PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert or Port Hardy?

BEL
08-18-2022, 04:42 PM
We are looking at salmon fishing next July at either Prince Rupert or Port Hardy. I am leaning towards Serengeti but others in my group figure Prince Rupert. I know there have been many fishers on this board who have fished both locals and would like their opinions. Fish numbers, fish variety, guides, accommodations, getting there, etc. Thanks very much for your info. BEL

Positrac
08-18-2022, 06:36 PM
You’ll come back with a boatload of meat and have a great time if you go with Serengeti out of Hardy. I truly believe some of the best all-around fishing on the coast is out of Hardy.

We’ve got a plan for a trip on the Winter Harbour side of the north end of the Island booked for 2023.

HL_transplant
08-18-2022, 08:51 PM
We are looking at salmon fishing next July at either Prince Rupert or Port Hardy. I am leaning towards Serengeti but others in my group figure Prince Rupert. I know there have been many fishers on this board who have fished both locals and would like their opinions. Fish numbers, fish variety, guides, accommodations, getting there, etc. Thanks very much for your info. BEL

Have fished both. July is usually closed now for Chinook retention in Rupert. Opened Aug 1st thus year. I like Rupert more from a travel aspect as it's a relatively easy drive. Bottom fishing is excellent in both places I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

MooseRiverTrapper
08-19-2022, 10:51 AM
Hardy. Sarengetti. Bring home a couple hundred pounds of fish.

Supermag
08-19-2022, 11:08 AM
I have been on several salmon charters, and the only one that absolutely impressed me was Serengetti.

They bust their asses and don't quit until everyone has their fish. I would go there every year if I could afford it!

HL_transplant
08-19-2022, 12:21 PM
I have been on several salmon charters, and the only one that absolutely impressed me was Serengetti.

They bust their asses and don't quit until everyone has their fish. I would go there every year if I could afford it!

I agree they go the extra mile, that being said we've always brought home just as much fish when we've gone to Rupert..

Mike_W
08-20-2022, 08:39 AM
I fished Hardy for 15 years and only recently I've started fishing out of Rupert the main reason is the ferry, when towing a boat that was an additional $400 each way and in general a bit of a hassle. We have started fishing Rupert two years ago and while I feel the lingcod and chinook fishing isn't as good as Hardy the coho retention makes up for it as you can bring home all 8 of your salmon as coho the halibut fishing is pretty close in both areas but the crabbing and prawning are far better in Rupert. The towns themselves are different I prefer Hardy where they seem better geared for sport fishermen and Prince Rupert is more geared toward commercial but Rupert has more shops and services.

That said for a guided spoil yourself trip I would book with Serengeti especially if retaining Chinook is important to you.

Positrac
08-20-2022, 10:24 AM
I fished Hardy for 15 years and only recently I've started fishing out of Rupert the main reason is the ferry, when towing a boat that was an additional $400 each way and in general a bit of a hassle. We have started fishing Rupert two years ago and while I feel the lingcod and chinook fishing isn't as good as Hardy the coho retention makes up for it as you can bring home all 8 of your salmon as coho the halibut fishing is pretty close in both areas but the crabbing and prawning are far better in Rupert. The towns themselves are different I prefer Hardy where they seem better geared for sport fishermen and Prince Rupert is more geared toward commercial but Rupert has more shops and services.

That said for a guided spoil yourself trip I would book with Serengeti especially if retaining Chinook is important to you.

I think this is a very fair assessment.

As was also mentioned in a previous post and here again getting to Port Hardy is a PITA compared to Prince Rupert.

58thecat
08-21-2022, 07:28 AM
I just got back from the island, sure they have reservations but man there was ferry cancelations, delays, etc still managed but if I had a choice I would eliminate the cost and possible ferry mishaps.
Or go in September after the vacationers are back to work/school.
Good luck to the OP your gonna have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HL_transplant
08-21-2022, 01:24 PM
If considering Rupert and want bottom fish I would only suggest a handful of charters, as many will just take to community chicken spots up by the Work Channel or Dundas. There are certain charters who will burn the fuel to get into the prime ling areas. How many days are you considering fishing?

BEL
08-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Three days of fishing. BEL

HL_transplant
08-21-2022, 04:20 PM
If you end up choosing Rupert PM me. I'll recommend some guys. You basically need to book a year in advance with guys that are in demand. If taking home a lot Salmon is a priority I would go around the middle of August as the Northern Coho are usually heavy by then. Right now they are coming in and the weather has been unbelievable.

Serengeti Charters
08-22-2022, 12:53 AM
Love to have you out, whatever you choose feel free to DM me as I know charters in Rupert as well. Be sure to book there when Chinook is open if you choose that route though, they're getting ripped off on Chinook retention (sport fishing has relatively no impact on returns so it is BS, but we don't make the rules). Any questions let me know, insanely busy year for us so I have been sub par on reports, plus without some weird paywall or something finding easy, efficient websites to host pictures seems tougher these days.

Chinook this year was slower than normal for half of July, but as usual insane in June and half of July. August so far has been decent, with limits for groups of 2 and 3 and the best Coho year since end of June I've ever seen...limits in first hour most days...they're almost annoying as harder to get to Chinook which where we are we haven't seen in July for many years. Its awesome but also annoying :lol: Halibut, lingcod, rockfish, usual great fishing for vast majority of year.

Anyway, know youd have a great trip, many amazing spots on the coast but comparing these two, despite my bias, I'd go hardy in a second due to chinook retention anytime of the season.

Positrac
08-23-2022, 05:33 AM
Any questions let me know, insanely busy year for us so I have been sub par on reports, plus without some weird paywall or something finding easy, efficient websites to host pictures seems tougher these days.

I get you being too busy to post pics and keep reports up. I never guided full time but I would take all my vacation time and whatever else I could get to guide peak season overflow for a friend who had a lodge in Nootka. That was about a 6 week stretch max each summer and by the end of it I was done both physically and mentally.

But actually posting pics is easy. Here’s some instructions I put together for using PostImage in another thread. Finding some time though I can understand being the hard part…

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=412915

WinefredCommander
08-23-2022, 06:31 AM
Rupert is dead. Hardy is where it’s at.

Simba001
09-29-2022, 10:24 AM
Rupert is a good place to launch from but not too many decent accommodation options. Hotels are mostly run down and in need of some serious TLC. If you go in July/ August, Book at least a year in advance for your charter and accommodations. Options run out pretty quickly the closer you get. Went out in mid august. 30 boats went out that morning and everyone came back with full limits.

BEL
10-02-2022, 06:22 PM
I have been trying to get call backs from a couple of charters but no replies. Keep trying, I guess. BEL

surhuntsalot
12-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Rupert is dead. Hardy is where it’s at.

Sounds like you either don’t know the right guys in Rupert, or haven’t been there… Had a fantastic season last summer…. And the summer before…And the summer before… And…. Well you get the picture…

Bearski
12-02-2022, 09:09 AM
Retention regulations. Some areas open much later in the summer than others, certainly for salmon.

barbless
12-04-2022, 12:05 PM
4 of us went to Rupert a few years ago. Hired a guide and what a blast. Slept on the boat tide up in a cove somewhere. About 45 min ride from the dock. First fish at 6:20 am 50 lb Chinook. We all got our TYEE pins in 3 days. Brought back over 400 lbs of fish. Chinook limit, Coho limit, Cod and Halibut limit. Coolers were full of fish. Would love to do it again. Would consider Serengeti next time. I hear and read good things about them. Just getting there is the concern. We drove to Rupert, 4 drivers and two hours each. We also stopped in Smithers for the night as planned to break up the drive. We went on the 20th of June. They said it was the highest tide at the time

HL_transplant
12-04-2022, 12:08 PM
4 of us went to Rupert a few years ago. Hired a guide and what a blast. Slept on the boat tide up in a cove somewhere. About 45 min ride from the dock. First fish at 6:20 am 50 lb Chinook. We all got our TYEE pins in 3 days. Brought back over 400 lbs of fish. Chinook limit, Coho limit, Cod and Halibut limit. Coolers were full of fish. Would love to do it again. Would consider Serengeti next time. I hear and read good things about them. Just getting there is the concern. We drove to Rupert, 4 drivers and two hours each. We also stopped in Smithers for the night as planned to break up the drive. We went on the 20th of June. They said it was the highest tide at the time

Chinook will be closed for retention that time of year now for the foreseeable future. This year the closure was June 15 to Aug 1.

barbless
12-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Chinook will be closed for retention that time of year now for the foreseeable future. This year the closure was June 15 to Aug 1.

Guess we went at a good time and year. The price per pound of fish has gone up a lot for sure.

Esox
12-05-2022, 04:53 PM

Here is a rupert secret. We actually fish out there on may long weekend and do awesome on springs (and everything else). Always end up with our limit (not our goal but a nice bonus) of 15-20 pound fish (we release anything over 20ish pounds). We have always had nice weather and the biggest bonus is that we see far less boats.

HL_transplant
12-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Yep. I live here so May is always a good time lol.

thumper
12-05-2022, 10:19 PM
Here is a rupert secret. We actually fish out there on may long weekend and do awesome on springs (and everything else). Always end up with our limit (not our goal but a nice bonus) of 15-20 pound fish (we release anything over 20ish pounds). We have always had nice weather and the biggest bonus is that we see far less boats.

Any coho around in May? I'm looking at sometime in the last 10 days of May.

HL_transplant
12-05-2022, 10:23 PM
No coho in May. Mid June they start showing up.

thumper
12-07-2022, 12:49 PM
No coho in May. Mid June they start showing up.

Thx HL. So it looks like you can keep either chinook (before June 15th - early in the season), or coho (late June - later in the season) - but not keep a combination of both at the same time in Rupert.

HL_transplant
12-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Thx HL. So it looks like you can keep either chinook (before June 15th - early in the season), or coho (late June - later in the season) - but not keep a combination of both at the same time in Rupert.

The closures change every year. If keeping chinook is your goal the end of May is probably a safe bet. Past Aug 1 is prime time for Coho. But you can usually get a few Chinooks as well. But you can keep a combination of 8 salmon in possession. (4 per per day, with chinooks being either 1 or 2 per day depending on the regs.)