller drive. They can run shallower then most peddle drives by keeping the fins tight to the hill and fluttering them. You can kick through weeds without worrying about weeds getting caught in your drive but thick stuff slows you down. When drifting shores casting I can make adjustments by just pumping the drive with one foot. If you accidentally hit bottom or a log the fins hinge back so they don’t break easily. They flip back into place on their own too but it is not recommended to hit things intentionally. Very simple to use and very efficient. Our longest day out in Saskatchewan was an over 30km round trip. You can cover ground faster than most would expect. They turn and track well

We have the mirage drive so you need to pull a cable to switch from forward and reverse this is the one downside vs propeller drive where you just peddle backwards. Hobie does make a 360 drive that doesn’t involve switching gears too

For the areas we fish they are a really good option with how they handle the weeds alone

Ours are the compass which is one of the basic models so they get way fancier

If you want a peddle drive Hobie is definitely worth looking at

58thecat
07-11-2022, 05:56 PM
Thx for the info, been following Rob Field on YouTube field trips to see what he and others run for yaks and accessories.
I have learnt to lanyard my items on the yak and fight larger fish from the front of the yak and when unhooking a fish my drag on the reel is not tight in case the fish takes a run they can go without capsizing the yak.
Had two lakers almost flip the yak by my inexperience but sometimes you learn the hard way [emoji23]
We are heading up to bakers narrows so I better have a more knowledgeable approach to larger fish. [emoji4]
If you have any tips or tricks please share as we all know yaks are relatively small so making the most of the yak is beneficial.
Thx for sharing.

Smoky buck
07-11-2022, 06:42 PM
Thx for the info, been following Rob Field on YouTube field trips to see what he and others run for yaks and accessories.
I have learnt to lanyard my items on the yak and fight larger fish from the front of the yak and when unhooking a fish my drag on the reel is not tight in case the fish takes a run they can go without capsizing the yak.
Had two lakers almost flip the yak by my inexperience but sometimes you learn the hard way [emoji23]
We are heading up to bakers narrows so I better have a more knowledgeable approach to larger fish. [emoji4]
If you have any tips or tricks please share as we all know yaks are relatively small so making the most of the yak is beneficial.
Thx for sharing.

For gear I have very minimal because I spend too much time fishing instead of shopping. I have not even installed my fish finder I bought in the winter lol

I am not much of a gear junky with anything I do

Fighting big fish it sounds like we use the same principles. I try to keep them out front till it’s time to land them and drag loose enough for them to run. I use my rudder to turn with them. Rough water is different because now I try keep my nose into the waves. I then instead rely on my reach and drag to keep to follow the fish around. I am 6”2 and limber so I get away with a 7-7”6 rod in my 12ft kayak but my shorter wife uses an 8-8”6 rod. In the end we have only been into this for going on our second season but this works for us

But I am no stranger to big water and fish out of small craft. I caught white sturgeon and salmon out of a float tube when I lived in the lower mainland so I am a little crazy :D

In the end I am just out there winging it and enjoying myself and no expert by any means

OL_JR
07-11-2022, 07:26 PM
Looks like a great trip and some great fish to boot 👍

aulrich
07-12-2022, 08:39 AM
Awesome fish, I will need to pick your brain re jerk baits sometime. I have had hit-and-miss luck on the ones I have made.

Smoky buck
07-12-2022, 11:16 AM
Awesome fish, I will need to pick your brain re jerk baits sometime. I have had hit-and-miss luck on the ones I have made.

Not a problem

WayneChristie
07-13-2022, 12:52 PM
looks like a great time! gotta love having a lady that doesnt mind wearing gator grease:sHa_shakeshout:

Smoky buck
07-13-2022, 12:59 PM
looks like a great time! gotta love having a lady that doesnt mind wearing gator grease:sHa_shakeshout:

If she didn’t enjoy fishing like she does she would have ended up as another trade in :sHa_sarcasticlol:

She kept up fishing roughly 12hrs a day