PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair accessible fishing

MrMister12
08-22-2022, 05:33 AM
Good morning everyone. I’ve had a rough year and have had amazing support for the community here before. I was hoping maybe someone might have a suggestion for somewhere to go fishing with a wheelchair.

Last summer I was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma and have been going through a roller coaster of chemo and procedures and most recently a major surgery. I’m still going through chemo and am still a long way from recovery, so my energy comes and goes. But the last year of being cooped up is really starting to wear on me. I worked on farm before this started, so I’ve always been busy in the summer, but I go for a yearly 10 day fishing trip to Grande Cache that I had to miss this year. Watching summer go by while recovering has been driving me crazy. I need to get out! I live on a farm east of Edmonton, if anyone happens to have a suggestion for somewhere within a few hours drive that is fairly accessible would be amazing. I can somewhat walk with crutches or a walker, but ultimately wheelchair accessible would be best. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for any suggestions. I hope you all had a great weekend!

-JR-
08-22-2022, 07:07 AM
Only place comes to my mind ,might be is Carson Lake just past White Court .
They have board walk along the shore line ,might be hard getting to it as there are steps ,but might be able to get to it from the boat launch.
Maybe someone else can confirm if they have a wheel chair ramp .
Next I would try Hermitage in Edmonton for trout , I have have drove my pedal bike to the water edge . they say by the boat launch is the best spot for fishing in the am .

-JR-
08-22-2022, 07:51 AM
If you want to fish just off of a pier , I would go to Wabamun Lake in town .
The whole parking lot is paved all the way to the pier that is rubber coated .

scesfiremedic
08-22-2022, 12:48 PM
Saw this company on Global News, maybe they can take you out
https://www.accessiblewaters.org

MrMister12
08-22-2022, 09:52 PM
Thank you, I’ll Have to check them out next week. It will be nice to get out for a while.

lmtada
08-23-2022, 06:33 PM
I might suggest Fort Saskatchewan fish pond. Trout ( stocked 1000 brown in May). Accessible by wheel chair, then wheel to the pier on the east side. Cast from there. Float, worm….. Cancer nasty disease. Wife fighting stage 4 kidney cancer ( Immunetherapy), having excellent results. Enjoy the area, right next to Boat launch onto North Saskatchewan River. Good luck. 👍

MrMister12
08-23-2022, 06:46 PM
Thank you very much. Sorry to hear about your wife. It is a nasty disease. I’m glad she is having good results with the immunotherapy. My chemotherapy has been working well. What was removed during the surgery as 85% dead but they had to remove a lot of muscle. I just had my chemo last week and it knocks me down for a few days, so hopefully I can get out and do some fishing and exploring over the next couple weeks.

mlee
08-23-2022, 07:15 PM
Dried meat lake east of camrose has a few real nice and big docks....can catch snot rocket pike all day long from the docks there.

I'll add....you can drive right up to most of the docks.

Grizzly Adams1
08-23-2022, 09:33 PM
Name escapes me at the moment, but there is a pond near Kananaskis Village set up for wheel chair fishing.

Grizz

CardiacCowboy
08-24-2022, 05:23 PM
Name escapes me at the moment, but there is a pond near Kananaskis Village set up for wheel chair fishing.

Grizz

Mount lorette ponds. Check stocking reports they don't last long.

-JR-
08-26-2022, 06:21 AM
Mount lorette ponds. Check stocking reports they don't last long.

They stock it every second week .