PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

jungleboy
07-21-2022, 09:56 PM
What are you guys using for leaders. I currently tie my own from 50# PLine fluorocarbon and it works fine but tying it to braid can be a bit of a pain. I can tie a loop in the end and connect with a swivel but then it won’t feed into my rod guides. It’s just plainly a thick line to deal with when the main line is so thin.

I was thinking of just going down to say a 15 or 20# fluoro but not sure how that will hold up after a few pike .

I am just fishing local lakes here where a happy day is to hook a pike Ofer 60cm .

mlee
07-21-2022, 10:24 PM
If I'm trolling....its a 24" 80lb fluoro leader with 150lb staylock snaps and swivels.
If I'm casting its 36-48" 50lb fluoro direct tied to 50lb braid using a double uni with the braid end doubled back on itself. I then run a 150lb snap swivel on the end. Trim it up as required.

horpensky
07-22-2022, 12:57 AM
I also mostly target local lakes mostly for walleye and ~63 cm pike.

Tried the steel leaders and hate how they fall apart and kink so quickly, and seem to negatively affect bite rate a little vs clear leader.

Tried the titanium leaders and like how supple they are, but they're pricy, find the hardware on the ends cheap (had multiple snaps they come with break off), and also seem to negatively affect bite rate a little vs clear leader.

Seemed to have settled on 30lb fluoro leader tied directly to braid using an FG knot. Nice slim knot that passes through the guides pretty easily, very strong (if done correctly), and while not the fastest knot, has become pretty easy to tie after some practice. 30lb seems to be the sweet spot between tough enough to withstand quite a few pike bites before needing to be changed out vs. thickness + difficulty in tying. I find 20lb gets beaten up too quickly and I've lost the occasional lure, whereas I rarely break off on 30lb before I notice it needing changing.

These guys did a bunch of videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7e2_AyOsyU) that made me think about just using plain old cheap mono for leader material instead of spending the extra on fluoro. Once I run out of my spools of fluoro, I may just give it a try.

Smoky buck
07-22-2022, 01:37 AM
I use 40lbs fluorocarbon a swivel and a locking snap. After loosing a possible PB pike do to a worn leader failing I am going to go a little heavier

There is also plenty of pike over 60cm in your local lakes too

jungleboy
07-22-2022, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess I will stick with the 50lb fluoro. I’ll give the fg knot a try.

fish99
07-22-2022, 09:53 AM
I use fire line in 20lb test for leader. tough stuff and pike don't seem to bite thru it.

EZM
07-22-2022, 09:53 AM
If there's a cheap little jig on the end of the line (and I'm targeting walleye in pike infested waters) it's a 15 or 20 lb fluoro leader for me. I loose a few jigs. Not a big deal.

If I'm trolling my big expensive musky cranks targeting pike - it's an 80lb leader. I have caught hundreds of pike on the same leader and never had a bite off.

I also use 40lb fluorocarbon for casting lighter lures.

Quigley2000
07-22-2022, 10:52 AM
For larger pike I like 80 or 130lb test since they can really scuff up a leader. One time I tried using 30lb on my fly rod because it was already on, and managed my pb at the time because it was hooked perfectly in the corner, but on the fish it cut through the leader as clean as a knife. Now I’ll use 80 on the fly rod and haven’t had break offs. That said, for local lakes I like 20 or 30lb. No crimps necessary so making leaders is simpler and you can still tie it easily

EZM
07-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Also - worth noting - the small dinky acrobatic pike are the ones with the little mouth full of razors that really tear up leaders. The big ones don't seem to be as tough on leaders.

Smoky buck
07-22-2022, 12:51 PM
Also - worth noting - the small dinky acrobatic pike are the ones with the little mouth full of razors that really tear up leaders. The big ones don't seem to be as tough on leaders.

I agree the only fluorocarbon leader failure was not because of the big pike that it failed on but instead the countless smaller pike I caught that day before hand

It’s definitely worth checking your leader after every fish

jungleboy
07-22-2022, 01:34 PM
My only objection to the 50lb fluoro leader was the knot. I was using a double uni knot at it was quite bulky. Now that See the fg knot this changes everything.

EZM
07-22-2022, 10:55 PM
My only objection to the 50lb fluoro leader was the knot. I was using a double uni knot at it was quite bulky. Now that See the fg knot this changes everything.

I use a simple Palomar knot onto to my swivels and swivel snaps for my leaders for big heavy 40, 50 and 80lb fluorocarbon leaders. It's rock solid and have never had a knot fail.

I run the tag end long, tighten the tag end (the end you trim off) with pliers and give the wet leader a good pull. The leader itself I don't use pliers but give it a good pull and that knot snugs up nicely.

Other knots, particularly using the heavier leader are really bulky and harder to snug up.

One thing I have mentioned on a few threads - that some other people reading this thread might not be aware of ..... is there is a difference between fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader.

If the package does not say "leader" it's the wrong stuff. Leader is much more cut and abrasion resistant (much better for toothy critters) but is a bit stiffer. It also costs more - but then again, you are only using a couple feet at a time a 50yd roll lasts you a long time.

58thecat
07-23-2022, 07:59 AM
I agree the only fluorocarbon leader failure was not because of the big pike that it failed on but instead the countless smaller pike I caught that day before hand

It’s definitely worth checking your leader after every fish

This all day long, check your leader, line, knots etc if not well it’s gonna fail ya!

Now as for leaders I don’t see a reason to have the knot or swivel to come through the eyes of your rod, a 12-18” leader is all you need.....seems some have like 4’ of leader?

I still use wire leaders too but occasionally will switch it to flouro.

stein
07-23-2022, 08:16 AM
FG knot and 50lb all day long :sHa_shakeshout:

jungleboy
07-23-2022, 11:27 AM
I use a simple Palomar knot onto to my swivels and swivel snaps for my leaders for big heavy 40, 50 and 80lb fluorocarbon leaders. It's rock solid and have never had a knot fail.

I run the tag end long, tighten the tag end (the end you trim off) with pliers and give the wet leader a good pull. The leader itself I don't use pliers but give it a good pull and that knot snugs up nicely.

Other knots, particularly using the heavier leader are really bulky and harder to snug up.

One thing I have mentioned on a few threads - that some other people reading this thread might not be aware of ..... is there is a difference between fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader.

If the package does not say "leader" it's the wrong stuff. Leader is much more cut and abrasion resistant (much better for toothy critters) but is a bit stiffer. It also costs more - but then again, you are only using a couple feet at a time a 50yd roll lasts you a long time.

Interestingly I watched a YouTuber do an abrasion test on fluoro leader vs Line and it was pretty much a tie between the two. He was testing Seagaur line so it may not apply to all lines. I have been using p line fluoro line as leader and never had an issue.

catnthehat
07-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Many years agoI eas speaking with a Scientific Anglers rep about Fly lines and our conversation morphed into leaders and specific Flies for big 0 pike.
I found it interesting that both of us had steered away from the huge Dalhberg style flies and used shorter streamers, and both used straight 40 pound Mason Mono for leader!.
It turns a fly over well, and is very cut resistant .

When spinning for walleye I rarely use a steel leader, I do have fireside on my spinning reels and Gorrila Braid IIRC on my bait casters .
Cat