PDA

View Full Version : Pieroway Rods

DarkAisling
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have an experience with Pieroway Rods?

http://pierowayrods.com/

I purchased a 8.5' 5wt off him today. Fabulous guy! Super friendly, very helpful, I really can't say enough good things about him. He even spooled up a reel that I purchased off of "fishpro" today for free (seriously, dude didn't even charge me for the line!). He showed me how to change the retrieve on the reel, as well. In addition to that, he practically gave me the rod . . . I'm pretty sure that he didn't even break even on the materials.

The rod I purchased off him was constructed a couple of years ago using a test blank that he decided not to use in the end. He decided to go with a four-piece instead of a three-piece, which is what I bought off him, as he preferred the way the four-piece broke down.

This rod is very nicely made. The reel seat is gorgeous. The cork is still wrapped in plastic. It's a moderate-action, and is an IM8 graphite fly rod. He apologized for the rod having a poorly stamped logo and for the length and weight info being written in silver marker.

I simply can not wait to try this rod out. I think he's landed himself a customer for life in me (which is just as well, since he certainly didn't profit off of me today).

I'd love to know if any of you have tried out his rods, and what you think.

notagoodtroutfisher
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
i sent you a pm. But just so everyone else can see this.. I have a pieroway rod/reel. An aweome setup. He was great to deal with, no complaints at all. He is going to get my business (and my friends) for the rest of my purchases. Very high quality items

notagoodtroutfisher
09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
If you are interested in new gear go to www.pierowayrods.com

DarkAisling
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I should clearly state that the rod I bought was a tester, and wasn't for retail sale. His retail rods are very nicely inscribed with the company logo, the weight, and the length.

WayneChristie
09-15-2009, 09:29 PM
techno junkie :D

notagoodtroutfisher
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
techno junkie :D

?????????

DarkAisling
09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
I think Wayne is referring to the way I acquire things :)

Yes, I am a techno junkie. You have NO idea how bad it actually is. :lol:

Unfortunately, my experience dealing with Geoff Pieroway means I'm going to be forced to buy more stuff from him. ;) Can't really see myself buying another brand of flyrod from here on out.

DarkAisling
09-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I had Pieroway rod seriously checked out tonight by a "Master Caster," and she thought it was a fabulous rod :)

G. Pieroway
11-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello All,
I just wanted to take some time out here to thank everyone for your kind words and for waving my flag this summer. we've been working hard for many years now to put together a great line of blanks and components that we mill for fly fishermen and women like yourselves. As many of you know, I spend a great deal of time on my wood lathe, covered in cork dust and wood chips and perhaps I don't spend enough time on the forums to be more vocal and visible. Perhaps we are too quiet of a fly rod company. Certainly we spend very little on marketing so your words resonate massively and add fuel to our cause. Now that winter is setting in and my inventory of finished rods is once again on the rise i am able to get my head up to chat with some of you one-on-one to get valuable feedback. I love reading your PMs and emails and seeing the wonderful pictures that you have taken with the rods far and wide. The rods are like those little gnomes that end up in pictures with the oddest/most beautiful spots. I wish i was my fly rod so i could be there instead. Of course, that's not the way it goes...as rod builders are cursed/blessed to the workbench. Nevertheless, I'll be sure to get the pictures up on the site and facebook page for everyone to see. It's those pictures and hearing about your experiences that keep me at this craft year after year. This summer, things got super busy at pierowayrods and the lathe was humming full tilt and at first i couldn't figure it out. Now I know it's because of people like you. I thank you deeply for your continuing support. Please call any time. I love to hear from from the field.

Geoff Pieroway :)

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead

tonyflyfish
11-14-2009, 11:16 PM
OK so I sent an email off to Geoff. What other Canadian fly rod companies can we support?
I like to collect fly rods but not necessarily the most expensive from the big players. I am thinking small operations here in the west.
t

mistamikel
11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I think I was talking to him a few months ago about getting a new rod and getting a new grip on my current rod, any ways long story short I got real tight on cash (daughters first year in school so mom and I went all out on clothes and supplies) and told him my situation and he told me he would do it at no charge. I didnt feel right about getting something for nothing so I declined and told him when I had expendable cash I would get a new rod from him. If it was Geoff (which I am 95% sure it was) just from talking to him I could tell he was a great person and has my business for sure.

tonyflyfish
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Now he is making one for me. Cool! I like to support local business and although I am in St Albert Calgary is local.

t

notagoodtroutfisher
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
It will be your new favourite rod

ghostguy6
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Now he is making one for me. Cool! I like to support local business and although I am in St Albert Calgary is local.

t

I just got my rod from Geoff, you wont be disapointed:)

notagoodtroutfisher
11-17-2009, 07:44 AM
this past sunday, i was fishing just up stream of the glenmore bridge. There were a couple guys fishin together and we got to talkin. I let one of them try my pieroway rod and I used his Sage z-axis 9' 6wt.
I think he is going to be ordering one too.....haha
Oh by the way, I'm not knocking Sage cuz I like the rod alot. If I could afford it, I would have ordered one long ago