PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas in loading a boat by yourself??

graybeard
09-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Your thoughts and method:

I have an aluminum Lund, wide 14'er I use. I am usually with a buddy so loading and off loading isn't a problem. It is when I am by myself that gives me pause.

Guys will load their boats from the water onto their trailer in a couple of ways.

1/ simply back the trailer into the water and then drive the boat onto the trailer, and out you come. Hope it doesn't slide off backwards.

2/ use a long rope and a pulley inside the box of your truck and hand-over-hand your boat onto the trailer and tie it off to some degree.

The key with me is, I am by myself; do you have any suggestions I am not thinking of?

The slightest wind can really effect your method. I know I will get wet.

Thanks,
GB

StiksnStrings
09-12-2022, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=graybeard;4557948]Your thoughts and method:

1/ simply back the trailer into the water and then drive the boat onto the trailer, and out you come. Hope it doesn't slide off backwards.

This is what I do with my 16ft Crestliner. Just hook the safety chain and/or the winch hook onto the bow eyelet and the boat should stay in place.

HL_transplant
09-12-2022, 10:38 AM
If it's just a 14' keep your trailer dry enough to that you have to winch it on the last couple inches. You shouldn't have to ever worry about it sliding backwards. Winch should be locked and safety chain on when your pulling it out of the water. Proper guides on the rear of the trailer help a lot to make sure everything is straight.

Bigwoodsman
09-12-2022, 12:44 PM
Get yourself a pair of hip or chest waders for loading and off loading by yourself. You can then winch and move around in the water with out getting wet if need be to align everything up.

BW

pikergolf
09-12-2022, 12:51 PM
Get yourself a pair of hip or chest waders for loading and off loading by yourself. You can then winch and move around in the water with out getting wet if need be to align everything up.

BW

This.

SNAPFisher
09-12-2022, 01:01 PM

BW

X3. That is what I have. Hip waders when I need them on the colder days. Also just when I don't want to get wet. A 14 foot though you can back the trailer in and just pull it on by hand. I'm pulling my 16.5 footer on by hand 99.9% of the time and almost always by myself. I only drive it on when I need to when it is windy...but even then I still usually and line it in. I just learn how far the trailer needs to be in to keep it straight and winch it up the last foot. Easy peasy.

AlbertanGP
09-12-2022, 01:09 PM
First off, I agree with the comments to have a set of hip waders with you. Sometimes it's just easier/faster to get in the water.

Having said that, a good length of rope tied to the bow eye and the winch post works wonders. Having guides on the back of the trailer makes it even easier. It's not as difficult as you think to do it yourself. Like backing in, it does take a little practice. But then it's a piece of cake at most launches.

bat119
09-12-2022, 02:46 PM
Back the trailer until the boat floats, push the boat off until it clears the trailer have a 20' rope attached to front pull the boat around the trailer into shore.

Loading same deal after the trailer is in position push the boat out use the rope to guide it on the trailer, hook up the winch line.

Works perfect if there's no wind a lot more difficult in waves, guides the back make the job much easier. you may get wet.

Dark
09-12-2022, 03:49 PM
Back the trailer until the boat floats, push the boat off until it clears the trailer have a 20' rope attached to front pull the boat around the trailer into shore.

Loading same deal after the trailer is in position push the boat out use the rope to guide it on the trailer, hook up the winch line.

Works perfect if there's no wind a lot more difficult in waves, guides the back make the job much easier. you may get wet.

Make sure the trailer is down wind push boat out wait for boat to drift back to centre pull on bow rope

Walleyedude
09-12-2022, 04:00 PM
I'd suggest a set of trailer steps like the ones in the attached pics.

They make it super simple to just step out of the boat on to the trailer tongue and access your winch strap, whether you're unhooking it or hooking it up and winching it in.

It's easier with a dock, but you don't need one, and of course, a good ramp is a major bonus.

Here's my process -

If there's a dock, tie the boat to the dock, go get the truck and back it in with the trailer right tight to the dock. Jump out of the truck, get in the boat, and run it on the trailer until it's 95% up into place. Step out and down the bow steps, winch the last little bit until it's nice and tight, do up the safety chain, then use the steps to get back into the boat. Walk down the dock, get in your truck, and drive away. Reverse it to launch. No getting wet, no hip waders, no fuss, no muss.

If there's no dock, it's the same procedure, but you've got to beach the boat, and you just drop the tailgate on the truck and then jump down from the box onto the running board and onto the ground depending how far down the ramp you are into the water.

Hopefully the ramp is deep and steep enough you can just step onto the dry ground, if not, it takes some spiderman like skills to avoid getting wet. I open the rear door of the truck a little and leave the driver door open. Then I walk down the running board holding onto the rear door and jump into the seat, it's the reverse to launch, and I use the rear tire to step on and heave myself in. Probably looks pretty comical, but it beats getting wet or dragging around hip waders, and I rarely have to do that any decent boat launch.

TROLLER
09-12-2022, 04:35 PM

BW

Thats what I do. Load by myself at least once a week

Bigwoodsman
09-12-2022, 06:26 PM
If you want I have a pair of neoprene chest waders with boots. Be pinhole I know of about waste high. If you can figure out how to get them to Calgary you can have them. Maybe AO Pony Express can get them there. Size 9 boot. You could try them and if it works for you great if not you have a set of waders.

BW

A.DENG
09-12-2022, 07:30 PM

BW

X2

Sundancefisher
09-12-2022, 07:51 PM
One of these

https://boatloader.com/boatloader.html

https://www.loadmyboat.com/products-accessories

Don’t own one myself but buddy has this style.

Works like a charm.

Jims83cj5
09-13-2022, 07:59 AM
It’s a few bux but a Drotto is awesome, google it. Drive it on, listen for the click, put it in reverse to make sure it’s latched, pull it out. Love mine

Penner
09-13-2022, 09:23 PM
I don’t intend this to be a shot but unless of a physical impairment or the like if you can’t load/off-load a 14ft boat/trailer solo not sure a person should be operating said 14ft boat. It’s a 14ft’er??? Perhaps I’m missing something.

I from time to time I solo my 17ft’er never had any issues on many different lakes/launches calm and with some chop.

DiabeticKripple
09-13-2022, 10:00 PM
I just have a pair of flip flops in my truck and use a long rope tied to the bow.

I push the boat off shore and let it float back behind the trailer, then guide the bow into the trailer, hook up the winch and crank it onto the trailer. Takes me about 2 mins to load the boat by myself this way.

ragweed
09-13-2022, 10:13 PM
I just have a pair of flip flops in my truck and use a long rope tied to the bow.

I push the boat off shore and let it float back behind the trailer, then guide the bow into the trailer, hook up the winch and crank it onto the trailer. Takes me about 2 mins to load the boat by myself this way.

I’m fishing alone 70% of the time. This is how I do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrollGRG
09-14-2022, 09:36 AM

That goes for me as well.

The thing is that you can end up over-thinking it and getting befuddled. Get out and do it once and you will see that it is quite easy and you will remember it and not have to think about what to do next.

Remember to put the plug in. :sHa_shakeshout:

TrollGRG
09-14-2022, 09:40 AM
I am in Rocky with my 14 footer. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I can meet you halfway and walk you through it. It really isn't worth the drive as it is quite simple but it might be nice to meet some other fishermen.

Frank_NK28
09-15-2022, 10:49 PM
I usually drive mine on then reach over the nose and hook the winch to the bow eye. It's not going anywhere. If I was loading at a spot that was too shallow to drive on I carried a set of hip waders and walked out and pulled it up enough to reach the bow eye with the winch strap and winched it on. My 15' and 16' Mod V duck boats were a piece of cake to load and unload alone and they were not lightweight boats. My 18' Targa is drive on or winch on and the water has to be deep enough to submerge the bunk boards full length if winching by hand. Also get a set of trailer guides, you will never regret having them!

Nova
09-16-2022, 09:42 AM
Most of my methods have been covered. No one solution because it depends on the lake and the launch, the weather and if there is a dock.

One thing I'll say is I'm not a fan of power loading as a go-to method. It's not bad knowing how to do it and having it as a backup plan for a really bad cross wind where there's no dock. But some folks become totally reliant on this method and don't seem to realize that it creates issues at gravel launches. This is how the holes are made at the launch and it eventually makes issues for everyone.

KegRiver
09-17-2022, 10:37 PM
I almost never have help so I load all my boats by myself, I have three, from 12 foot to a 17 foot deep hull with an inboard 120 hp Merc.

What works best for me is to first run out about ten feet off the loading winch.
Then power the boat onto the trailer. When it won't go on any further I leave it in gear and idling while I go forward and hook up the winch cable. Then step out onto the hitch and wind up the winch till the cable is taught.

Next I put the boat in nuatral and tilt the motor all the way up and shut it off.

Then I climb out onto the hitch and from there into the pickup box and from there onto dry land. Then drive up the ramp until the boat is complely out of the water.

Only then do I winch it up tight to the bow block, pull the plug and put on the rear tie downs and cinch them.

I do wear standard rubber boots for this job but nothing more and I've never got we feet doing it this way, or had a boat move while pulling it up the ramp.

barbless
09-19-2022, 01:46 PM
There are some great ideas for launching and retrieving your boat here. With docks are awesome and easy, without docks not so easy sometimes. Sometimes rocks all around launch. Wind conditions at certain launches, loading and unloading. I have a 17 ft Sylvan. When conditions are in my favor, loading I have a 50 ft rope attached to front hook and trailer, back in till it floats off trailer, pull out grab rope, pull to where your need it to be. Works most times and yes I do get wet especially when loading. Done it lots and with motor home launching.

ZA Angler
09-19-2022, 02:30 PM
I also launch and retrieve alone the majority of the time. Main difference in my approach is that I use my trolling motor. It can definitely streamline the whole operation if you're lucky enough to have a trolling motor with a wireless remote and GPS/spot lock functions. No time spent dealing with ropes and fenders, trying to maneuver boat by hand, etc. Also helps if there's no dock to tie to, or safe place to beach.

Basically I climb over the back of the truck from the tailgate right onto the boat. Reverse boat off trailer, kill engine and deploy trolling motor. Use trolling motor to return to dock/land, jump off boat and use wireless remote to drive boat 30 to 40 feet or so out the way and spot-lock it. Park the truck/trailer, return to the dock, and drive the boat back to me using remote. Jump on the boat and off I go. It can all be done very quickly and keeps me out of everyone else's way.

When returning I repeat the process in reverse and I generally just drive right onto the trailer all the way up to the roller. I use forward momentum to achieve this, I don't generally power-load. I only power-load if it's a nice steep launch, or completely concrete. I certainly don't want to cause issues for others on shallow gravel launches.

I then climb over the bow onto the trailer, hook up the safety chain, climb onto tailgate/bed, and from there I can climb over the side of the bed onto the rear tire and jump to dry land. Never get my feet wet if I don't mean to.

barbless
09-19-2022, 02:47 PM
I also launch and retrieve alone the majority of the time. Main difference in my approach is that I use my trolling motor. It can definitely streamline the whole operation if you're lucky enough to have a trolling motor with a wireless remote and GPS/spot lock functions. No time spent dealing with ropes and fenders, trying to maneuver boat by hand, etc. Also helps if there's no dock to tie to, or safe place to beach.

Basically I climb over the back of the truck from the tailgate right onto the boat. Reverse boat off trailer, kill engine and deploy trolling motor. Use trolling motor to return to dock/land, jump off boat and use wireless remote to drive boat 30 to 40 feet or so out the way and spot-lock it. Park the truck/trailer, return to the dock, and drive the boat back to me using remote. Jump on the boat and off I go. It can all be done very quickly and keeps me out of everyone else's way.

When returning I repeat the process in reverse and I generally just drive right onto the trailer all the way up to the roller. I use forward momentum to achieve this, I don't generally power-load. I only power-load if it's a nice steep launch, or completely concrete. I certainly don't want to cause issues for others on shallow gravel launches.

I then climb over the bow onto the trailer, hook up the safety chain, climb onto tailgate/bed, and from there I can climb over the side of the bed onto the rear tire and jump to dry land. Never get my feet wet if I don't mean to.

Sounds awesome but a lot of us do no have a lot of those electrictronics you have. Would love to have my 17 Ft get o my trailer by remote

ragweed
09-19-2022, 03:12 PM

I’ve seen this done by a few. I totally call it cheating……out of jealously of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk