PDA

View Full Version : Anchovy rig storage

lund17
09-03-2022, 07:58 PM
There a few guys on here that fish the west coast like myself.....how do you store your anchovy special rigs with the treble hooks?

I have been using small plastic bags to store 1 rig each for years but the line gets all twisted and its a pain untangling it every day.

Positrac
09-03-2022, 08:05 PM
There a few guys on here that fish the west coast like myself.....how do you store your anchovy special rigs with the treble hooks?

I have been using small plastic bags to store 1 rig each for years but the line gets all twisted and its a pain untangling it every day.

I use a cork or styrofoam leader board. Hooks go in first then wrap and the board has slits cut in it that pinch the last wrap of the leader. All my rigs have the wire installed in them and it keeps everything in good shape. With Ultragreen line there’s very little in the way of line kink and it goes away fast.

HL_transplant
09-03-2022, 08:05 PM
Wrapped around a chunk of pool noodle or one of these would work but pool noodle is cheaper.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220904/b033949394705d4225d34ff613b1eabc.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215W using Tapatalk

Sea Hawk
09-04-2022, 01:32 PM
I use small plastic bags as well.

EZM
09-04-2022, 01:46 PM
I use ziplock and twist tie.

Tried a few different methods and came back to the the good old trusty ziplock.

For "less bulky" leaders and rigs, I found an old CD case. A twist tie and inserting into the CD pouches works pretty good.

Small leaders with no hooks I simply use the old tiny plastic pouches from swivels/snaps and cut out a small piece of paper and write something like "40lb fluorocarbon, 48" long, male/female" or whatever, slide it back in there, and store them in my plano box.

I usually have a few of each popular line weight and length and configuration so I don't waste valuable time on the water re-tying when I could be swapping out and fishing in a few seconds.

ALSO

I know you can buy a "leader binder" with plastic zip locks all in a binder type thing as well - but not sure how good that would be for bulkier leaders or rigs.

Coiloil37
09-04-2022, 05:19 PM
I always took mine around a rectangular piece of waxy cardboard. Cut slits in it to put the line in and it’ll hold the loose end for you. Prob be easier if I had a picture but I’m not home for a few days.

You using two singles or trebles?

HL_transplant
09-04-2022, 07:01 PM
I've only ever seen guys run trebles on an anchovy special. The pre packaged ones are a single treble I believe. Some guys tie a rig with a second treble.

-JR-
09-05-2022, 07:08 AM
I wrap the line around my 4 fingers as normal ,then slip the line off my fingers and place about a 1/4 inch length of a drinking straw over the the line .
I have one plastic box just for these rigs ,and each rig gets its own spot .

Positrac
09-05-2022, 08:24 AM
I've only ever seen guys run trebles on an anchovy special. The pre packaged ones are a single treble I believe. Some guys tie a rig with a second treble.

For 25 years I’ve used dual trebles and a wire affixed to the teaser head. Any anchovy can spin but a tight bullet spin with the tail kinked up and the trailer treble looking like a tail wiggling has been the ticket for me. Twirling barbs of death….

I also salt the crap out of my anchovies until they are dried up and crinkly looking. It seems to make them not only harder but reflect the light better.

thumper
09-06-2022, 05:00 PM
I always took mine around a rectangular piece of waxy cardboard. Cut slits in it to put the line in and it’ll hold the loose end for you. Prob be easier if I had a picture but I’m not home for a few days.

You using two singles or trebles?

Quite a few of the lodges use this method.

Coiloil37
09-09-2022, 12:35 AM
Quite a few of the lodges use this method.

Yea, likely because it works well.

OP, I don’t use rigs like that anymore although I tried them over here when I got here. Nothing would touch them. That said, this was how we stored those rigs on the QCI, just using a thicker waxed cardboard and stack as many as you can fit on each piece of cardboard.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220909/1c2e76cb55fddc1141dde29e215176b2.jpg

I don’t think I’ve used a treble in the salt on purpose for 15-20 years but they work the same way for storage, just put two points into the cardboard. Throw it on the dash under the windshield and they’ll be ready when you need em.

58thecat
09-09-2022, 06:44 AM
That’s how the old man did it for 40 years, kept it simple stupid and more importantly cheap way to keep things organized.

Weavster
09-14-2022, 08:32 PM
I just wrap mine around a pool noodle that I cut into 14-16” pieces