PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder Opinions/Reviews

bradvtown
08-29-2022, 10:44 AM
Looking for some input on what to buy for a new fish finder. Something with GPS capabilities, ability to upload maps, use for ice fishing and anything else I should be interested in?

1 option I'd checked out is the Garmin Striker Vivd 7. Kinda like the ability to Quickdraw somewhere I've been without having to buy a map card.

What do you guys recommend or have had experience with? Anything to avoid or not worth the money. Something in the $500-700 range. No hurry on purchasing right away, probably something I'll look to find on sale this fall/winter.

EZM
08-29-2022, 12:04 PM
Looking for some input on what to buy for a new fish finder. Something with GPS capabilities, ability to upload maps, use for ice fishing and anything else I should be interested in?

1 option I'd checked out is the Garmin Striker Vivd 7. Kinda like the ability to Quickdraw somewhere I've been without having to buy a map card.

What do you guys recommend or have had experience with? Anything to avoid or not worth the money. Something in the $500-700 range. No hurry on purchasing right away, probably something I'll look to find on sale this fall/winter.

Good news is you have some decent options at that price point. I know the Humminbird Helix series units are both great for ice fishing use and have the ability to do live mapping for you and right onto your unit with the touch if a button and no hassle. The ice fishing "kits" for them are also pretty reasonable in price and people seem to be very happy with them.

As far as Lowrance is concerned, they have comparable units, also have some great options and similar features - so it boils down to what unit you like best.

The other thing to consider is expandability - if you ever want to tie (network) your trolling motors, downriggers, live imaging and 3d, talons, auto pilots - you may want to opt for a compatible head unit so you can do all that.

Given the fact that all units on the market now are pretty darn close in features for the price - the "one boat" network in my boat uses and has my Humminbird head units talking to, steering, and recording from my MinnKotta electric trolling motor, and the ability to run my Cannon downriggers all from the head units - so just decide which brand (and compatibility) is right for you - assuming that's a consideration for you.

old dog
08-29-2022, 04:36 PM
Check out a 9”Lowrance elite FS.

58thecat
08-29-2022, 05:08 PM
Good news is you have some decent options at that price point. I know the Humminbird Helix series units are both great for ice fishing use and have the ability to do live mapping for you and right onto your unit with the touch if a button and no hassle. The ice fishing "kits" for them are also pretty reasonable in price and people seem to be very happy with them.

As far as Lowrance is concerned, they have comparable units, also have some great options and similar features - so it boils down to what unit you like best.

The other thing to consider is expandability - if you ever want to tie (network) your trolling motors, downriggers, live imaging and 3d, talons, auto pilots - you may want to opt for a compatible head unit so you can do all that.

Given the fact that all units on the market now are pretty darn close in features for the price - the "one boat" network in my boat uses and has my Humminbird head units talking to, steering, and recording from my MinnKotta electric trolling motor, and the ability to run my Cannon downriggers all from the head units - so just decide which brand (and compatibility) is right for you - assuming that's a consideration for you.

Dam EZM I would need an IT guy on speed dial if I ran your boat.
[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
08-29-2022, 06:04 PM
Dam EZM I would need an IT guy on speed dial if I ran your boat.
[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just keep mashing random buttons until stuff works - then I can't remember what I did to make it work.:)

I like cool blinking bells and whistles - I am easy to amuse

fordtruckin
08-29-2022, 08:39 PM
I just got a helix 10 Mega Side Imaging and down imaging for a work. I have no clue how to work most of it and the little instruction manual it came with is useless. I did figure out how to get split screens so I have my gps map DI and SI on the screen as well as water depth, temp, speed and coordinates so I’m happy for that at least. A good buddy of mine really knows how to work these sonars so I’ll have to take him out for some instruction. For me personally I would probably be fine with a helix 5 or 7 with down imaging only. Definitely go to a store and play around with the different models and see what you like and don’t like, then go from there.

mlee
08-29-2022, 08:45 PM
I have a vivid 7 ....use it all year. It's a great unit if you have no need for networking as mentioned. And for a true all season setup with side imaging you're all in at around $750. Garmins active captain app and map sharing community is awesome..... I think the best of the big 3.

calgarygringo
08-29-2022, 08:57 PM
Its not hard. Youtube is your best friend. Lots there.

I just got a helix 10 Mega Side Imaging and down imaging for a work. I have no clue how to work most of it and the little instruction manual it came with is useless. I did figure out how to get split screens so I have my gps map DI and SI on the screen as well as water depth, temp, speed and coordinates so I’m happy for that at least. A good buddy of mine really knows how to work these sonars so I’ll have to take him out for some instruction. For me personally I would probably be fine with a helix 5 or 7 with down imaging only. Definitely go to a store and play around with the different models and see what you like and don’t like, then go from there.

SamSteele
08-29-2022, 09:04 PM
If you have questions about Humminbird stuff, shoot me a PM.

SS

EZM
08-29-2022, 09:56 PM
On a serious note - most of these units are pretty darn easy to use, the manuals are easy to understand and, as mentioned YOUTUBE and the good people on here are always eager to help anyone along ..... a great thing about the forum.

Even setting up the network on your boat, and using functions for your downriggers or trolling motor are plug and play nowdays and pretty easy and intuitive to use.

Really the hardest thing for most people might be understanding what, for example, the side image is showing you. Took me a while to get my head wrapped around it - but I now find it a MASSIVE help when trolling big water and trying to find the fish in new areas. You can see a path hundreds of feet wide on my ONIX (humminbird) and it's changed the game for me.

58thecat
08-29-2022, 10:46 PM
Yup, I sat in my boat, YouTube on the iPad and fired up the helix 7, stop, back up ohhh yeah that’s how that works, rinse and repeat until the grey matter between my ears hurt but eventually got it, still learning though.

I tell the wife I got my head in the cockpit you watch out for boats trying a few new things here:)

bradvtown
08-30-2022, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I should have mentioned currently I don't have a need for networking. Can't see it happening in the future either but you never know. I've done some homework on Youtube to check out other reviews also but prefer more local advice. So far leaning towards the Vivid 7. I did play around with a few at Cabelas so have a bit of an idea.

EZM
08-30-2022, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I should have mentioned currently I don't have a need for networking. Can't see it happening in the future either but you never know. I've done some homework on Youtube to check out other reviews also but prefer more local advice. So far leaning towards the Vivid 7. I did play around with a few at Cabelas so have a bit of an idea.

If you are not planning on connecting your unit to your electric trolling motor to share transducers, use autopilot, spot lock, etc... then ANY UNIT with the features you want at the BEST bang for your buck is what to get really.

Nowdays they are all pretty darn amazing - so it's about the features you want.

Garmin makes nice units and are no less capable as a sonar GPS compared to Lowrance or the Birds.

Walleyedude
08-30-2022, 05:45 PM
My suggestion would be to scan around on the used market. Your dollar will go WAY further.

You’ll get into a mid level unit in a 7-9” screen for what you’d pay for a new entry level unit with a 5-7” screen. The difference in functionality is huge.

A Lowrance Elite TI2 or FS would be ideal, so would an older HDS Gen 3 or Carbon. All of those options will give you the latest technology- touch screens, live mapping, 2D sonar, down imaging, side imaging, etc…. Everything you need to get out on the water or ice and find/catch fish. The Elite FS and HDS Carbon will even run Active Target live sonar if you want it down the road. It’s truly a game changer for open water and ice fishing.

bradvtown
08-31-2022, 07:24 AM
Yes I'm not opposed to buying something used also. I've been checking Kijiji and Facebook marketplace for anything that pops up. As mentioned not in a huge hurry at the moment.

SamSteele
08-31-2022, 09:51 AM
Yes I'm not opposed to buying something used also. I've been checking Kijiji and Facebook marketplace for anything that pops up. As mentioned not in a huge hurry at the moment.

There are a lot of scams on various FB sonar groups, so be sure you only buy in person or use a protected payment method if you do buy used online.

Make sure the unit powers on fine, all screens and views show as it should, check the pins at the back of the unit, know the transducer that should be with it to prevent incompatibilities, ensure no transducer damage, etc. Lots of units will be great as guys are upgrading/swapping systems but some folks will try to offload a problematic unit as well so check it over well.

SS