PDA

View Full Version : Elk River by Fernie

opto55
07-11-2022, 11:21 AM
I am planning to take my grandson to the Elk River the first week of August. The Guides want $1000.00 per day for 2 people and that is way too high for my pocket book. I am wanting to wade and fish those rivers. Can anyone give my help on accessing the river and wading?
All information is welcome.
Thank you.

npauls
07-11-2022, 12:23 PM
There is tons of access along the side of the highway. Just make sure you get all of the proper licensing that is needed. It is quite a bit different than buying a fishing license here in Alberta.

opto55
07-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Any other rivers worth trying in the area?

dryflyguy
07-12-2022, 08:43 AM
My advice would be check in with fly shops in town, they can let you know what the hatches have been like and where to access for a walk and wade. I know the crew at Elk River Guiding Co., they're really helpful and will have good advice on where to go/what to use.

Another good stream to check out is Michel Creek, it's a tributary of the Elk. Really good access from Hwy 3 and Corbin Rd, lots of good stretches to walk and wade

FearNoFish
07-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Absolutely check the regulations. Last time I was there, Elk and Michelle creek required a non residents license at $80 and daily tags at 20 each for the elk river. The fishing on the elk is generally dry flies this time of year and can be really good if flows are lower. The portion of the river from elkford to elk lakes is much less crowded and no guide boats generally. Don;t forget your bear spray.

Freedom55
07-12-2022, 01:11 PM
I have fished miles and miles of this river (plus Lizard Creek) and never once needed a guide. In those days, the only guides were some Italian guys (Morasco) who would outfit the elk hunters. However, one time my father accompanied me and we may have seen a sturgeon. Good times and 13 channels of television on the black and white with rabbit ears.

Free

opto55
07-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Great information guys. Keep it coming. I need all the help I can get.

dryflyguy
07-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Was thinking about access points for the Elk, there's decent access around the golf course, Hosmer has a good bit of access as you cross the river, there's also a pull-out area near the ski hill that you can scramble down to the river.

My opinion, (full disclosure, I haven't fished either the Elk or the Michel in a lot of years) if I'm walking, I'm choosing the Michel all day. Tons of access, easy to walk, good log jams and pools, lots of good quality fish

Don't forget a good set of polarized sun glasses and a bottle of Gink (or something similar) to keep your dry flies floating nice and high on the water

dalewig
07-13-2022, 10:34 AM
Really enjoy fishing the elk , even though it can be busy . There a few access points downstream of the ski hill I like , though really anywhere is good. People will say you should never nympth for cutties ha , though I’ve had to at times. These cutties get fished a lot so may be bit more picky then normal.

For more of a wilderness experience I highly recommend upper bull river, beautiful area. Also you just need the general special license for it like elk , don’t have to book days like wigwam or michel. Enjoy !!!

WayneChristie
07-13-2022, 12:50 PM
I only fished the Elk along the highway and it was a long time ago, but the old fellows fishing around me got quite upset when I was the only person catching trout. I was using Panther Martin spinners at the time and I wouldnt let them see my lure :bad_boys_20:

Freedom55
07-13-2022, 07:44 PM
A couple of old timers I met under the West Fernie bridge taught me how to catch aquatic invertebrates and nymphs with a piece of door screen nailed to a couple of sticks used by kicking up the rocks and letting the debris get caught in the screen. The most popular, and biggest, were something they called "scratchers" that, as I found out later in life, were actually helgramites or dragon fly nymphs.

Seriously, they called them scratchers because they kept 2 or 3 of them in their lip like a chaw and dug them out when they needed one. I preferred grasshoppers but I was an Alberta kid and did not know much except the Old Man and the Crow's Nest rivers. And Keho.

Free

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
07-13-2022, 07:58 PM
Bait ban has been in place along the Elk for a number of years now. Extra $20 bucks a day for classified waters for out of province people. If you use a guide you have too much money. No guide required. I never use flies but almost every one does. Seems like Hosmer bridge west is Guided territory. No end to the access from the Elk Lakes down stream. Regs change along the way so you need to know where you are.

Wes_G
07-13-2022, 08:05 PM
Haven't fished it since they brought in all of the classified water B.S. years ago. I may be wrong but you will need your B.C. License and your classified waters license. Should you decide that you wanted to fish the Michel you needed to book your day months ago, they have pretty much made it so that the average Albertan couldn't just drive up and go fishing for the day anymore unless you or were accompanied by a guide on that river.

Back when I fished it, the Elk was good but the tributaries were significantly better. I have also heard though that the trib's are a shadow of what they used to be due to all of the selenium contamination from the mines effecting the fish.

opto55
07-13-2022, 09:02 PM
Can you use spinners on the Elk river? I thought it was fly fishing only.

stein
07-13-2022, 09:04 PM
Can you use spinners on the Elk river? I thought it was fly fishing only.

you can, just needs single hooks and barbless, no trebles

opto55
07-13-2022, 09:09 PM
Thanks. So small spoons as well are ok?:bad_boys_20:

WinefredCommander
07-14-2022, 09:53 AM
Be sure of the regulations. Every river is different. Wigwam you can’t touch without a guide.

bessiedog
07-14-2022, 10:32 AM
Which just totally sucks!

Before the reg changes, we had a great stag party out there. The fishing was incredible… you had the odd kayaker zip through your hole… relax at the hot parts of the day.. glass the slopes for all manner of critters….

Run big goat hair jigs in the deep holes for huge bullies….

Twas good times.

I sure as hell DONT want them regs in Alberta…. Calgary and the rich have ‘the world famous Livingstone’…. I can have all the other spots thank you.

You can always count on the fact that wader boys won’t hike more than 1/2 km up or down a spot…. So there’ll pretty much always be great fishin

Even in the Elk….

smitty9
07-14-2022, 06:45 PM
Which just totally sucks!

Before the reg changes, we had a great stag party out there. The fishing was incredible… you had the odd kayaker zip through your hole… relax at the hot parts of the day.. glass the slopes for all manner of critters….

Run big goat hair jigs in the deep holes for huge bullies….

Twas good times.

I sure as hell DONT want them regs in Alberta…. Calgary and the rich have ‘the world famous Livingstone’…. I can have all the other spots thank you.

You can always count on the fact that wader boys won’t hike more than 1/2 km up or down a spot…. So there’ll pretty much always be great fishin

Even in the Elk….

hahaha...I think it's about time for my annual rant about needing classified waters in Alberta, dontcha think Bessie?

:fighting0074::love0025::innocent::wave::kick:

Hey, I am coming down between the 20th and 25th. Let me know if you can go fishing for a day.

-Smitty

bessiedog
07-14-2022, 07:01 PM
Heh

So long as we fish your spots n not my spots.

And you bring Crown…. An lil ice… cause it’s summer now