PDA

View Full Version : Columbia and Windermere Lakes

dr.crentist
08-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Just wondering if it is worth hauling the boat out, first time owner, to the Kootenay Valley later this month.

Wondering about fishing and/or how busy it may be on Colombia and Windermere for hanging out and some tubing with the family? I'm familiar with the areas but not on the water.

I want to take it, wife doesn't want the extra hassle as we're not even familiar with the launches and such.

Any information or input would be welcomed and helpful.

Thanks in advance

SouthWestRanger
08-13-2022, 01:13 PM
Windermere is a damn busy lake. Columbia less so usually.

dr.crentist
08-13-2022, 01:20 PM
Yea, I've spent time on Columbia and I agree. Windermere would depend of how the day looks. We rented a place on Columbia with a private launch a few years ago but this time just staying in Fairmont so I think I'd have to go to Canal Flats to get it in the water. Not even sure how the launches work at Windermere.

haggis57
08-14-2022, 12:07 AM
From this map, is looks like there are only two public boat launches on Windermere.
http://www.sgrc.selkirk.ca/cbt/cbwn/2019_lakewindermere/PublicAccessPoints8.5x11.pdf

slamilton
08-15-2022, 03:58 PM
We went to Columbia and boat launch was a gong show and I believe they charged but I had inflatable so didnt have to deal with it. Caught tonnes of Pike Minnow but nothing else. Didnt find much water deeper than 10-15ft but didnt explore too far.

dr.crentist
08-15-2022, 10:15 PM
I don't think I'm taking the boat on holidays with us this year. Seems like a wasted opportunity but I'm so new to it and the lakes where we are going are so busy I should probably keep this season close to home and gain some experience. We do enough things to keep us occupied there without a boat.

I'll still do some fly fishing in the streams around the area.