PDA

View Full Version : Fishing line questions

bat119
09-12-2022, 02:16 PM
I need to respool my spinning reel I was using 8lb. Vanish after searching through old threads I see a lot of guys using braided line with a fluorocarbon leader.

Why use 10lb. braided line with a 8lb. leader? Why not just use 8lb. fluorocarbon line?

While we are on the subject why do reels take 110 yards of line you would never use half of that fishing?

akn
09-12-2022, 03:31 PM
You can cast farther with braid + leader as opposed to straight fluorocarbon. Braid is also supposed to be more sensitive & manageable.
If you snag or retie then that 110 yards is going to go down with time & if you only fill it halfway you won't be able to cast as far.

vic1
09-12-2022, 04:10 PM
From mine experience, fluorocarbon is too stiff for open face reel unless spool is large diameter. Braded line does not stretch as much so is sensitive and thinner than mono or fluorocarbon for the same strength. Leader is use to make it invisible by the lure and dropping a bit of the strength of the leader will save your main line in case of snug.

bat119
09-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Thanks for reply's that makes sense,
I put on a spinner yesterday my swivel wasn't working twisted my line rather badly as you said the vanish is stiff, I put on a weight trolled the line it took most of the twist out still had some memory to curl.

Going with some braid and the leader

Thanks again !

EZM
09-12-2022, 05:30 PM
I think most of main points are covered here and it's really about using the best/latest technology to give you every advantage ...

- 3 times as strong per diameter of line
- almost zero stretch for far superior sensitivity
- more supple and thinner per lb/break strength means far superior casting distance
- no line memory causing far less tangles, twists, etc...

The only area braid is inferior is in clarity - and a short fluoro leader fixes that problem.

And, if you want stretch, mono is better compared to fluoro.

Poppa
09-14-2022, 01:43 PM
I only use 10lb Power Pro with 2ft fluoro leader on all my set-ups. No stretch sensitivity for walleye fishing (all we really do in AB) plus the invisibility of the leader for gin clear waters like Newell and RHR. Can't beat that combo!

AlbertanGP
09-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Why use 10lb. braided line with a 8lb. leader? Why not just use 8lb. fluorocarbon line?

No one has really answered why your leader should be lower test than your main line, unless I missed it. The answer is so that if your line breaks it's the leader that breaks and not your main line. For all sorts of techniques (slip bobber fishing, Lindy rigging, bottom bouncing, etc.) this will save some of your hardware on the main line in the event of line breakage.

Equally important, the fluorocarbon is infinitely less visible to the fish than braided line, which I think has been mentioned.

Wes_G
09-16-2022, 09:58 PM
Also keep in mind that braid is way harder on rods and reels. It will wear grooves into rod and reel guides. Also depending on how heavy of line you are using, it is possible to break your rod trying to get off a snag well before your line would break. It is important to know the proper way to break off a snag.