PDA

View Full Version : Helix 7 Issue

elkhunter11
07-11-2022, 12:47 PM
Just a heads up to anyone having issues with a Helix 7 fishfinder. If you keep getting a "transducer not connected " message on startup, the issue isn't the transducer or the cable, it is a programming glitch , that is apparently only an issue with the Helix 7. In order to make the issue go away, you need to go to the menu, and turn off the demonstration mode. I was getting the "transducer not connected " message about 75% of the time, but about 25% of the time, the unit started up normally. I finally found out about the glitch on a forum, where I mentioned the issue. A large dealer in the USA informed me of the issue, as they have had dozens of people reporting the same issue, and they contacted Hummingbird, and a tech informed them of the cause ,and the solution. I also had a power fuse blow on my Helix 7, and I discovered that the unit came with a 1 amp fuse, and it is supposed to be a 3 amp fuse.

fordtruckin
07-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Good to know! I’m in the process of having a helix 10 installed on my work boat tomorrow but was planning to get. 7 for a personal boat. I might ask the boat shop about it when I get them to install it.

elkhunter11
07-12-2022, 11:37 AM
It's an easy fix , once a person is aware of the issue, but it can be very frustrating, if you aren't aware of it. My dealer had tested my boat, and ordered a new transducer/cable, as they were not aware of the programming glitch.

58thecat
07-12-2022, 12:47 PM
It's an easy fix , once a person is aware of the issue, but it can be very frustrating, if you aren't aware of it. My dealer had tested my boat, and ordered a new transducer/cable, as they were not aware of the programming glitch.

I had issues in the past with various items and the service department went left when I went right just asking them to please google the issue at hand and surprisingly enough there was the issue and the remedy after 5 minutes of searching.
One service department I had to talk them through the process as none of their records, manuals, recalls were current and updated.
I run the same system you do and to date have had no issues, maybe just a brain fart at the assembly line, someone called in sick and the cleaner filled in [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL_JR
07-12-2022, 09:07 PM
What gen unit are you running? I have had this happen with the winter transducer on a helix 7 gen 2 but not on the summer one. The "fix" so far has been to start the unit up with the transducer out of the water and then dunk it after it's gone through the start up. Wondering if I can do the same thing, worth trying anyways thanks for sharing.

DiabeticKripple
07-12-2022, 11:35 PM
Just a heads up to anyone having issues with a Helix 7 fishfinder. If you keep getting a "transducer not connected " message on startup, the issue isn't the transducer or the cable, it is a programming glitch , that is apparently only an issue with the Helix 7. In order to make the issue go away, you need to go to the menu, and turn off the demonstration mode. I was getting the "transducer not connected " message about 75% of the time, but about 25% of the time, the unit started up normally. I finally found out about the glitch on a forum, where I mentioned the issue. A large dealer in the USA informed me of the issue, as they have had dozens of people reporting the same issue, and they contacted Hummingbird, and a tech informed them of the cause ,and the solution. I also had a power fuse blow on my Helix 7, and I discovered that the unit came with a 1 amp fuse, and it is supposed to be a 3 amp fuse.

sounds like the dealership you bought your boat from didnt set it up correctly.

I bought a Helix 7 G4 SI from the fishing hole and rigged it up on my 14" tinner. It didnt come with anything other than the unit, power cord and transducer. I used a 3 amp fuse in the battery box and havent had any issues with the unit not working correctly.

elkhunter11
07-13-2022, 06:26 AM
sounds like the dealership you bought your boat from didnt set it up correctly.

I bought a Helix 7 G4 SI from the fishing hole and rigged it up on my 14" tinner. It didnt come with anything other than the unit, power cord and transducer. I used a 3 amp fuse in the battery box and havent had any issues with the unit not working correctly.

The Helix 7 came installed from Lund, so the fuse was wrong from Lund. All that the dealer does on a Lund install, is to plug the unit in, and secure it in the bracket. And because the issue was intermittent, the unit could have started up properly, when they tested it. So , while my dealership is small, and not experts with Hummingbird fish finders, even the large dealership in the USA that told me about the issue, didn't catch the issue on dozens of boats that they delivered. A dealership goes over the basic features and controls on the boat with the customer, but I doubt that most actually go to the extent of starting up the unit, and going through the menu when they deliver a boat.

fish99
07-13-2022, 09:43 AM
has anyone had a problem with there way points disappearing on the helix 7 models

58thecat
07-13-2022, 11:50 AM
has anyone had a problem with there way points disappearing on the helix 7 models

No, had mine for two years now and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk