PDA

View Full Version : Quick Overnighter to Northern B.C. for Lakers

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 08:11 AM
I just finished two weeks of holidays. The first week was spent in the Okanagan bedridden after tweaking my back the day after arriving. The second week was spent dealing with a toothache that wound up with an extraction completed under general anesthetic last Thursday, turning two weeks of holidays into a long weekend basically. I did managed to salvage something with an overnight trip to Williston Lake for Friday and part of Saturday. We managed 30 or so lakers, mostly in the 10-15lb range. Kept one slightly smaller to eat for the first time....tasty. :happy0180:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-bHgHjMm/0/9a128c68/X3/IMG_1672-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-ZZRQP8R/0/39e5623c/X3/IMG_1668-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-dkKnvPw/0/148f3908/X3/IMG_1757-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-tMxt2P4/0/87840832/X3/IMG_1703-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-cGHMMrm/0/7642f8e6/X3/IMG_1704-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-p2mF4XZ/0/3f15e55c/X3/IMG_1685-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Open-Water-2022/i-r2vLP63/0/c941e5f7/X3/IMG_1719-X3.jpg

WayneChristie
07-20-2022, 08:33 AM
sucks for the general holiday but it looks like you managed to salvage some anyways, such beautiful country!

58thecat
07-20-2022, 09:19 AM
Sometimes you gotta go through hell to get to heaven!

You got some real beauties there, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twisted Canuck
07-20-2022, 09:27 AM
Well, other then the back issues and toothache/extraction, it sounds like a great bit of fishing Dean! Nice looking Lakers you got. And they are tasty, I cooked my last one up last night for my brother in law. A day fishing with your son is always a good day too!

Outbound
07-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Looks like a great day on the water. I really need to get a boat capable of fishing Williston.

rangersx
07-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Wow!! We don't need a rolex watch to have a good time.. This is indeed a good time. :happy0180::happy0180:

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 12:11 PM
The area truly is God's Country. And despite a local complaining at the boat launch on Friday that there are too many jet boats on the lake now, we rarely come across anyone else other than to see people passing by heading deep into the mountains to camp/fish for the weekend.

If anyone from the area wants to try Williston or Dinosaur, shoot me a PM. I don't get out as often as I'd like, but you can day trip it from GP if you leave early enough.

Twisted Canuck
07-20-2022, 12:27 PM
Well, if you are ever looking for a body to fill a seat Dean....:)

Outbound
07-20-2022, 01:01 PM
The area truly is God's Country. And despite a local complaining at the boat launch on Friday that there are too many jet boats on the lake now, we rarely come across anyone else other than to see people passing by heading deep into the mountains to camp/fish for the weekend.

If anyone from the area wants to try Williston or Dinosaur, shoot me a PM. I don't get out as often as I'd like, but you can day trip it from GP if you leave early enough.

If a guy wanted launch a boat to fish and bush camp along shore somewhere, is there a safe place to leave a truck and trailer where they won't get vandalized or stolen?

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 02:28 PM
Well, if you are ever looking for a body to fill a seat Dean....:)

I'm busy with landscaping at the lake, as Vaila wants to have her wedding reception there next Summer. As soon as I can get away for a day or two on a weekend, I'll shoot you a PM. I think you'll find the area compares favorably with your recent NWT trip, without the travel.

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 02:39 PM
If a guy wanted launch a boat to fish and bush camp along shore somewhere, is there a safe place to leave a truck and trailer where they won't get vandalized or stolen?

There are two boat launches you can use from Hudson's Hope to fish the Peace Arm of Williston Lake. The first and closest is the Elizabeth Creek Boat Launch just across the Dam (yes, after clearing security, you can literally drive across the top of the Bennett Dam). The second is the Dunlevy Boat Launch along the north shore near Butler Ridge Provincial Park. We normally use Dunlevy as it saves time travelling down the lake by boat. Also, the Elizabeth Creek Boat Launch is probably the most difficult launch I have ever seen because of it's steepness and proximity to very large rough hewn boulders.

There have certainly been reports of vandalism at both launches over the years, and some people recommend leaving a case of beer in the box to appease the locals. We have been fortunate so far and never had any issues. If you frequent the lake, I'd get a membership to the yacht club which has a nice sheltered boat launch, gated access, and a caretaker on site all boating season. They also sell gas there, whether you are a member or not.

Dinosaur Lake has a better launch, more secure parking (as the campground is right next to it), and is paved almost to the launch. There are big fish in Dinosaur, but the fishing is much slower there unless you catch the once-a-decade opening of the spillway when all He!! breaks loose in the canyon below the dam.

Twisted Canuck
07-20-2022, 02:50 PM
I'm busy with landscaping at the lake, as Vaila wants to have her wedding reception there next Summer. As soon as I can get away for a day or two on a weekend, I'll shoot you a PM. I think you'll find the area compares favorably with your recent NWT trip, without the travel.

Sounds great! Have rod, will travel! :)

I didn't know Vaila was getting married, exciting!

Rock Doctor
07-20-2022, 03:40 PM
Wow, some really nice Lakers you guys caught:)

RD

Outbound
07-20-2022, 03:50 PM
There are two boat launches you can use from Hudson's Hope to fish the Peace Arm of Williston Lake. The first and closest is the Elizabeth Creek Boat Launch just across the Dam (yes, after clearing security, you can literally drive across the top of the Bennett Dam). The second is the Dunlevy Boat Launch along the north shore near Butler Ridge Provincial Park. We normally use Dunlevy as it saves time travelling down the lake by boat. Also, the Elizabeth Creek Boat Launch is probably the most difficult launch I have ever seen because of it's steepness and proximity to very large rough hewn boulders.

There have certainly been reports of vandalism at both launches over the years, and some people recommend leaving a case of beer in the box to appease the locals. We have been fortunate so far and never had any issues. If you frequent the lake, I'd get a membership to the yacht club which has a nice sheltered boat launch, gated access, and a caretaker on site all boating season. They also sell gas there, whether you are a member or not.

Dinosaur Lake has a better launch, more secure parking (as the campground is right next to it), and is paved almost to the launch. There are big fish in Dinosaur, but the fishing is much slower there unless you catch the once-a-decade opening of the spillway when all He!! breaks loose in the canyon below the dam.

Thanks for the info. Once we get a bigger boat, I'll look into it. I have no problem paying for a membership at the yacht club if it's reasonable. Living in GP with a decent schedule, I can see my family making Williston a regular haunt as long as we can camp for a couple days on the lake without worrying about our Alberta plated truck back at the launch.

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 03:57 PM
Wow, some really nice Lakers you guys caught:)

RD

TBH, that's kinda small for Williston...should had some over 20lbs with the number we caught. But who can complain catching 10-15 lb'ers all trip? We maybe had two at 8lbs and the rest were all similar in weight, although they varied lots in length.

AlbertanGP
07-20-2022, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Once we get a bigger boat, I'll look into it. I have no problem paying for a membership at the yacht club if it's reasonable. Living in GP with a decent schedule, I can see my family making Williston a regular haunt as long as we can camp for a couple days on the lake without worrying about our Alberta plated truck back at the launch.

There is a small area at the yacht club down below by the dock where you can camp if you don't have a lot there. There are many, many beautiful spots to camp on the lake. And I'm not sure if the Alberta plate makes a difference up there. Northeast B.C. is infinitely more like Alberta than southern B.C. No one up there is going to tell you to go home in my experience. They get it.

Outbound
07-20-2022, 04:09 PM
There is a small area at the yacht club down below by the dock where you can camp if you don't have a lot there. There are many, many beautiful spots to camp on the lake. And I'm not sure if the Alberta plate makes a difference up there. Northeast B.C. is infinitely more like Alberta than southern B.C. No one up there is going to tell you to go home in my experience. They get it.

Love to hear it. I'll have to take the family for a weekend drive and check it out.

roper1
07-20-2022, 08:07 PM
That is a cool drive across the top of the dam. Looking down on the spillway makes a guy feel a bit humble. Glad the holiday finished off with a lake & some fish. Having family along makes it better yet!!!

SNAPFisher
07-20-2022, 08:25 PM
Imagine if you had the entire time fishing....
You guys did well! Great pics . Congrats.

tirebob
07-21-2022, 09:17 AM
Now that is success!! Good for you all!

Kokaneeranger
07-22-2022, 07:07 AM
Gotta get up there one day! It looks beautiful

SamSteele
07-22-2022, 08:02 AM
Great fishing and great scenery. Hard to beat that!

fish99
07-22-2022, 09:54 AM
amazing average size lakers