PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Fry Oil?

dr.crentist
09-01-2022, 08:51 AM
Do any of you guys reuse canola oil after a fish fry?

I've never done it but sometimes think is would be nice to use it again, seems wasteful to dump a couple/few litres after only frying two walleye.

HL_transplant
09-01-2022, 09:13 AM
If deep frying with beer batter I'll reuse mine a few times.

Howard Hutchinson
09-01-2022, 09:22 AM
I'm sure some of the deep fried fish places reuse their oil a scary number of times. I bet you can use it until the flavor goes off?

dr.crentist
09-01-2022, 09:23 AM
If deep frying with beer batter I'll reuse mine a few times.

Yea, that's what I do. I think I'm going to strain it and put back in the same, empty, oil container. Check on it in a week.

dr.crentist
09-01-2022, 09:24 AM
I'm sure some of the deep fried fish places reuse their oil a scary number of times. I bet you can use it until the flavor goes off?

Oh, absolutely, but they're doing it day after day cooking so it is getting constant use. If I store mine for a week or two and try to use it again, will it be worse than the fish place?

Howard Hutchinson
09-01-2022, 09:41 AM
Found this, if it helps.
https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil

dr.crentist
09-01-2022, 09:56 AM
Found this, if it helps.
https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil

Thanks. Better than the site I was reading on elsewhere.

Now.., do you know how to position a fish finder transducer? Or, would you haul a pontoon boat down the highway with the cover on it?

(some of the other things I need to figure out today)

Howard Hutchinson
09-01-2022, 10:12 AM
Transducer, not sure sorry. Cover, as long as she's tight I would say you are okay.

bradvtown
09-01-2022, 10:17 AM
I re-use my oil a few times. Run it through a funnel with strainer and it's good to go. A lot of fast food places just strain there's and swap out weekly. They'd see more use than any fish fry I'll do.

Bigwoodsman
09-01-2022, 10:19 AM
Yea, that's what I do. I think I'm going to strain it and put back in the same, empty, oil container. Check on it in a week.

I usually double strain it, once through a wire sive, and again through a cheesecloth. I also store it in a fridge. Not sure why I keep it in a fridge, just seems like the right thing to do.

BW

Coiloil37
09-01-2022, 12:55 PM
The only time I want new oil in my deep fryer is for donuts. For fish, chips, calamari, onion rings, chicken wings etc I reuse and reuse and reuse. The flavour gets better with some age/seasoning. When the day finally arrives that I decide to change it… I usually go a few more weeks before I do.

Your missing the best part of deep frying if your throwing out the oil every time.

Transducer, I’ve never covered or removed mine and never had a problem but I don’t drag it on gravel.

Suburban_Dad
09-02-2022, 09:12 AM
I would say sure. If it doesnt smell rotten or discolored. Obviously only use it for more fish.

https://kitchenseer.com/reuse-oil-after-frying-fish/

HL_transplant
09-02-2022, 01:40 PM
I'll reuse 3 times. Free radicals are a real thing, it's not just about whether it tastes ok.

Outbound
09-02-2022, 02:51 PM
You guys must fry more than us. We deep fry only a couple times a year so I just throw out the oil when we're done.

SNAPFisher
09-03-2022, 06:56 AM
6 months , twice a year for me. No off flavour. I’m actually surprised someone would dump oil after a use without even trying…what a waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfarms11
09-03-2022, 09:57 AM
You can keep reusing your oil all you want as long as you don't mind the taste. However, if you are at all concerned about your health, best is to change it out as often as possible. The more/ longer you fry with it, the worse it is for your heart health.

EZM
09-06-2022, 12:00 PM
We hardly ever fry, so on the rare occasion we do, the oil is cooled off, and bagged (green food bag placed inside container until it's frozen or firm) in freezer to be discarded in food waste.

dr.crentist
09-06-2022, 12:10 PM
We hardly ever fry, so on the rare occasion we do, the oil is cooled off, and bagged (green food bag placed inside container until it's frozen or firm) in freezer to be discarded in food waste.

This is how used to do it when I was frying in smaller amounts and using less oil, 1/4"-1/2" in the pan. I'd add a newspaper to absorb some of it and put it all in a green bag and then the green bin along with grass clippings and such.

This last time I filled a small pot, it was much easier to get restaurant quality results with more oil and I'll try to reuse if possible. Seems like a shame to waste but overall we don't fry that much so the next time fish and chips are on the menu, it may not be good anymore.